Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM

53 posts, read 97,587 times

Advertisements

Diamonds, gold...that was funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Old Madison Pike Widening to begin in November. Long-awaited widening of Old Madison Pike near Cummings Research Park to start in November | al.com

What's troubling is that I thought they were going to be a brand new bridge next to the current one. But this is saying that they are actually going to close down OMP next spring for an unspecified amount of time to replace the bridge.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:18 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,280,464 times
Well I will just take Farrow Rd into Research Park.

That is going to be a fun few months while it's closed.

BUT all better in the end. I am hoping for a bike lane on the new road so I can bike from my new house to Bridgestreet.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM

34 posts, read 45,938 times
You're not getting a bike lane, unless they've change the plans. There will be a 2' shoulder instead.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadNick View Post
You're not getting a bike lane, unless they've change the plans. There will be a 2' shoulder instead.

I'm glad I didn't buy that bike!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:30 PM

I went to the public comment meeting way back when. Things could have changed, but they were furiously defending the shoulder being *better* than a bike lane, but couldn't really say why.

Also, the parking for the greenway is going to be on the east side of the bridge. There will be a sidewalk crossing the bridge, and you are supposed to walk your bike over.

You know, maybe it's just me, but I don't think creating a situation which actively encourages people to bike on the sidewalk is very smart.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadNick View Post
I went to the public comment meeting way back when. Things could have changed, but they were furiously defending the shoulder being *better* than a bike lane, but couldn't really say why.

Also, the parking for the greenway is going to be on the east side of the bridge. There will be a sidewalk crossing the bridge, and you are supposed to walk your bike over.

You know, maybe it's just me, but I don't think creating a situation which actively encourages people to bike on the sidewalk is very smart.
No clue how to plan for biking, fitness, etc, plus lowest bid. But Huntsville doesn't really care about madison which is why we get this. At least we are getting this.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
No clue how to plan for biking, fitness, etc, plus lowest bid. But Huntsville doesn't really care about madison which is why we get this. At least we are getting this.
OH yeah, no complaints here.

I can just complain about not getting it as the excuse for not exercising more!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 AM

Ah, I remember. Since OMP is a designated bike route, some Share The Road signs were better than having a bike lane. I actually have mixed feelings about that. Cyclists shouldn't have to have a marked bike lane to ride on a road, and yet given the bike-unfriendly nature of Huntsville drivers... well, I will have to have a bike lane or I'm driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
The master greenway plan is awesome. They just aren't building it.

Indian Creek Greenway is totally Huntsville's baby, so you'd think they'd care about access to that, at least. It's a very nice greenway, it gets tons of use and I'm happy to have it, even if I do have to drive to get to it!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Hey Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike! Guess what day it is? Construction start on I-565/County Line Road interchange days away after Madison sends $1.7 million check | AL.com

Money exchanging hands is a very good thing. I still don't trust ALDONT, but we are as close as ever now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area