Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialoldlady View Post
what going on in town lakes, many rumors, hear there is alot of complaints about things not done, is it true?????,
I'm curious as what you mean by this statement....

I just wanted to come into this forum as someone who has recently signed a contract for a towne lake home to be built. I'm a new entry level engineer that just started working for MDA as part of the 60 hired for their career development program. Let me know if anyone has questions on their policies, as I looked many different places, and weighed all the pros/cons and decided on towne lakes as being the best fit for me. It seems perfect for young people just starting professional careers.

I do know the relation between Adams Homes and Breland, as I know a salesman for Adams. Adams used to have buy land that Breland would develop. Breland decided to start building homes pretty recently, which is why Towne Lakes is half Adams, half Breland. It also explains why Adams homes are about 10-15k more for the same sq. ft. Breland is building on their own developed land, Adams is building on land bought from Breland.

Also, the builder is the same for both companies, and can easily be confirmed by walking through both of their homes. I've worked construction before, and the actual build style and quality is absolutely good in both their homes. The difference is mainly just lower quality materials compared to the higher dollar homes. To be expected in an entry level home, however.

Again I'm open to answering anyone's questions, as someone going through the buying process with them presently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 PM

13 posts, read 53,776 times
did you bring the contract to a lawyer and have him review it,????maybe they will do it for free,,,, it is one sided, all for the builder.. if they want to change things while they are building , they do. in fact they can do just about anything they want....where is your protection, it is your hard money being spent, is there any thing in the contract that says you are protected if they do something you do not like or did not want ?????
the contruction is ok , there were many nails that hit no boards at all and the hard working men building the home go very very fast , so i will leave the end result for you to decide.... they want to put it together as fast as they can, which is ok if the work is up to good standards, remember you get what you pay for.... these are cheaper starter homes.make sure to watch and see what they do???? look at the other homes being built before you , walk thru them while being built , you will see the the standard of construction,, not so good?????/

Last edited by Keeper; 08-21-2009 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: consumer complaint

Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 PM

346 posts, read 851,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothnic View Post

I just wanted to come into this forum as someone who has recently signed a contract for a towne lake home to be built. I'm a new entry level engineer that just started working for MDA as part of the 60 hired for their career development program. Let me know if anyone has questions on their policies, as I looked many different places, and weighed all the pros/cons and decided on towne lakes as being the best fit for me. It seems perfect for young people just starting professional careers.

I do know the relation between Adams Homes and Breland, as I know a salesman for Adams. Adams used to have buy land that Breland would develop. Breland decided to start building homes pretty recently, which is why Towne Lakes is half Adams, half Breland. It also explains why Adams homes are about 10-15k more for the same sq. ft. Breland is building on their own developed land, Adams is building on land bought from Breland.

Also, the builder is the same for both companies, and can easily be confirmed by walking through both of their homes. I've worked construction before, and the actual build style and quality is absolutely good in both their homes. The difference is mainly just lower quality materials compared to the higher dollar homes. To be expected in an entry level home, however.

Again I'm open to answering anyone's questions, as someone going through the buying process with them presently.

Are you new to the area? We looked at this particular development late last year and while it may be a booming area in 10 years, we decided to look in other areas of town. Granted also we weren't sure if resale values would be great in this neighborhood, if we wanted to upsize. Personally, I wasn't jazzed with having some kind of plant and Triana as neighbors. As well as the DDT concentration in the area, which my hubby researched on when we were looking at buying a home. All this is just my opinion and our thoughts on this particular area.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 30,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamachic80 View Post
Are you new to the area? We looked at this particular development late last year and while it may be a booming area in 10 years, we decided to look in other areas of town. Granted also we weren't sure if resale values would be great in this neighborhood, if we wanted to upsize. Personally, I wasn't jazzed with having some kind of plant and Triana as neighbors. As well as the DDT concentration in the area, which my hubby researched on when we were looking at buying a home. All this is just my opinion and our thoughts on this particular area.
I recently checked out the Towne Lakes community, and wasn't overly impressed. The homes were decent, but I foresee a significant issue with resale in the area.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:

Breland and Adams are not the same company nor same builder. Breland was developing, with no plans to build. Adams had committed to buy down X number of lots from Breland, then did not buy down what they had committed to. So Breland came back into the building market with a vengance, literally. Louis Breland began building a very comparable product to Adams at a lower price. Go look at River Landing...three Adams homes and the Breland portion is bustling. Adams has had to drop prices a good bit out there to compete with Breland. This is happening in their other neighborhoods as well, such as Fieldstone. Breland is BLOWING Adams away with sales.
As for "special old lady"....Both Breland and Adams build a respectable home. Both are very good companies to work with and offer great warranties on their homes. I have an Adams home under contract for a client and it has been one of the smoothest new construction transactions I have ever done. Very clean home inspection, and they are extremely quick to correct any issues. They have been outstanding to work with, and I have heard nothing but glowing reviews of Breland as well. As a matter of fact, it is near impossible to find a completed Breland home on the market right now...they are selling FAST.
If you indeed have a "valid" complaint about either company, then maybe you should consult with the Better Business Bureau.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 PM

