Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:06 PM

355 posts, read 963,856 times

Advertisements

When it comes time to sell my house in the near future, will having a termite bond make my home more valuable?

I'm contemplating cutting out the termite bond this year. It is $175/yr now and it came with my brand new house a few years ago. Just not sure if its worth it if nobody cares when they buy my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:28 PM

482 posts, read 990,733 times
Termite bonds can be a plus, but in all honesty, I've never seen a deal made or lost strictly because of whether or not there was one on the property. It comes down to this. If a buyer wants one, they'll get it on their own or ask you to buy the first year for them. Don't get me wrong, a bond is definitely worth the money, but I doubt not having one will affect the sale of it.

The buyer will be more concerned as to whether or not there is any evidence of previous/current infestation, but that will be found out when a termite letter is provided.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I wouldn't buy a house without a valid "termite damage repair bond" as it is quite expensive to get one after the fact. Some sellers claim they have a "termite bond" but what they have is a guarantee from the issuer that the termite infestation will be eliminated - not that the resulting damage will be repaired at no cost to the owner.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM

355 posts, read 963,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I wouldn't buy a house without a valid "termite damage repair bond" as it is quite expensive to get one after the fact. Some sellers claim they have a "termite bond" but what they have is a guarantee from the issuer that the termite infestation will be eliminated - not that the resulting damage will be repaired at no cost to the owner.
This is what I have, and I think its quite expensive to start one from scratch. The problem is I don't think buyers will really value this add on enough for me to continue the expense.

I am just having a hard time justifying $175 for 'peace of mind'. I hate insurance.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:16 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Actually, it really depends on the type of bond you have. There are some that just cover the cost of treatment of any infestations, but do not cover any damage to the property as a result of termites. These are basically useless in my opinion. If you have a repair/replacement bond, I would continue my service because those are quite costly to start up and they do have a good deal of value to buyers these days. A repair/replacement bond will cover all repairs required due to termite damage, and treatment of the infestation. We live in an area with a HUGE problem with termites. I would not look at it from a resale point of view, I would look at it as protecting your investment. Check and see what kind of bond you have.

Termites can do ALOT of damage, sometimes damage that cannot be readily seen. Bonds give peace of mind to homebuyers that, should damage occur, they are covered. I sold a few houses last year that had some pretty extensive termite damage but both sellers were covered with repair bonds, so all the damage was repaired satisfactorily and the buyers were happy since they had a bond conveying with the property.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 13,572 times
company won't honor retreatment guarantee

Old 07-02-2010, 07:41 AM

339 posts, read 1,166,751 times
I would not go without termite bond in the south any more than I'd go without anti-freeze in a Montana winter. In Florida I had a termite bond, and sure enough when I sold my house the buyers inspector found some damage that the bond took care of. Here I happily write a $125 every year.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
The bank or mortgage company may require an active termite bond as a condition of financing.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Lenders do not require termite bonds, but they will require a clean termite letter regardless of the type of loan. Even the most regulated of goverment loans (FHA, VA, USDA, ect) do not require termite bonds on the property.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
When it comes time to sell my house in the near future, will having a termite bond make my home more valuable?

I'm contemplating cutting out the termite bond this year. It is $175/yr now and it came with my brand new house a few years ago. Just not sure if its worth it if nobody cares when they buy my house.
Penny wise and pound foolish. I would under no circumstance stop paying the termite bond on my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area