Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 PM

30 posts, read 76,437 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here on the Idaho forum know anything about Newman Lake, WA ?

I know, I know I should post my question on the WA site... Well I been hanging out exclusively in the Idaho forum and kinda got to know you nice folks so I was hoping you could answer my questions;

Is the weather way more extreme in Newman Lake as compared to CDA or sandpoint?

The owner of the home in Newman Lake said they get "pounded" by the snow because they're up in the hills and they get 90 plus temperatures in the summer.

Question about wood burning stoves...

Can a wood burning fireplace be converted and/or used to house a wood burning stove? If yes, what kind of $ are we talkin about to make the change? We were told something about needing an insert, what's that?

Thanks again,

Cliff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
Newman Lake has a bit of a micro-climate thing where they probably get more snow than the Rathdrum Prairie or Spokane area most of the time, but NOT like Sandpoint. CDA is usually a few degrees colder than Spokane, and Sandpoint is a couple degrees colder than that. In the spring, CDA sports teams are on grass TWO WEEKS before Sandpoint in most cases (we know...we play there), and Spokane a bit before that.

So without looking at weather logs, I'd say Newman Lake is probably more LIKE the weather in CDA than in Spokane, but not like Sandpoint.

The Spokane Valley gets some HIGH temps in the summer. Playing at Plantes Ferry (soccer) in August is pretty rough. We've been there with temps over 100. So it's very possible Newman Lake gets really hot in the summer, yes.

Stove inserts into wood burning fireplaces are simple but pricey ($2-3K):
Quadra-Fire | Inserts

Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
Newman is about 4 miles from me as the crow flies, and we are in a "snowbelt" as I mentioned before. My trees are white this morning. I often see 10 degree drops driving from the center of Spokane to my house. I have friends in Green Bluff that say the same thing. Depending on where you are in Newman it can take a while just to get to the 290 on Starr Rd.
I bought a Majestic insert for $1200 on sale with blower. It is just a rectangular steel box with a door and window at about 400 lbs. Surround kit to fill the gap between the box and the existing opening $100. Duravent retofit 6" relining kit $300. Depending on how your existing damper looks like you may have to do some work there to get the 6" flex pipe to connect to the top of the insert. If you are not a DIY type person, I am sure you are talking $500 at least to install.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
Elousv, thanks for the follow up post. Nice to have someone so close who can respond with help.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 PM

30 posts, read 76,437 times
Thanks to both of you for your continued awesome help. You guys are an invaluable resource to my wife and I on our quest to move to the NID area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho