Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 20,833 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family is hoping to be moving from Texas to the Pac NW soon. There is a job for my husband in Spokane but the house i have found on the internet that i love is in Kellogg. I see that it's a 60 mile drive. How horrible is that commute? traffic? weather? general unpleasantness..

I am an avid snowboarder and my husband went to school in Pullman WA so we've both driven in the snow alot... Only been in TX 2 years. Time to come home... i'm melting.

Any input on how killer that commute would be will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
If he only had to do it 3 days a week (like 3x12 work schedule) I'd certainly go for it. But 5 days a week? ACK. that's at least 90 minutes each way in the winter weather. I'd look at Rathdrum and Spirit Lake area, or even some areas northeast of Spokane on the WA side...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:03 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
That is really too far, especially in winter. I know I'd never want to make that drive 5 days a week and not even 3 in the winter.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 AM

47 posts, read 289,350 times
I would have to concur with the other posts. I commuted 40 miles (Palmer AK, to Anchorage AK) 5 days a week during winter. The drive was on a similarly maintained highway that I-90 (Kellogg to Spokane) is. It’s certainly not the best way to start the work day out all stressed over driving conditions, and other driver’s horrible driving.
Your husband’s commute will be 20 miles longer and he will have to go over 4th of July pass twice daily. It is maintained very well, until you get caught in a snow storm on the pass. Then you need to have all-wheeled drive capabilities and you can add another15- 25 minutes to the drive time. If you are dead set on the house and live in Kellogg, make sure your vehicles are up to the N. Idaho icy conditions.

If you just want to live close to a ski hill live north of Spokane, say Deer Park, then you will have access to three ski resorts (49 degrees north ski resort in Chewelah, WA 49 Degrees North Mountain Ski Resort and Mt. Spokane Ski Resort Mount Spokane Ski Area), and Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort in Sandpoint, ID. All of these resorts are 30-60 minutes to Deer Park, and season passes are reasonable at most of them. Granted it isn’t a gondola ride, but it might be a reasonable compromise to 240-300 minutes/130 miles daily driving your husband will have to do.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
no way. My commute in Spokane is about 11 miles at most....and it's too much. I'm almost wishing I'd moved to Airway Heights to be closer to work and not have to deal with any hills in the snow.

Kellog to Spokane? It's all treacherous in the snow.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM

94 posts, read 351,628 times
I commuted 65 miles in the middle of Houston traffic for 4 years. It was 1.25 hours if there was absolutely no traffic. Most of the time it was 2 hours. I didn't have a problem with it. Listen to talk radio, audio books, think, etc... That is time away from your family, but for them to live in the perfect place and for you to have the perfect job, its well worth it.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:18 AM

820 posts, read 1,739,717 times
Its a long drive and if he is used to a long drive, it would be ok. Just winter can be a pia. If you want more info on that house your looking @, pm me the address and I will send you the full MLS data on it. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM

48 posts, read 122,380 times
4th of July pass can eat your lunch with just a modest storm. 5 x a week would be tough duty

Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM

49 posts, read 159,966 times
I used to drive over that pass from Smelterville which is right near Kellogg in the Valley to my job at the Coeur d Alene Lowes store. I didn't mind driving I would just make sure to pick out some good CDs before I left. It is a beautiful drive. It just depends if you like driving. If your vehicle can handle the wear and tear. If you can afford to buy gas. The pass does get lots of snow sometimes but the plow keeps it pretty clear.
I actually do not live in Smelterville anymore because of lack of opportunities out there. I live in Post Falls now. Those small towns like Kellogg, Pinehurst, Smelterville and Wallace have beautiful countryside and properties. Many of the homes are sort of older and need repairs. I do know of a newer development on a mountain between Smelterville and Pinehurst. I drove by and the houses are nice sized worth looking at with the market as it is. Something to think about also is there are not very many places to buy what you might need. There is no tropical fish store. There IS a Walmart. There are several bars and bar & grills. There are many silver mines. A lot of men worked in the mines. It is a sleepy slow paced community.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,277 times
I would find another house closer to Spokane. It may be freeway the whole way but in the winter is does get nasty to say the least. Find something on the West side of Post Falls and you will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho