Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 03:06 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,485,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcaub View Post
Anyone have a link for the NWS radio in the HSV area that actually works?
Possibly. Try this: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/noaa-w...io/id410148139
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 08:01 PM

82 posts, read 75,077 times
Thanks for the link…. But…Meh… $5 for an app that rebroadcasts a signal that is pushed out by a government service I’ve already paid for through taxes. Pass for now

Old 01-13-2023, 09:23 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,577,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You mean get an actual weather radio that are sold most every Walmart or Amazon? Along with local tv weather apps and a midland weather radio that’s all you need.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:52 PM

483 posts, read 630,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There was something a few years back that Brad did (outside the station) that turned me off to him, and it takes time for me to rebuild trust. I will revisit though. I did see Jason has gone back to B'ham and is about to be the major on one station.
I would love to hear what Brad did outside of the station that turned you off? Especially since he lost your trust.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:38 PM

82 posts, read 75,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
You mean get an actual weather radio that are sold most every Walmart or Amazon? Along with local tv weather apps and a midland weather radio that’s all you need.
Thanks, We have two at the house, and I have a scanner in my car that picks up the NWS signal. But, I’m looking for something through the phone that’s almost always going to be with me, I’m not carrying a Midland or my Bearcat everywhere.

If I can get live ATC for HSV over the net in my phone, we certainly should be able to get NWS broadcast.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:45 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
Thanks, We have two at the house, and I have a scanner in my car that picks up the NWS signal. But, I’m looking for something through the phone that’s almost always going to be with me, I’m not carrying a Midland or my Bearcat everywhere.

If I can get live ATC for HSV over the net in my phone, we certainly should be able to get NWS broadcast.
I've been sort of searching since you posted the question originally, and I don't think the capability exists. You'd think it would, but I have a feeling the NWS budget is lacking. For instance, when you go to their website, and especially when there's interesting weather occurring, the site is very, very slow. They need new computers.

Old 01-16-2023, 06:54 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,577,060 times
Quote:

Gotcha. The local tv weather apps are probably your best option since they relay the info immediately in severe weather.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:22 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Default Ben smith wins award

Meteorologist Ben Smith of WHNT won an award but its not based on weather accuracy or even weather reports.

https://whnt.com/news/news-19s-ben-s...al-emmy-award/

Awards are nice. It states he won based on his “shining personality “, which you could put in a resume but it’s subjective and unquantifiable, in a science based field.

Old 02-26-2023, 01:28 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Meteorologist Ben Smith of WHNT won an award but its not based on weather accuracy or even weather reports.

https://whnt.com/news/news-19s-ben-s...al-emmy-award/

Awards are nice. It states he won based on his “shining personality “, which you could put in a resume but it’s subjective and unquantifiable, in a science based field.
Is that something you say to a bald man?

Old 02-26-2023, 04:47 PM

537 posts, read 444,313 times
I never watch weathercasters locally or nationally. Locally, they go nuts when there's a big storm coming--especially a snow storm.

I will admit the local weather radars are the best there is. I would assume they might have been engineered and built here. Even cities like Atlanta never had radars the quality of what Huntsville has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area