Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 10:28 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,635,252 times

Advertisements

Midday Tuesday:
-Lake Houston dam spillway now releasing 375,000cfs (168million gallons/min) per Harris County Flood Control.
-Addicks using its spillway but still backing up into homes behind the dam.
-Columbia Lakes in Brazoria County TX (South of Houston) levee breached, Co. officials telling people get off their cell phones there as emergency calls being dropped with system too bogged down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:44 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,694,844 times
Galveston is being battered right now. Flash flood warning, storm surge, 38 mph winds, and of course rain.

https://www.click2houston.com/weathe...ch-toward-gulf

Old 08-29-2017, 11:48 AM

Landfall in Louisiana Wednesday 7 AM --
https://www.click2houston.com/weathe...ch-toward-gulf

Old 08-29-2017, 11:57 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Just wanted to say thanks to Psychoma and the rest who contributed to this thread and the hurricane forum. Keep it up! Good stuff and will be so nice to look back on. (Like a weather Diary!)

Old 08-29-2017, 03:33 PM

Prelim storm rain totals thus far as of Tuesday afternoon 29 Aug 2017, now the highest tropical cyclone rain total at a single location in the continental US since Tropical Storm Amelia in 1978 which also hit Texas. (Highest goes to Hawaii in 1950 storm at 52in).

Old 08-29-2017, 03:45 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Houston Lake dam failure analysis

It has not failed yet, however, it is almost certain to exceed design limit.

The dam has a giant spillway over 3000 feet long. The spillway is designed to release water from Lake Houston after it reaches 41 feet high.

This is an update to my analysis after level of the lake rose from 51 ft to 52.38 ft.

This means right now the dam is one big waterfall 3000 feet long and 11 feet thick.

It is a good dam.

The spillway was designed for a huge flow. It is made from reinforced concrete. It is highly unlikely that the 3000 foot long section will fail.
However, dams have limits.

No one expected rain like Houston has been having now.

Engineers never expected the level of Lake Houston to exceed 54 feet.
Right now we are less than 2 ft from design limit.

The dam won't fail exactly at 54 feet. Engineers always build in a safety factor.
Provided the dam has been well maintained it should hold fine.

This said, the rest of the walls of the dam are only 60 feet high. This means if the lake rises to 60 feet it will spill over walls not intended to act as a spillway.

Again, the big long 3000 foot section is fine since it is designed to spill water.

If the whole dam is overwhelmed, failure should be expected. It all depends on how high and for how long.

If there is a failure, obviously the flow of the San Jacinto will increase.
My best guess is flow will go from about 600,000 cfs to 900,000 cfs.

BTW The average flow of the Mississippi is right around 600,000 cfs and the peak measured flow was several million cfs.

It is not as if there isn't already a flood. The fact is, the flood is happening whether the dam fails or not.

Many people only talk about the rain event of 1994.

The lake level peaked at 52.79 ft. That was pretty close to the design limit of 54 ft.
If a non-hurricane rain event almost overwhelmed the dam in 1994, wouldn't that have been a big wakeup call? Apparently not. Houston continued building, continued damaging wet lands and made the situation worse.
No one seems to have considered it important to modify the dam so it would safely spill more water.

Certainly at this point we have to accept that the current rain event will cause the lake level to go higher, and the maximum design limit will be exceeded.

I have been tracking three river guages for rivers going into Lake Houston. One is now maxed out and can't read any higher. They just never dreamed to put the guage higher than 20 feet above the riverbanks. This means right now the East Fork of the San Jacinto has spilled over it's banks 20 feet deep in all directions.

The West Fork of the San Jacinto is now reading over 67 feet and close to reaching maximum reading too. This means the flow in this channel going to Lake Houston is already more than the rain event of 1994.

One thing people might think is the dam is supposed to help with flood control. This particular dam doesn't.

The reason is capacity. The total volume of Lake Houston is about 5 billion ft3.
That may sound big, however, you must consider how big the figure is for total volume coming into the lake per second. It's 100s of thousands of ft3/sec.
Even if authorities emptied Lake Houston just before Harvey struck, the Lake would have been full again in a few hours.

There is big spillway and two gates to release water from Lake Houston. Using an estimated 10 ft/sec flow rate I found the spillway and gates should be able to release 600,000 cfs before the dam is over topped.

Will the flows reach 600,000 cfm?

Maybe, it depends largely on how much rain falls in the next 48 hours. Reports are between 10-20 inches. Not good.

Do I believe the dam will over top and fail. Well, let me put it this way. If I were below this dam I would be very interested to monitor current level.

Here is a link: https://waterdatafortexas.org/reserv...vidual/houston

There were two rain events which exceeded 1994. However, both occurred before Lake Houston dam was built. One event was 1929 and the other 1940.

An analysis I found performed based on the 1929 event estimated that the flow in the San Jacinto peaked at 600,000 cfs.

It is perhaps not coincidental this is the number I determined to be absolute maximum spillway capacity. The engineers who designed the dam must have looked back to that 1929 flood.

So what will happen?

I can't say for sure. However, I think the possibility of a dam breach is real.

Again this should not, if it occurs, be a major breach, and it is not as if there currently isn't an active flood already.

This said keep an eye Houston Lake level. That dam may prove to be the most important lesson we learn the hard way.
When you build in a flood area, build high and expect the water to come.

Feel free to copy and paste.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:04 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
Holy ****, this is all in one day?! Wtf!!! And Houston was the bull's eye, this hurricane literally could not have had a worse placement for damage

Old 08-29-2017, 04:26 PM

5 PM Houston News -
Addicks and the Barker reservoirs are fine. Don't believe the rumors floating around that they're not.

Crosby has an evacuation around a chemical plant - No leak mentioned - Just unstable chemicals. National guard was out helping those people.

They also mentioned looting. Police officers are pulled away from search and rescue and instead have to wade thru chest deep water with their gun over their head and respond to these calls. Looters are putting our police in danger. I just shake my head over this. Why people have to loot and add to those store owner's misery. Bad enough their business is severely damaged. 'We will prosecute you to the full extent of the law.' Good.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:32 PM

The plant is an ammonia plant and it's been flooded - They are worried about an explosion due to unstable chemicals. People are being evacuated 1.5 miles around the plant. They aren't being forced to go and not everyone will go.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 PM

7pCDT/8pEST 29 August 2017: Winds 50mph, moving East 6mph, pressure 994mb. Landfall again towards sunrise Wednesday as a Tropical Storm with rains spreading further inland as Harvey FINALLY starts to head off.

NOAA was able to take and release imagery of where Harvey first made landfall, more may be uploaded in future (zoom in to the black lines on the map and you'll see they're really aerial photos) :
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/harvey/index.html

Last edited by Psychoma; 08-29-2017 at 07:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes