Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM

230 posts, read 388,227 times

Advertisements

What y'all are failing to understand, grasp, and/or accept is that it is no longer a "Weather Alert" system. It is an "All Alerts" system. Buy a radio that allows you to program what alerts you choose to receive (choice...what a concept), or keep your old radio and unplug the damn thing and hope no tornadoes come to your isolated corner of the county at 3 AM.

Or I suppose you could just come onto an internet forum and complain, and be right back where you started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Thank you for your insights. I'll remember them during the next alert about a 17" long child. (I wonder if the child is only 15" whether they throw it back...)

Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Hmm... I picture a room with an unplugged Weather Radio sitting on top of an unplugged Betamax video player which is sitting on top of an unplugged analog television.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Hmm... I picture a room with an unplugged Weather Radio sitting on top of an unplugged Betamax video player which is sitting on top of an unplugged analog television.
LOL! I got the very last drops out of my Betamax recorders - the professional one w/ 3/4" tape and the two with 1/2" tape. Never regretted those purchases even though the formats changed. If I still had one that worked, it would be plugged in. The analog television IS plugged in and working great thankyewveddymuch, as are some older computers, a 1960s era toaster, and dozens of other items. I long ago discovered that newer is NOT better. I'm just waiting for people to realize their blu-rays will decay and be unplayable while my old VHS tapes are still going strong.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
...I got the very last drops out of my Betamax recorders...
Back when I had to make a choice between Betamax and VHS I did a bunch of research and came to the conclusion that Betamax was better so of course it would win-out in the end. Well... we all know the "rest of the story."

Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
What y'all are failing to understand, grasp, and/or accept is that it is no longer a "Weather Alert" system. It is an "All Alerts" system. Buy a radio that allows you to program what alerts you choose to receive (choice...what a concept), or keep your old radio and unplug the damn thing and hope no tornadoes come to your isolated corner of the county at 3 AM.

Or I suppose you could just come onto an internet forum and complain, and be right back where you started.
I agree and grasp it, even though I am not happy with it. I just think it dilutes the National Weather Service. They now have Blizzard and Baby Watches.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Here is a good sheet that describes Amber Alerts....

It is important to understand that for non-weather events....the NWS will only send out tone alerts if requested. We do not initiate...only if requested by local officials.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/resource..._factsheet.pdf

Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Here the various EAS codes used...

Emergency Alert System (EAS) Event Codes/WR Specific Area Message Encoding NWR-SAME) Codes

For those with a SAME alert weather radio..you can program which of these codes you want to be alerted for.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
My county in Tennessee started a phone system for "emergency alerts" and they claimed you could voluntarily sign up for it if you wanted. They said it would be used for emergency information and "alerts" including "amber alerts".

I knew these idiots would want to play with their new toy so I declined to sign up. I figured every time it rained I would get a phone call and every "Amber alert" in a five state area would probably disrupt my life.

Well, since I didn't sign up some idiot at the 911 center thought I must have forgotten to do it so they added my phone number to the database. It took me three calls to get it removed and they acted like I was a bad person for not wanting them to call me all the time with B.S.

I think those "Amber alerts" are a waste of time. I am not going to see any of these missing children and I wouldn't notice if I did.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 PM

659 posts, read 899,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
My county in Tennessee started a phone system for "emergency alerts" and they claimed you could voluntarily sign up for it if you wanted. They said it would be used for emergency information and "alerts" including "amber alerts".

I knew these idiots would want to play with their new toy so I declined to sign up. I figured every time it rained I would get a phone call and every "Amber alert" in a five state area would probably disrupt my life.

Well, since I didn't sign up some idiot at the 911 center thought I must have forgotten to do it so they added my phone number to the database. It took me three calls to get it removed and they acted like I was a bad person for not wanting them to call me all the time with B.S.

I think those "Amber alerts" are a waste of time. I am not going to see any of these missing children and I wouldn't notice if I did.
I'm getting the same kind of calls from my city. Supposedly you have to sign up, but I never signed up for it. And I've made several calls too and so far I'm still getting the annoying calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area