Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM

81 posts, read 279,259 times

Advertisements

I have heard water is really expensive in Madison. How does the taxes, other utilities and insurance payments measure up?

Thanks,
Misty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,687 times
Helpful info: Madison County Property Tax Facts

Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Here are the utility rates for Hampton Cove:

Huntsville Utilities Rates

Madison Water Rates

http://www.madisonwaterboard.org/docs/RATE%20RESOLUTION%20WWB-118-09%20Rate%20Resolution%20Corrected%2004-23-09.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,430 times
Don't know what the rates are but seems to me since we have lived in the city of Madison and now in the Little Cove area (city limits) that water is cheaper over here. Even watering everyday it is cheaper. Could be my imagination though.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 AM

173 posts, read 331,786 times
Default can anyone please explain why utility rates seem to be critical to a lot of people ?

Unless you live in the country and have to spend thousands of dollars to get utilites services to reach your property, or are unemployed or have similar drastic circumstances, I've never understood why so many people ask about utility prices.

We have virtually no control over the rates, so what may be less today, could be raised tomorrow by the council or utility board. Would anyone actually move back because utility rates changed? If a decision to move is based on say a $20 to even $50 per month difference in utility costs, wouldn't that mean they're trying to get more house than their budget can handle? I can't imagine anyone who is able to buy in Madison or Hampton Cove in the first place would have difficulty paying a few more dollars for utilities. If it's truly a budget issue, most if us have probably a dozen or more minor adjustments we can make to cover a few more $'s for utilities, such as eating out once less each month. I suggest people assess their priorties to find where they'll be happiest on a day to day basis; schools, commute to work, etc. and if it happens to cost a few dollars more to be happier - isn't it worth it?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julilg View Post
I've never understood why so many people ask about utility prices.

Would anyone actually move back because utility rates changed? If a decision to move is based on say a $20 to even $50 per month difference in utility costs,
Pretty much the same thing on taxes, liberal vs conservative, even (to a lesser degree) weather. The differences aren't really that extreme. People on the CA forums are writing they want to leave the state because of high taxes. I write back that the extra taxes they pay probably aren't in the top five reasons of why they really want to leave, but it is rather the more significant stuff (high housing costs, jobs, traffic, challenging effort to find good school districts, etc.)

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Unless you live in the country and have to spend thousands of dollars to get utilites services to reach your property, or are unemployed or have similar drastic circumstances, I've never understood why so many people ask about utility prices.
I guess people are comparing everything (taxes, utility, etc.) when chosing neighborhoods. But I agree with you that I don't think utility differences will be that big of a decision factor. Personally, it's school district, ease of commute, and general area quality of live are bigger factors than the difference in utility rate.

It is important to point out, for out-of-state relocation, that utility bill here can run as much as $300+ per month and is a significant part of your monthly budget, considering it can be 25% of your monthly mortgage! Buying an energy-efficient house can save a couple of hundred $ on your monthly bill and that is greater than any difference in city utility rates.

For example, when I was considering moving here my future boss 'brag' about how inexpensive electricity cost here is because of the TVA. I asked how much is his electric bill per month, he said $250~$400 during winter & summer, less in the spring & fall. I then informed him that in California I typically pay $35 per month for electric plus another $25~$30 for gas (for heat & cooking). So much for his justification for low-balling initial salary offer

Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 PM

173 posts, read 331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I guess people are comparing everything (taxes, utility, etc.) when chosing neighborhoods. But I agree with you that I don't think utility differences will be that big of a decision factor. Personally, it's school district, ease of commute, and general area quality of live are bigger factors than the difference in utility rate.

It is important to point out, for out-of-state relocation, that utility bill here can run as much as $300+ per month and is a significant part of your monthly budget, considering it can be 25% of your monthly mortgage! Buying an energy-efficient house can save a couple of hundred $ on your monthly bill and that is greater than any difference in city utility rates.

For example, when I was considering moving here my future boss 'brag' about how inexpensive electricity cost here is because of the TVA. I asked how much is his electric bill per month, he said $250~$400 during winter & summer, less in the spring & fall. I then informed him that in California I typically pay $35 per month for electric plus another $25~$30 for gas (for heat & cooking). So much for his justification for low-balling initial salary offer
It is wise to consider all potential expenses/savings before making a move, particularly one which is likely to have signficant differences, such as out-of-state relos. The emphasis on utility comparisons around here, even just from one house to another in the same neighborhood, baffles me. I've seen homes for sale proudly advertising recent utility bills - Hello? Maybe they don't use the AC/heat as much as the next owner will. Advertising energy efficient features makes far more sense to me.

TVA electricity per unit is less than most of the nation. However, in CA's moderate climate I didn't use as much so my utility bills are higher here, but not by near as much as my mortgage pymt is lower.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
in CA's moderate climate I didn't use as much so my utility bills are higher here, but not by near as much as my mortgage pymt is lower.
That's probably because you're one of those that bought a "cheap house" that has your fancy neighbors worry about their declinging property values!

[disclaimer: before anyone bash me for bad taste (again), this is my continuing poking fun at a related thread on Hampton Cove Area - Breland Building smaller homes]

Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,430 times
Just a thought about utility bills. I understand your point but sometimes as a buyer one might want to just see what ballpark figure it is for budgeting.purposes. Of course there are all sort of variables that need to be considered! I just want to see if the house is energy eficient as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area