Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I would think the same about the guy driving an Equus. I guess we all see it differently, which is ok. If we all agreed, this forum would be an awfully boring place!
I would too. I would lump him/her in the I want to appear rich poser crowd not to say it is a bad car that is just how I would precive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I thought like that about people who drove Mercedes and BMW back then... I was like why can't they buy a lamborghini or a rolls royce... those posers... how time changed everything...

Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Exactly. The wannabes will do whatever they can to break into that top tier. Think about the people who buy the Mercedes C-class, which I think stands for cheapest. Or the people who buy a used BMW. No one has to know that they got it used. So they can drive around and make people think they're part of the elite crowd when really they're just a bunch of posers.
Or, maybe they just want BMW performance and amenities but can't afford to get them new, or they can afford to but don't want to eat the initial depreciation hit.

What is it about people needing to ascribe the least charitable motives to people who want a well-appointed car without having to pay out the ass for it? Why should they if they don't have to and don't want to?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
^^ Exactly. Some of these people have pretty awful logic.

If I see the value in getting $80k+ worth of car for $60k, I'd say that makes me an intelligent shopper more so than someone desperately scrambling to reach the upper echelons of automotive society.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
^^ Exactly. Some of these people have pretty awful logic.

If I see the value in getting $80k+ worth of car for $60k, I'd say that makes me an intelligent shopper more so than someone desperately scrambling to reach the upper echelons of automotive society.
If the Equus was $80K worth of car, they would charge $80K for it. By paying $60K for a first-timer in this market, the Equus driver is taking a gamble that the vehicle's value will hold over time. I hope that it does, I'm all for competition in the auto market. But at the same time, that gamble is not one that I'm willing to take. I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on the proven brand. If in 20 years Hyundai has evolved from cheap to economy to reliable to nice to luxury, then I will probably be willing to consider it. But it takes more than just a couple years in my opinion to solidify the reputation.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:57 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I've got the Genesis sedan on my possible purchase list when I decide to sell my Infiniti G35 in a year or two. Hyundai has been solid for almost a decade now, with the hard hitters coming in over the past five years or so. I've got confidence in their products and I've got a 2006 Nissan Maxima, 2003 Infiniti G35, and a 2007 BMW 530i in the garage so I'm not exactly sticking specifically with budget brands. The Genesis has been selling well and has received stellar reviews. I'll wait for the Equus to hit the U.S. market before making any final decisions on it but so far I don't see myself being disappointed.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If the Equus was $80K worth of car, they would charge $80K for it. By paying $60K for a first-timer in this market, the Equus driver is taking a gamble that the vehicle's value will hold over time. I hope that it does, I'm all for competition in the auto market. But at the same time, that gamble is not one that I'm willing to take. I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on the proven brand. If in 20 years Hyundai has evolved from cheap to economy to reliable to nice to luxury, then I will probably be willing to consider it. But it takes more than just a couple years in my opinion to solidify the reputation.
1971: Toyota & Datsun = laughing stock.

1991: Lexus and Infiniti are here, offer substantial value for the money, and nobody's laughing anymore. But people are still laughing at relatively new arrival Hyundai -- perhaps rightly so.

2010: The laughing has all but died down, and would probably be completely dead for the Genesis/Equus if Hyundai had spent the money to spin off a luxury brand. Those still laughing are basically guilty of badge snobbery, the elimination of which is the major point of bringing the Genesis and Equus here.

I still think they should have just spun off a new marque to make the aforementioned elimination easier, but they didn't ask me.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 AM

404 posts, read 1,556,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Why not?

So wait -- how does buying a car you can afford instead of one you can't afford constitute a "refusal to live within one's means?"
because if you can't actually AFFORD $15,000 more for a car, how in the hell are you going to AFFORD a $60,000 one, or it's up keep

it would be like saying "well, i can afford a payment of $1,000 a month for this luxury car, but another $250 on a Benz would be outrageous! honey, forget about that Elantra you wanted, i blew the car budget on the Equus!"

i never suggested it wasn't a smart buy if you can afford such a luxury. but if you are stretching your budget to own one, a $30,000 car might be a better choice

i am reminded of the woman who was in a tire store with her $50,000 pre owned AMG Benz. big sedan, and yelling "what do you mean $1000 for tires? i just changed them eight months ago. are you telling me i need new tires every year!"

well, you bought a $100,000+ performance / luxury sedan at half the cost. now you get to pay for it...

my logic, as awful as some people might think it is, says if you have $60,000 to spend on a car, you should have an extra $15,000 to kick around....somewhere. if you don't and have to even THINK about affordability and cost of ownership, get a less expensive car

Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Didn't people say the same thing when Toyota developed Lexus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The customers who are in the market to purchase a near $60K vehicle are NOT going to be looking at Hyundai as their first choice. My mother drives an LS460 and I doubt she would ever consider even getting a Hyundai for a few thousand less than a Lexus.

Hyundai was on the right path with the Genesis...showing that they can make a luxury car that can compete with a $50K sedan for $20K less. HOWEVER...when you are talking about Hyundai producing a $60K sedan that competes with vehicles in the same price range...you have a recipe for disaster. Wealthy folks buy an S-Class because it's the flagship car for Mercedes and are willing to shell out the bucks to show others they have "made it". Hyundai doesn't have the brand recognition of Mercedes/BMW/Lexus to convince buyers to pay $60K for a vehicle with little brand respect.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
because if you can't actually AFFORD $15,000 more for a car, how in the hell are you going to AFFORD a $60,000 one, or it's up keep

my logic, as awful as some people might think it is, says if you have $60,000 to spend on a car, you should have an extra $15,000 to kick around....somewhere. if you don't and have to even THINK about affordability and cost of ownership, get a less expensive car
That is pretty poor logic if I may say so. Some people actually budget and stick to that, and some people realize that they can get a unique car with concierge service for almost a third less than a common badge car. Some people would rather save that $15k-30k and use it on vacations, new golf clubs, a boat, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia