Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Sandpoint is smaller and more tourist oriented. Wetter/more humid. Very little industrial, mostly retail stores. Has a small town feel- everyone knows everyone else. Mountains are taller. I hesitate to say this because I doubt it is a word, but... artsier. Bluer on the political scale.
On the negative side, Sandpoint is absolutely choked with the worst traffic this side of San Diego, the job market is nill, winters are significantly more severe, housing prices are terrible, gas is 30 cents more expensive than CDA, amenities are questionable at best. Power supply isn't not exactly reliable- same with satellite tv and satellite internet (the only thing available in much of the region).

Does that help?
Sandpoint is smaller than CDA. Sandpoint is more tourist oriented or maybe you just notice it more because it is smaller? There are fewer jobs and they tend to pay less than CDA. Sandpoint has a ski mountain. Everyone certainly doesn't know everyone, but it does have a small town feel. Winter are somewhat milder in CDA, but not substantially. This last winter it was worse in CDA than Sandpoint, you never know. I lived for 28 years in L.A. and there is NO WAY the traffic compares. Yes, they need a bypass in Sandpoint and in the summer it can be slow driving, but no comparisons to even Spokane, nevertheless S. Calif. Gas is less in CDA than Sandpoint. I would say housing is more expensive in Sandpoint as well. There are more shopping opportunities in CDA. The only big store in Sandpoint is a Super Wal-Mart, that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 AM

23 posts, read 108,552 times
Default Tires/Brokencrayola

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU-CANT-EAT-SCENERY View Post
Being from CA, did you adjust to winter driving ok? The locals I talked to all said you can pretty much get around on All Season tire there, in the winter.

We're not really intereted in lake front property. More interested in quality pasture land (rock free) for the horses.
All season tires are "ok" if you don't have any steep inclines to drive on or graveled roads...I know a lot of folks get there tires siped (sp?) for better traction and I hear it dissipates the heat off the tires in the summer.

Since I live up a somewhat steep gravel road we use chains but thinking about getting another set of tires that are factory siped. If you have your tires siped after purchase you will void your warranty on them. Winter driving is not a problem for me, I'm pretty cautious. It's the other ninnies who drive down the middle of the road on a blind turn....

There's a whole lotta rocks in Cocolalla...we've done quite a bit of rock clearing on our place but most the mtn trails up there are rocky and I hate when the horses trip going down hill !!!! You almost need a seat belt but the views are fabulous.

Don't forget hay...most folks get only two cuttings per year up here (short growing season), not like Cali with three or four cuttings. So stock up on hay.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:40 AM

64 posts, read 265,740 times
Siped snow tires, i.e. Michelin X-ice are great tires for the winter up here. I could never get up my driveway with all season, but with those siped tires I have never had a problem. I wouldn't want to be without them in the winter!

Old 09-09-2007, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,597 times
Default Police Officer's Wife...Need to move

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have always joked about leaving California. He is 33, I am 24...and we have a 2 year old son. I grew up in So. Cal, and he grew up in the bay area of Cal, however, I think we are done. My husband is a police officer in a city that has as many shootings as South Central. It's awful. It's taking a toll on him, and our family. We both love the idea of moving to Idaho...I have taken a few road trips in the past, but I've never been to the North-Eastern side of Idaho. We are looking at the city of Rathdrum. Does anyone have any suggestions about this city, facts, crime rate, schools. We are planning on taking a road trip in 3 weeks, but everything I've read from all of you is more than one can ask for in a pamphlet My husband would either apply for Spokane P.D., or CDA. Is there a preference amongst you all? I read that Rathdrum made people feel like they were living in a track home in California...however, I'm okay with that...I still want that...but I don't want the mean, hateful neighbors that Californians are forced to deal with when they purchase a home. I am looking for a great place to raise my children, and just live a happy life. Well, if anyone has any advice, where to stay, where to eat, what cities are the best...we don't have horses, so a nice, fenced yard will do...anything you all could give me to plan this trip, and hopefully...move...would be amazing!! Thank you to all who have read this and will respond!
Cynthia

