Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgrl View Post
the parking is most definitely one of the biggest downfalls..
I still don't understand the comments about parking and walking into Bridge Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgrl View Post
i know there are many many sophisticated, stylish people in huntsville...
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/wa4uiv/Cave%20City%20Hamfest%202009/CaveCityHamfest2009004.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 PM

379 posts, read 849,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
And you actually believe this place will still get built anytime soon?
I did not say that I believe it would be built soon. I just want the Waterstone developers to learn from the mistakes made by Bridge Street and not cater to only high-end shoppers.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:33 PM

355 posts, read 963,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I still don't understand the comments about parking and walking into Bridge Street.

Lets just say if a fit & young man (<30) like myself grips about having to walk to a store in Bridge Street, then they will definitely will tick off the older and less fit customers. (Average weight of men and women around here looks to be over 200lbs)

Old 09-20-2009, 08:42 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,870 times
Charles, I'm speaking for someone like my Mom...she can walk a fair distance, but not the entire length of Bridge Street...The last time I took her, we had to leave. She was just worn out. She loves it there, but just can't do it. At Madison Mall, she can at least park near her favorites and not walk as far. If I do take a wheelchair for her, I'm certainly not going to push her around in the rain/cold. I don't even want to shop there when it is raining.

If I had young kids, the last thing I would want to do would be haul them around in the cold/rain to shop. yikes! Maybe only the women get the parking thing? Then again, it's the women that shop

I've seen my fair share of lifestyle malls, as I'm sure you have too. I do believe Bridge Street is one of the more beautiful ones, with the lake, etc. I just think it could have been planned a bit better with the parking issues.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:51 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
Elizabeth, I agree that Bridge Street even though very nice could have been planned a little better. For example, the Forum up in the Peachtree Corners area of Atlanta is a lifestyle mall but planned so that you can park and walk into the back of the stores but in the middled you must walk and have community. So if you want to just run into one store fast it is possible. By the way, great Trader Joes there!! I am glad that Huntsville has Bridge Street but I do wish it had a more mix of stores.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:10 PM

168 posts, read 559,861 times
Charles, do these people know you are posting their image to make a point about being fat? I hope so!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamoore View Post
Charles, do these people know you are posting their image to make a point about being fat? I hope so!
Those guys may wear 20 year old clothes and drive a 1978 car with duct tape and wear black shoes with a brown belt or wear brown shoes with black pants but they make well into the six figures and have a seven figure 401(k).

(By the way, those are unprotected photos - just to stay out of trouble.)

Old 09-21-2009, 06:11 AM

179 posts, read 392,669 times
Just when will people learn the joy of walking? That is why Bridgestreet is such a great shopping mall. The unwillingness to walk inevitably leads to the inability to walk. The inability to walk leads to fewer choices in life and more cost, inconvenience and the discomfort of poor health.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times
I like Bridgestreet, but there's little of retail value for me there. My family will go to the bookstore, grab a coffee, walk the area and see what's new at the Apple store - we're above the target age of Old Navy, which is just about the only clothing store we'd buy from there.

Hard for us to justify driving to the opposite side of town for a coffee - but we do it once in awhile on good weather days. IMO, they kind of screwed up by not wrapping the place in office buildings and lunch places - in order to make the place profitable on weekdays. One of the things I liked about working in DC was being able to step outside my office and walk down to grab a sandwich or whatever. Driving to and fro is such a hassle.

Huntsville has a lot of strange development. Providence anyone? I can see the pitchline now: "We'll build a faux downtown area in a town that all but abandoned its downtown area... it's brilliant!"

Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
I still stand on my beliefs that a more "user friendly" park and walk plan would make it more accessible for everyone.
What the heck do you think people do at a normal mall? I don't recall being able to park in front of a particular store aside from the major anchor stores and a select few mall entrances. There are at least 3 major places to park at Bridge Street...1 on each end and one kind of in the middle. People must be getting lazy these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area