Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:40 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel41 View Post
Does anyone remember the name of a book store in Haysland Square in the 80's and possibly the 90's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhsv View Post
Was it Book Villa? I went to the one in Athens as a kid, and seem to remember there being one in Huntsville also.
A Google search yielded this old information:
Book Villa
8920 Memorial Pkwy SW
Huntsville, Alabama 35802-3029

Mike's Merchandise is at that address now. That is a block north of Haysland Square

Haysland Square's address is 9030 & 9032A Memorial Pkwy SW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 02:51 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
This is one of those places where I would support imminent domain being used. That place is an eyesore and is in a prominent location making the city look like a dump. If the owner refuses to improve it for the benefit of the community, use imminent domain and turn it over to a developer and make it into something that will benefit the community as a whole.

After all we could use a new strip center down in that area with a mexican restaurant and a mattress store. lol

Old 03-08-2015, 06:21 PM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
This is one of those places where I would support imminent domain being used. That place is an eyesore and is in a prominent location making the city look like a dump. If the owner refuses to improve it for the benefit of the community, use imminent domain and turn it over to a developer and make it into something that will benefit the community as a whole.

After all we could use a new strip center down in that area with a mexican restaurant and a mattress store. lol
If you don't like how someone else is using their property, you support the Gov just taking it?
I love your "for the benefit of the community" line.

Wait till they come for you

Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
If you don't like how someone else is using their property, you support the Gov just taking it?

Someone who understands!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post

Normally I do not support the imminent domain law. It is actually useful in certain circumstances. In my opinion this is one of those circumstances. Someone is allowing prominent property to give a substantially negative appearance to the city which in the long run affects potential business and in turn affects us all in the way of tax base for infrastructure as well as potential employers and job growth. So yeah, in this particular case you are correct...I support the Government paying the owner the market value of the property and redeveloping it but only after requesting the property owner upgrade the property on his own and then his ultimate refusal.

They won't ever come for me.....I wouldn't allow any of my property to be a disgrace to the community like Haysland square and if you read the imminent domain laws you will see that they are designed "for the benefit of the community" in cases such as these. Don't really care whether you love it or not, I didn't write the laws.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:40 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
...if you read the imminent domain laws you will see that they are designed "for the benefit of the community"...
...and if you read the Constitution of the United States...

Constitution of the United States

Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 AM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Quote:
if you read the imminent domain laws you will see that they are designed "for the benefit of the community" in cases such as these. Don't really care whether you love it or not, I didn't write the laws.

You sure don't want to benefit the community of the property owner.
And who is the judge of what benefits the community?
Who is the judge of what property is kept up to some mythical standard?

You have opened yourself up to a slippery slope discussion.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
...and if you read the Constitution of the United States...

Constitution of the United States
Eminent domain used to mean taking land for public good. For example a new road. The Supreme Court has ruled that eminent domain can be used seize land and turn it over to another private owner that might better utilize it. For example the new owner would benefit the "public good" by bringing in more tax money.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:54 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Eminent domain has be extremely abused in the past several years for personal gain. One only need google it to see the myriad of cases.
I agree that Haysland is an eyesore and personally, it's one of my fonder memories from back in the 70s living near there and Big K.. the diner, etc... however, I disagree with using eminent domain on it.
If someone personally wants to offer the dude enough for him to sell it rather than use it as a tax write off, then fine. If he wants to sell.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Does anyone remember The D'Livery Stable restaurant that was in Haysland Square? Wow, they could cook a burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area