Old 09-09-2007, 06:26 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiaann33 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have always joked about leaving California. He is 33, I am 24...and we have a 2 year old son. I grew up in So. Cal, and he grew up in the bay area of Cal, however, I think we are done. My husband is a police officer in a city that has as many shootings as South Central. It's awful. It's taking a toll on him, and our family. We both love the idea of moving to Idaho...I have taken a few road trips in the past, but I've never been to the North-Eastern side of Idaho. We are looking at the city of Rathdrum. Does anyone have any suggestions about this city, facts, crime rate, schools. We are planning on taking a road trip in 3 weeks, but everything I've read from all of you is more than one can ask for in a pamphlet My husband would either apply for Spokane P.D., or CDA. Is there a preference amongst you all? I read that Rathdrum made people feel like they were living in a track home in California...however, I'm okay with that...I still want that...but I don't want the mean, hateful neighbors that Californians are forced to deal with when they purchase a home. I am looking for a great place to raise my children, and just live a happy life. Well, if anyone has any advice, where to stay, where to eat, what cities are the best...we don't have horses, so a nice, fenced yard will do...anything you all could give me to plan this trip, and hopefully...move...would be amazing!! Thank you to all who have read this and will respond!
Cynthia
Spokane will obviously be a much bigger city, than CDA. CDA is much prettier, and there is no point in your husband commuting to Spokane if he doesn't have to. Are you looking for a more mountainous area, or a flatter area?
I don't live there unfortunately so I can't give specifics. Try doing a search for Rathdrum. The search button is towards the top of the page. Just click on it and type Rathdrum in the search box.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure someone from the area will chime in

Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 23,213 times
I am more familiar with the southern part of Idaho but much of my family is from northern Idaho. In fact, i would claim it in a heartbeat. My cousin just moved back from England to his home in Rathdrum. They came back for their children. They are still young and needed to come back to the states. Rathdrum is, I would say, a small community outside of CDA. The commute is pretty quick. On a Saturday we went from CDA to Rathdrum in less than 15 minutes (maybe quicker). Rathdrum is a family community and growing. You don't hear much about the town because it is in the shadows of CDA.

I love to hear so many people enjoy Northern Idaho. It is my birthplace and my retreat! My favorite is when they are harvesting mint.

In response to a few others with animals.
The growing season there is quite short. Grazing is not the best (but in life you can always find something better, right?). It grows so fast and so green but the nutriants are not as full for grazing. Compared to Southern Idaho or elsewhere, where the growing season is longer, up north the cows graze for a better part of the day while in the south the cows graze for a time then lay and chew their cud. It take the cows up north much longer grazing to receive the nutrients as those in the south.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:45 AM

23 posts, read 108,552 times
Default Re: Rathdrum

Rathdrum, to me, looks a bit run down for a town and a tad boring. Most of the area is flat and some into the hillsides. Even though it has many new sub divisions you'd probably be traveling to Hayden or CDA for entertainment, speciality shopping or clothes shopping. Down load Google Earth and have a look for yourself. You can view the landscape from all angles.

Recently Spokane has had quite an increase in crime, deaths and gangs. If I were you I'd want my hubby to choose the CDA area, unless he likes action. CDA and Hayden Lakes area are beautiful. The housing "may" (I'm not in real estate) cost a bit more but with the foreclosure boom and yesterdays dip in lending rates you'd probably find a great buy.
I wish you luck. ( I also know an officer from southernCA who's looking for new digs up this way)

Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 AM

777 posts, read 3,198,339 times
I'm going to revive my old thread here I finally landed a job with the BNSF Railroad as a mechanic last year in November. With any luck in about 4 years I will transfer up north (hopefully Spokane where BNSF has a diesel shop), which will not land me in Bonners Ferry, but at least I will be close enough to call Northern Id or North Eastern WA my home

Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,842,621 times
Congrats

Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Congrats from me too! I read on the Bonners Ferry thread that your wife is into horses. Let me know if you need any names or info on the equestrian community in the eastern WA/N. Idaho area. I'd be glad to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho