Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,805 times

Advertisements

As part of our househunting expedition, we were very intrigued by Walden Preserve but found it was overpriced. We are investigating various ideas and have spoken with people down in Hville about this builder. I just found out today that Woodland has upped the 450 HOA pool dues to 600 and that he is desperate for $$. Does anyone have more info?

I like Walden--looks like it is established. And if anyone has info regarding Cedar Springs Subd. I'd appreciate it! Also Chapel Hill.

Thanks All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,381 times
Cglover, I just checked the MLS and all the active listings, the HOA fee is still set at $450 / yr. I have not heard anything about Woodland Homes being in a money crunch, but some builders are feeling the market right now. I am not sure if Woodland homes even runs the HOA anymore, typically after a set number of homes are built, the HOA gets turned over to the homeowners.

What info would you like about Cedar Springs and Chapel Hill?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 PM

Does Chapel Hill have a pool? what are the days on market -- average -- for houses in area-- and this HOA dues-- my understanding with Walden Preserve is that Woodlands is strapped for cash and is hiking stuff to the homeowners re: HOA dues--also the pool and clubhouse are much smaller than they were told and they are being assessed far more $$ to pay for it...

what realty co are you with?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 PM

Chapel Hill does have a pool and clubhouse and is listed at $400/yr for HOA dues. The average days on market for comparable homes to Chapel Hill are 7 mos. +. The market has slowed which makes it a great time to buy. If Woodland Homes is doing that, it's not a very wise move. I have heard a lot of good things about them. I am with Rise Real Estate.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:54 AM

I'm going to confirm the Walden Preserve info this week. Thanks for intel re: Chapel Hill's DOM--of course we're facing similar concerns in the DC area--our townhouse is on the market as of 2/16--priced right and we have an aggressive realtor who knows her stuff. We hope to sell in a month, but could take up to 3 mths to so so. We don't have to move till school year 08/-09 starts in Hville. But we've always built. With a 6 mth turnaround that might not be an option. How new are the Chapel Hill homes?

Christine

Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM

Hi Christine,

I am going to ask around as well on the Walden Preserve info, let me know what you come up with. You won't find a home in Chapel Hill over 5 years old. Some of the oldest ones were built in '04. So they are all fairly new. There are two homes active right now in Chapel Hill that are new construction, and 7 total for sale.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 AM

I spoke with someone who built in Walden Preserve a and moved in a year ago. Yes the dues were changed just recently to offset a loan the builder took against the HOA to the tune of $500,000. In general the person I spoke with is very pleased with his home and location, but incensed with this unusual increase. The community is fighting it. He also said that Walden Preserve/Woodland is doing construction loans now rather than using downpayments to start construction. They are strapped. He also said the pool and clubhouse they were shown in photos looked a lot bigger and more opulent than the small one they received (I've seen it and I doubt it is worth 500K). I still love the area and location and floorplans, but I'm wondering if other builders can build there now. I've heard rumblings about it from other people we know who have relocated to the area.

It's good to know that the Chapel Hill subd. is quite young--might be a good negotiation point. I've been told to ask for the moon and above in upgrades if I build from scratch--

I just want a nice house, in the area we've chosen -- we might consider chapel hill if the right layout and floorplan comes onto the market. I've seen the two that are listed. Nice, but not our style as we want most bedrooms on main level.

Thanks for info!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
He also said the pool and clubhouse they were shown in photos looked a lot bigger and more opulent than the small one they received (I've seen it and I doubt it is worth 500K).
I agree it does not look like it took 500k to build. Thank you for the info, if you need anything else just let me know.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM

142 posts, read 675,290 times
Default RE: Woodland Homes/Walden Preserve

We live in Bishop Farms and have been pleased with our Woodland home. Our HOA is transferring to the homeowners next month, and the fees are $500. The clubhouses for Walden Preserve and Bishop Farms look similar in size, though BF's pool is smaller.

Switching to using construction loans is probably just a more prudent use of cash as homes start to take a little longer to sale.

Regarding the question on other builders coming into Walden Preserve. That will not happen. Woodland is also the developer of Walden, not just a builder. And besides that should have no bearing on the HOA fees.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 AM

Thx Southeastern! I love the floorplans for the development. what floorplan to you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area