Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 AM

641 posts, read 698,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que Pasa View Post
Coming soon to the vacant building Macaroni Grill once occupied. Another top notch Mexican restaurant.
Well, that building was originally built as Chi-Chi's. I was very surprised when it closed and became Romano's. Which of course rumors have been abundant for years that RMG would close, and I guess if you wait long enough rumor becomes fact.

I am wondering if the owners of Mid City paid to have the lease terminated, and will acquire that property.

This only leaves the bank, the theatre, the Holiday Inn, and the Steak N Shake as peripheral businesses.

The theatre is staying, but I would not be shocked to see the others go. The Holiday Inn is outdated and I expect not doing well with all of the newer hotels close by. Being next to a big construction zone will not help its occupancy rates.

The bank can likely buy one of the two Regions branches in the area since Regions is looking to close branches. That just leaves the Steak N Shake which does very well at lunch, but I am not so sure about other times of day.

I expect the developers would like to get their hands on all of the University Drive frontage, and maybe they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobo View Post
...They were also serving their entrees on these oversized square plates as if it was some sort of fine cuisine or something...
So???? Man, what some people will complain about.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
...That just leaves the Steak N Shake which does very well at lunch, but I am not so sure about other times of day...
It does well in the evening too.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
The last time we ate there, they were out of all forms of bread...no free bread, no bruschetta, no pizza, etc. The manager was indifferent and we never went back. I typically avoid bread during the week, so when we went out one weekend expecting to be able to gorge ourselves on some decent bread and oil, we were pretty disappointed to find they were out of it all. I did make sure to fill my single glass of wine to the rim to make it somewhat worthwhile.

Last edited by bmrisko; 02-22-2017 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 06:10 PM

183 posts, read 229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Well, that building was originally built as Chi-Chi's.

The original Chi-Chi's building is what was remodeled as Golden Corral. It was torn down after that and rebuilt as Macaroni Grille I believe. It further sticks in my head that Chi-Chi's and Golden Corral (same building) faced University on the diagonal, whereas Macaroni Grilled was parallel.

No matter - Macaroni Grille had taken a bad slide downhill.

This town is under-represented for good Italian cuisine, IMESHO.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 PM

375 posts, read 513,866 times
TR - I believe you are correct on the building configurations. The Chi-Chi's Mexican restaurant was there when I moved here in the early 90's. Can't remember exactly when they closed but seems like the building was vacant for a decent spell once they left. Golden Corral may have been the next tenant but I was thinking there was some other short-lived restaurant incarnation in between Chi-Chi's and Golden Corral. Romano's MG bought the property after Golden Corral closed and razed the whole structure and built it back from scratch.

I hadn't been to MG in years but had certainly noticed the prolonged downturn in their business. Several years ago you would see a waiting crowd out in front of the restaurant and a full parking lot on weekends, but that hadn't been the case in recent years. The downward fortunes of the mall probably had something to do with the decreased traffic but probably wasn't the only reason for their closure.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
MG used to be one of my favorites back in Ca. Wed night you would still have an hour wait. They had a great thing going. Then the portions got smaller, then smaller again, then a price increase.
It seemed like their attitude was "you need us more than we need you". Eventually they closed down. I don't understand how you can screw up such a successful business.
Last year I went to one here in Atlanta and it was pricey and mediocre. I'll never go there again.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:17 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que Pasa View Post
I am not really a fan of Italian restaurants. Many dont seem to be any better quality than Chef Boyardee but priced way too high. I do only enjoy Olive Garden for their soup, salad, and bread sticks lunch. But man, the one here in Huntsville smells like baby vomit.
I'm the same way. At least, since I've lived here. If I want decent Italian, I'm eating at home. Although I do enjoy a dish or 2 at Carraba's.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I'm the same way. At least, since I've lived here. If I want decent Italian, I'm eating at home. Although I do enjoy a dish or 2 at Carraba's.
Their food is ok, definitely better than Olive Garden (ick)....their blackberry sangria keeps me coming back.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyRuben View Post
...This town is under-represented for good Italian cuisine, IMESHO.
The absolute best Italian I've ever eaten was at a small Italian restaurant on Bailey Cove years ago. The chef was very friendly and had the place packed every night. One night my wife and I went, and the chef sat us at a small table in the kitchen. I'm not sure why it finally closed, it wasn't for lack of customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area