Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Will Maine really get a hurricane? Hurricane IRENE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
could be the one that slams new york

Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Looks like it will brush the Outer Banks and then head straight for Cape Cod. Same exact path as last years hurricane at this time. You gotta bet the Weather Channel people are feeling blue right now, they really hyped this.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
could be the one that slams new york

I cant' even remember the last time we had a big hurricane here. We're probably due for one.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:59 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
FWIW, the new 12Z European model has the worst case scenario for NYC... basically Irene makes landfall as a roughly strong category 3 in Cape May, NJ while heading N/NNE just over or to the left of NYC as a very large category 2... the storm surge from such a storm would be beyond imaginable considering the funneling effect of the coastline near New York.

Fortunately it is just one model, and there is still enough time for the path to change from that (though the European model is generally the most accurate)

Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Wouldn't that be so funny? I just moved from Miami...been in Maine three months...and there's a slight possibility.

C'mon.

When I think Maine, or New England for that matter, I do not think, "hurricanes".

Oh well, having been through them before, at least I know what to do. Just hope others here do, as well. Although, considering the preps they make for winter time, they should be ok if they pay attention.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Wouldn't that be so funny? I just moved from Miami...been in Maine three months...and there's a slight possibility.

C'mon.

When I think Maine, or New England for that matter, I do not think, "hurricanes".

Oh well, having been through them before, at least I know what to do. Just hope others here do, as well. Although, considering the preps they make for winter time, they should be ok if they pay attention.
It will be far worse where it hits in much warmer open water with the counter clockwise flow than near you. I shudder at what could happen in say Nantucket or the eastern end of Long Island with the right conditions. I personally saw the aftermath of Andrew in Miami and Katrina along the Mississippi coast. Even the CAT 1 that hit Galveston three years ago caused catastrophic damage from storm surge on the low lying parts of the barrier island.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
FWIW, the new 12Z European model has the worst case scenario for NYC... basically Irene makes landfall as a roughly strong category 3 in Cape May, NJ while heading N/NNE just over or to the left of NYC as a very large category 2... the storm surge from such a storm would be beyond imaginable considering the funneling effect of the coastline near New York.

Fortunately it is just one model, and there is still enough time for the path to change from that (though the European model is generally the most accurate)

I've been reading this thread but I don't know what some of things you say mean. What is the 12z European model?

Someone else upthread talked about Oz.. or Dz.. what does that mean?

thanks, Laurie

Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I've been reading this thread but I don't know what some of things you say mean. What is the 12z European model?

Someone else upthread talked about Oz.. or Dz.. what does that mean?

thanks, Laurie
0Z and 12Z represent the initial times computer models are run (some models also have 6Z and 18Z runs)

Z= Zulu time, GMT, or UTC. During summer/daylight time, subtract four to get Eastern Daylight Time... and during standard time, subtract five to get to Eastern Standard Time.

The model initialized at 8 AM EDT... it takes quite a while for all of the calculations to be run, and the images begin to be released around 2 PM EDT.

The European Model is the major global meteorological computer model run by the ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasting).

Other major global models include:

GFS - Global Forecasting System (released by NCEP, or the US National Centers of Environmental Prediction)... this is formerly/sometimes still called the AVN or Aviation model.

CMC- Canadian Meteorological Centre global model (in Canada and other places it is sometimes referred to as the GGEM model)

UKMET- United Kingdom MetOffice global model

For hurricanes specifically, there are two dynamical hurricane models:

GFDL- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory hurricane model

HWRF- Hurricane-Weather Research and Forecasting hurricane model

There are still yet several statistical models, with the main one being for hurricane intensity (SHIPS or DSHPS [Decay-SHIPS] model)

...and then there are many others that aren't as important to look at such as NOGAPS, JMA, NAM, LBAR, BAMS/M/D, etc.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:56 PM

thanks for the explanations. I really appreciate it. I was getting a little lost when reading the posts here and now they all make more sense.

Since i live in Staten Island one of the little boroughs of NYC.. do you think I should prepare for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes