Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:28 PM

18 posts, read 27,453 times

Advertisements

Looking for those hidden "locally owned" restaurants or dives in Idaho Falls / Ammon or close surrounding areas.. Do any of y'all long time locals have any suggestions? Any kind of food.. Where are your favorite places to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Question Check the Update Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAClem View Post
Looking for those hidden "locally owned" restaurants or dives in Idaho Falls / Ammon or close surrounding areas.. Do any of y'all long time locals have any suggestions? Any kind of food.. Where are your favorite places to eat?
Hi UGAClem,

We try to update info about every quarter. If you look for the title, "Update etc." you'll find some info. We also do tend to mention favs in other posts.

One thing your family has to do is drive to Swan Valley / Irvin area. It's where the Billionaires from Jackson have relocated when the Trillionaires came in. There are some resorts which may interest you.

But, as a family you've got to get the square ice cream at the store in Swan Valley. It's kind of tradition for a lot of families. And Reed's Dairy in Skyline.

Check the link and hopefully you'll add some. Cleosmom has a favorite pizza place at Heise (Ririe). If you haven't read about Heise Hot Springs and what fun things there are to do, check it out.

ATV mom has some comments here and there about The Sandpiper, maybe Jakers, the Cellar and others.

Snakebite is consistently rated high. Most any restaurant downtown or close to the river and Broadway are all locally owned. Specialty bakeries like Mrs. Powell's and Geraldine's in Ammon and Skyline are very popular. Both offer various meals...I believe the new owners of Mrs. Powell's are just beginning to add breakfast.

Check out the dining guide in the Post Register. I believe like the other special publications it is free. Also, Idaho Falls Magazine has a restaurant section.

There are others but check our previous posts and see what you think. Please post your favorites too

MSR

Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM

18 posts, read 27,453 times
We have tried all the places listed below.. My daughter loved the square ice cream in Swan Valley. The wife's favorite place so far would be the Cellar.. Great atmosphere and delicious wine & food.

So far I think the best place to get a burger and beer is at the Blue Wave. Their burgers are jam up!!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM

42 posts, read 105,255 times
I am a huge fan of Blue Hashi!!!! I go with the vision roll quite often!

I also enjoy Wallace's off Sunnyside! Great sandwiches and salads, they even bake some great pies such as huckleberry/rhubarb. Make sure your not in a huge hurry and be patient. They also have reeds dairy ice cream!

Enjoy the Cellar and their live music.

Food at the snake bite is great but their service doesn't have me wanting to return as often as I would like

Hiese Pizza is awesome, robin the owner is great, awesome Greek salad and wings too

Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedizzy24 View Post

I also enjoy Wallace's off Sunnyside! Great sandwiches and salads, they even bake some great pies such as huckleberry/rhubarb. Make sure your not in a huge hurry and be patient. They also have reeds dairy ice cream!

Food at the snake bite is great but their service doesn't have me wanting to return as often as I would like

Hiese Pizza is awesome, robin the owner is great, awesome Greek salad and wings too
Nate, good to see you made it up to Heise!! Oh and Wallace's? Thanks for the review, I've still not been in there

Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Default Wallace's on Sunnyside

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Nate, good to see you made it up to Heise!! Oh and Wallace's? Thanks for the review, I've still not been in there
Cleosmom,

My point exactly of why we need others to post here. We tend to travel certain paths and forget eateries.

Yes to Wallace's for lunch! I'm glad Nate added it
I hope you can try it soon.

Happy 4th of July!

MSR

Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 AM

13 posts, read 16,940 times
Default Good Choices Nate

Quote:

Nate,

It's interesting to read your reviews given your work. Have you made it to the N. Highway Cafe? I think they have an anniversary soon or something.

How about Pizza and Mexican?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 PM

I am a fan of anything local North Highway Cafe is awesome for breakfast! It seems like when I first visited (3.5 years ago) it smelled a little smokey, but that may have just me being picky. My wife and I enjoy their breakfast. I also love Smitty's!

As far as Mexican goes..... it's all what "Mexican" means to you. I personally have not found a place I love. Some people love anything mexican as long as the beer flows and margaritas are cold. I personally don't like all the cheese and red sauce that most of us our used to. I had only found one more authentic mexican/Guatemalan restaurant on the entire north side of atlanta that had fresh tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, lettuce on top of their burritos. Let me know if anyone has a place for me to try.

BBQ - best bbq I have had I have cooked............. Not trying to sound uppity on BBQ but I come from the land of BBQ. The best I have found is Big Hole BBQ over in Victor. The owner moved out from Minnesota and has some southern help. I have yet to try Grampa's but I am loosing hope on finding good bbq.

And a tidbit about Wallace's. Angie (the owner) makes some outstanding pies. We usually order one for special occasions.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Quote:
I am a fan of anything local North Highway Cafe is awesome for breakfast! It seems like when I first visited (3.5 years ago) it smelled a little smokey, but that may have just me being picky. My wife and I enjoy their breakfast. I also love Smitty's!

As far as Mexican goes..... it's all what "Mexican" means to you. I personally have not found a place I love. Some people love anything mexican as long as the beer flows and margaritas are cold. I personally don't like all the cheese and red sauce that most of us our used to. I had only found one more authentic mexican/Guatemalan restaurant on the entire north side of atlanta that had fresh tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, lettuce on top of their burritos. Let me know if anyone has a place for me to try.

BBQ - best bbq I have had I have cooked............. Not trying to sound uppity on BBQ but I come from the land of BBQ. The best I have found is Big Hole BBQ over in Victor. The owner moved out from Minnesota and has some southern help. I have yet to try Grampa's but I am loosing hope on finding good bbq.

And a tidbit about Wallace's. Angie (the owner) makes some outstanding pies. We usually order one for special occasions.
As far as Mexican goes Nate, have you only tried here in IF? The husband and I prefer to drive to Blackfoot and eat at Melina's on the old highway, south of the fairgrounds.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 AM

I will check it out, we drove down to blackfoot and tried one but i dont think it was Melina's..... I love the salsa at Mary Piglets in Jackson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls