Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,828 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about moving to Huntsville in a few months.

What options are available for good dependable Broadband High Speed Internet Service ?
I currently use RoadRunner Cable here in Texas but it appears it is not available in Huntsville.

Also,.... I am intereted in knowing what the monthly charge would be for just High Speed Internet Connection.

I tried searching online but all I can find is "Package Deals" for TV, Phone and Internet. I ONLY want internet. NO TV cable

Thnaks in advance for info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:18 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
The cable companies here offer the best bet at about $35-45 a month for just internet alone. Last time I looked. Be careful where you move though since the providers like Medicom have "oversold" their service IMHO. I'm no where near the bandwidth advertised and the signal dips to -15 ohms (not a tech person, but it makes the internet slow and the cable pixelated/skip) during prime time.

I'm in the middle of deciding to dump cable and go for dish/dsl. Why pay for a fat pipe when I'm getting twisted pair service?

That's the only thing I miss about big city life, fiber to the door.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
We have the Cable/Internet package deal for $28/mo. from Knology. If you can get that, why wouldn't you take the "package". We have had it for over a year and it has been consistently reliable for us. We also use VOIP phone, so we just plug the adapter into the modem and we get consistent service, no cut offs and very clear voice line. (BTW, we only pay $17/mo for VOIP)

When we were in California, we had Time Warner/ Road Runner service. Knology has been just as good or better so far.

When house hunting, you'll need to ask what cable company service the area. Some are good and some are not so good.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:18 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
In our area I can't get cable and if I did it would be COMCAST. However I can get AT&T DSL. So far it is pretty good and I pay about 43/month for it alone. Could bundle but don't offer what we want. We also have Direct TV which has been good but in my opinion too expensive.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Comcast
Knology
Bellsouth

maybe others

Comcast highspeed (6-14 Mbps typically), cable, and free national phone is around $109 now.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:51 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Good job

Now can KEEPER combine them into one thread?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the information.

The area will probably be Southeast Huntsville or maybe Madison.
Do those areas have good service?

By the way, please excuse the mis-spelled words in my first post.
I was typing in a hurry and did not take the time to proof read.
Wow... how embarrassing !!!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM

Those are great links "Southeastern"
I can see now, I should have done a 'Search' before I posted my question.
But as I said.... I was in a hurry.

I guess I'm just so excited about the possibility of getting out of Texas

Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,868,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
That's the only thing I miss about big city life, fiber to the door.
Out in the Owens Crossroads area we have fiber. It's costly though, New Hope Telephone Coop makes you subscribe to phone service to get it (which pisses me off but what can you do?) They say they rely on gov subsidy for each phone line, so more lines = more subsidy.

I end up paying about $75/mo. just for internet (since we don't use a landline phone). The speed is okay, pretty sad for fiber, nothing like Verizon FiOS in DC. I get between 3M and 5M down and consistently over 7M up (crazy, because usually ISPs severely limit your upload speed). Awesome latency, less than 30 ms usually.

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

At work I get ~ 13M down and < 1M up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area