10 posts, read 40,379 times
Quote:

We decided to go ahead and build there too. My husband is also an engineer and we have a couple of friends who are "young people just starting professional careers" who are also building there. We looked at how the construction is going on their homes and they look like they are being well built. As far as the comment by specialoldlady about people being able to park their cars on their lawns, etc. the bylaws and restrictions are pretty strict and one of them is that you can't even park your car on the street; it has to be parked in your driveway or in the garage. We also called the police department and the officer we talked with told us we shouldn't be worried about building there. We'll see how it goes.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 AM

10 posts, read 30,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohuntsville View Post
We decided to go ahead and build there too. My husband is also an engineer and we have a couple of friends who are "young people just starting professional careers" who are also building there. We looked at how the construction is going on their homes and they look like they are being well built. As far as the comment by specialoldlady about people being able to park their cars on their lawns, etc. the bylaws and restrictions are pretty strict and one of them is that you can't even park your car on the street; it has to be parked in your driveway or in the garage. We also called the police department and the officer we talked with told us we shouldn't be worried about building there. We'll see how it goes.
Best of luck to you! I think you get a great value on homes in Towne Lakes. I considered Towned Lakes, River Landing (HPH was the builder we looked at there I believe), but ultimately ended up in East Limestone in a development by Legacy Homes. Did you buy a lake lot? When I looked at one of the spec homes on a lake lot, I was somewhat concerned by possible erosion along the waterfront. The backyard we looked at was already rather small, and there were signs of erosion beginning along a storm drain directly behind the yard, which over time may creep into the yard. My only other concern was the potential for resale in 3-5 years with the HUGE amount of development going on in the Zeirdt road area.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Folks.. this is NOT the right place for consumer complaints. You can not recommenda business but send a DM with specifics.

Please report any posts that violate the Terms of Service.

I agree if you have doubts about any business check with the BBB

Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 PM

10 posts, read 40,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonclarkusaf View Post
Best of luck to you! I think you get a great value on homes in Towne Lakes. I considered Towned Lakes, River Landing (HPH was the builder we looked at there I believe), but ultimately ended up in East Limestone in a development by Legacy Homes. Did you buy a lake lot? When I looked at one of the spec homes on a lake lot, I was somewhat concerned by possible erosion along the waterfront. The backyard we looked at was already rather small, and there were signs of erosion beginning along a storm drain directly behind the yard, which over time may creep into the yard. My only other concern was the potential for resale in 3-5 years with the HUGE amount of development going on in the Zeirdt road area.
We decided not to go with a lake lot because of similar concerns as well as the fact that where there is standing water there is a higher concentration of mosquitos/bugs. We took into consideration the resale issue too but we plan on being there a minimum of 7-10 years and so hopefully that won't be an issue. I definitly understand building there isn't for everyone, but it seemed to be the best fit for us.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Breland and Adams are not the same company nor same builder. Breland was developing, with no plans to build. Adams had committed to buy down X number of lots from Breland, then did not buy down what they had committed to. So Breland came back into the building market with a vengance, literally. Louis Breland began building a very comparable product to Adams at a lower price. Go look at River Landing...three Adams homes and the Breland portion is bustling. Adams has had to drop prices a good bit out there to compete with Breland. This is happening in their other neighborhoods as well, such as Fieldstone. Breland is BLOWING Adams away with sales.
As for "special old lady"....Both Breland and Adams build a respectable home. Both are very good companies to work with and offer great warranties on their homes. I have an Adams home under contract for a client and it has been one of the smoothest new construction transactions I have ever done. Very clean home inspection, and they are extremely quick to correct any issues. They have been outstanding to work with, and I have heard nothing but glowing reviews of Breland as well. As a matter of fact, it is near impossible to find a completed Breland home on the market right now...they are selling FAST.
If you indeed have a "valid" complaint about either company, then maybe you should consult with the Better Business Bureau.
Yeah I know they aren't they same company, but they might as well be. A good many employees moved from Adams to them when Breland started building. I was told the name of the contracted builder for their homes from an Adams employee, then the name of the contractor for Breland and they were the same. The trim work in the houses look identical, also. They very well could be wrong though.

And to speciallady, I read the whole contract word for word with my agent right there. I had no problems with it, and added, with no problem, to the contract that the house will be finished by Nov. 31st for the tax credit.

I agree that the large building is something to consider, along with the run down neighborhood down the road. I got a lake lot looking out across the lake where the building is not as an extra to help with resale down the road, a security system, and didn't see any problem with erosion where my lot is. The lake has been there for who knows how long, and there isn't any visible at the moment. I can't imagine why it would instantly speed up. My concerns as someone just starting a job was getting a place close to a gate on the arsenal, but didn't want to get an apartment paying the same in rent as I'll be paying on the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area