Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,792,066 times

Advertisements

Auburn, wanna complain about the giant menorah at Bridge Street this past year too, because there aren't many Jews in Huntsville?

I predict Keeper will be locking this thread soon so I won't belabor this discussion more than that.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Auburn, wanna complain about the giant menorah at Bridge Street this past year too, because there aren't many Jews in Huntsville?

I predict Keeper will be locking this thread soon so I won't belabor this discussion more than that.
Well, the OP is willfully ignoring one of the things that makes this country...well...fun. This country has cheerfully appropriated the various cultural trappings of its immigrants over time, giving us a rich and varied cultural life. I mean, during the past year, I've celebrated Cinco de Mayo, St. Patricks Day, and Octoberfest. We listen to bluegrass, country, blues, rock, and reggae, all of which have their roots in various national musics. That being said, I draw the line at polka. I'm convinced they play that in the eighth circle of Hell.

I count Germans, Welsh, English, Irish, Scots, Jews, and French Huguenots among my ancestors. During Christmas alone, we used Scandinavian traditions when putting up our Christmas tree, sang several carols that had French and English origins, gave poinsettias that originated in Mexico, and celebrated midnight mass with a liturgy that originated with the classical Greeks. At my daughter's choral concert, they sang two traditionally Christian songs and a Hanukkah song.

And the list goes on and on. Only a misanthrope would complain about it.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:35 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
No. Huntsville has two synagogues, and the oldest one in the state (which is actually one of if not the coolest looking building in the city in my opinion). Does that account for a large population? No, but it is a large population for Alabama, and it is a population that is present and active in the city year round. Beyond that I didn't get out to Bridge Street when it was up I guess because I didn't even know they had one.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvCity! View Post
I would rather find some common ground and discuss with you about something more productive.
Me too. Just because I love Huntsville though I'm not going to ignore questioning things that I have questions about or disagree with.

Quote:
However, I just wanted you to know that your posts seem a little asinine at times.
It's okay I think the same thing about most everyone who posts here too.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Brush View Post
You do not seem to understand what Cinco de Mayo celebrates. It celebrates the victory of outnumbered Mexican forces in Puebla over the French. Historians propose that this French loss delayed their takeover of Mexico by more than a year, such that French plans to reinforce the Confederacy were dashed. This is, in fact, why the US government endorses Cinco de Mayo as a holiday - because it is considered a indirect victory for the Union, i.e. the United States.

So that's what it has to do with the South.
There's so much more to the South than the Confederacy, and if the French weren't willing to ever give the CSA official recognition I have trouble believing they would have helped it out militarily.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:51 PM

To gather up a few loose threads I've called a truce with Savannah. It must be pretty embarassing for Boston to be surpassed by Savannah in something like this though.

My statement about a Southern parade was in direct response to the post above it so I didn't think I needed to quote it.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,609,845 times
I didn't even know Huntsville had a St. Patrick's day parade I can't wait until next year to make it down there for it!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,088 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kpr682j5DA

Old 03-22-2011, 05:38 AM

5 posts, read 10,859 times
Hey, you guys are too harsh. We even have a St. Patricks parade in Croatia, which is a country in Eastern Europe. I don't even know why, we don't have anything to do with the Irish, except that we are both Catholic

Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,609,845 times
This thread reminds me of that poster last year who came on here stating she was a black woman married to a white man and was seeking info on moving to Alabama, then miraculously in less than 2 weeks time she looked at houses, bid on it and closed on it AND moved into the house somewhere in northern Alabama and in that time experienced racism also.

Sounds like another lame attempt at trying to portray Alabama as a bunch of racist KKK folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area