Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 13,532 times

Advertisements

Well we officially got our orders stating that we are moving from NC to Huntsville,AL probably around June sometime. My hubby is a Marine & will be at Redstone for 3 yrs.

We have been looking into living in Madison and we were wondering about the elem & middle schools there. I have been looking on line some but, it is so hard..... one site says they are great and another has the parents complaining about things.

We do not know anyone in that area at all so it is kinda hard to just see it online. I have been looking online at homes in that area too in the $150-$200 price range. Any suggestions on where to look? I want to live in a sub-division that hopefully has alot of kids.

Any one with any advice I would really appriciate it.

Semper Fi.............Jackie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 03:42 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,895 times
Welcome to Huntsville!

With your desire to be in a subdivision and looking in that price range, you will have many options.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times
I don't have any children in the schools, but since moving to Madison 9 years ago I have heard nothing but good things about the school system. I don't believe there is any difference between the elementary and middle schools. No schools to avoid and none better or more desirable than others. In your price range and with your desire to be in a neighborhood with kids you are probably going to be looking at the newer subdivisions. There is a new moderate priced subdivision off Shelton if you are looking for new construction. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:21 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
ammowife - bless you and your Marine family.

You really can't go wrong with Madison schools or many HSV schools (look for schools that feed into Grissom or Huntsville HS).

Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 PM

232 posts, read 994,606 times
One of the best subdivisions in that price range is Deer Valley in NE Madison County. New construction, typically $169K-$210K. Full brick. Riverton Elementary School, Riverton Middle, Buckhorn High. Publix grocery store is less than 5 minutes away. Redstone is a 20-25 minute commute in normal morning/evening traffic.

Cherry Point? LeJeune? I'm a NC-brat. Welcome to Huntsville!

Last edited by Keeper; 10-20-2007 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Send PM messages are not allowed.. sorry

Old 10-20-2007, 05:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Check out valleymls.com for housing then ask here if you see something that you are interested in about the area and schools.

Welcome.. you will find the area warm and welcoming..

Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkeel1 View Post
One of the best subdivisions in that price range is Deer Valley in NE Madison County. New construction, typically $169K-$210K. Full brick. Riverton Elementary School, Riverton Middle, Buckhorn High. Publix grocery store is less than 5 minutes away. Redstone is a 20-25 minute commute in normal morning/evening traffic.

Cherry Point? LeJeune? I'm a NC-brat. Welcome to Huntsville!
Thanks for the info we are at Camp LeJeune for the 2nd time and cant wait to leave.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 AM

Thank you everyone for the great info & the warm welcome. I am excited to be able to shop at Publix again. Alls we have here is FoodLion & Piggly Wiggly.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 PM

232 posts, read 994,606 times
I understand. Eastern NC is too flat, too much sand and no scenery. You'll love it here, especially on the east/northeast side of town where most hills and trees are. Fall's here and it's starting to get pretty.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
We'd love to have you in Decatur, too! Please check us out: Decatur Morgan County Chamber of Commerce and Welcome to Decatur-Morgan County, Alabama: Great Schools, High Quality of Life and Low Cost of Living in Decatur, Alabama, Hartselle, Alabama and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area