Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take back your vote for Tom Luna?
yes 5 35.71%
no 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,890,888 times

Advertisements

Education reform is the big headline at the State House this year.

Luna did not run on his plans for Idaho schools, he did not mention any details at all until January. He basically ran the fact that he is a Republican and not a Democrat, and bragged about how well he has done for Idaho school.

It seems like these plans are drawing a lot of harsh criticism, yet Luna ran in a landslide, against someone with a real education, (Ph. D, not an online bachelor's degree in "weights and measurement) and a proven track record.

I don't need my vote back because I voted for the right guy, but I don't think Luna would have been reelected had he ran on his actual platform.

So, does anyone regret casting their vote for Luna instead of Dr. Olson? I'm pretty sure Big Bird would have won if he had a freaking "R" next to his name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM

I should have added a third option for those who voted for Dr. Olson.

PS What the hell does a degree in weights and measurements actually mean?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Hate to keep posting in my own thread, but just found out the main bill of the three is more than likely dead for the year.

Centerpiece of Idaho school reform plan may be dead - Spokesman.com - March 1, 2011

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

161 posts, read 396,762 times
I personally think that we need to start thinking outside the box when it comes to public education. We are producing the dumbest kids in the world. We are 25th in the world in math and science yet 4th in per student spending. EDUCATION INDICATORS: An International Perspective / Indicator 43 and International Comparison of Math, Reading, and Science Skills Among 15-Year-Olds — Infoplease.com

I don't blame teachers. They can't control their classes anymore. They can't discipline, they can't suspend/expel. Hard to teach kids that won't listen to authority. The system is broken.

Charter schools, voucher programs, virtual schooling (Part of Luna's program) are all great ideas in my humble opinion.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkmd View Post

Charter schools, voucher programs, virtual schooling (Part of Luna's program) are all great ideas in my humble opinion.
I tend to agree with you for the most part. I think virtual schooling is a good option for some people, but I don't like the idea of forcing it. Especially with so many of Luna's donors being in the virtual ed business.

Another point you made is how tough it is for a teacher to control a class. Part of Luna's plan is to increase class sizes. If it is tough to control a class it will only get tougher. I'm probably to young to say this, but corporal punishment I think would be very effective.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
I agree with JJKMD, what we are doing now is not working. Our system is not producing well educated children (with many notable exceptions) and has costs that are not sustainable. We need to try something different than same old, same old.

At least Luna brings some ideas to the table. Are they garanteed to get the results we want? No. But IMO, they are worthy of consideration, and at least trying in certain areas.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:19 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,753,488 times
I do have a problem with tenure. My daughter's school has some of the LAZIEST teachers I've known. They finally got a good math teacher (to take the place of one whose husband has cancer) and you know he'll be kicked to the curb the second she wants her job back.
This should be about the kids and their education and the good teachers should have jobs and the lazy and inept "teachers" should be let go.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:20 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,367,211 times
I am open to some of his options and think there needs to be change. I also think that several of the school kids doing their walkouts and invading the statehouse don't really have the clear picture and are doing their thing just to have fun and get out of school, although I am sure some are aware of the facts and not basing their assumptions off of incorrect info.

It has been sad that some people in the valley have vandalized Luna's automobile, approached his elderly mother, and spoken their piece of mind to his adult daughter when she has been in public (based on local news stories). I think these freaky people who have done this should be outed in the local press and embarrassed publicly for being bad citizens. If some are parents of school children that have done this then they need to be ashamed of themselves, they are bad parents for harassing his family.

Not to stray from the topic, but maybe a thread should be started for people who voted for our Guv and regret it. He is an embarrassment to the state for sure.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,459,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Education reform is the big headline at the State House this year.

Luna did not run on his plans for Idaho schools, he did not mention any details at all until January. He basically ran the fact that he is a Republican and not a Democrat, and bragged about how well he has done for Idaho school.

It seems like these plans are drawing a lot of harsh criticism, yet Luna ran in a landslide, against someone with a real education, (Ph. D, not an online bachelor's degree in "weights and measurement) and a proven track record.

I don't need my vote back because I voted for the right guy, but I don't think Luna would have been reelected had he ran on his actual platform.

So, does anyone regret casting their vote for Luna instead of Dr. Olson? I'm pretty sure Big Bird would have won if he had a freaking "R" next to his name.
I do believe president obama said we are ALL going to have to tighten our belts numerous times.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,753,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
He is an embarrassment to the state for sure.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho