Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,889,255 times

Advertisements

So I've been to the Stanley-Redfish area many times, but have always either had a cabin or camped in a pay for the spot campground. I'm going up in about four days with no where to stay but a tent. We don't want a campground and don't want a cabin, so we're going to rough it in a random spot anywhere in the area. I'm sure we can find an area by just driving around. But I was wondering if anyone could point in towards an area we could set up in. Using a campground is out, even if we wanted to, they are probably all full and we are heading up on Wednesday till Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,873 times
I was there last weekend, and the area is packed but seems every few days camp sites come open, especially during the week. I am not familar enough to recommend an area, but the area near Petit Lake, about 12 miles south of Redfish on 75, seemed to not have as many people and I do not believe it is a fee area. Wish I could help more Justin.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:30 PM

863 posts, read 2,994,130 times
We also spend a week to 10 days every summer in the Sawtooths so we're pretty familar with the area.

I'm reading from your post that you don't want/can't pay fees. Petit Lake is slighly out of the main popular area, and very likely to have open sites, but is a fee area, all developed campgrounds are.

Pettit Lake Campground-Alturas Lake-Sawtooth National Recreation Area

My suggestion is Sunbeam off the Yankee Fork of the Salmon River. It's off HWY 75. Go past the dredge ponds towards Bonanza Campground. The road becomes gravel. There's a nice grass meadow area on the left adjacent to a stream. Go to the end of the road and check out Custer City. They stock the dredge ponds with fish, so bring your pole. It can get hot though with all the rocks. It's been a while since we've been there, but it is something you should check out. Good luck!

Sunbeam & Yankee Fork Area

Last edited by zoso1979; 08-12-2011 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-12-2011, 07:43 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,873 times
Great info, and thanks for the correction on the sites. We saw a sign for Sunbeam, now I wish we had checked that out more, maybe next time.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
We also spend a week to 10 days every summer in the Sawtooths so we're pretty familar with the area.

I'm reading from your post that you don't want/can't pay fees. Petit Lake is slighly out of the main popular area, and very likely to have open sites, but is a fee area, all developed campgrounds are.

Pettit Lake Campground-Alturas Lake-Sawtooth National Recreation Area

My suggestion is Sunbeam off the Yankee Fork of the Salmon River. It's off HWY 75. Go past the dredge ponds towards Bonanza Campground. The road becomes gravel. There's a nice grass meadow area on the left adjacent to a stream. Go to the end of the road and check out Custer City. They stock the dredge ponds with fish, so bring your pole. It can get hot though with all the rocks. It's been a while since we've been there, but it is something you should check out. Good luck!

Sunbeam & Yankee Fork Area
OK I know exactly where that is. I've driven the way to Custer and fished the ponds all along the way.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2011, 01:29 PM

The main campground issue is we are not looking to spend a week with our tent twenty feet from someone elses tent and end up being crowded. That is why we are camping in the first place. Not to go from the real city to a tent city.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 PM

898 posts, read 828,273 times
There are countless dispersed camping sites in the SNRA. Ask at the ranger station. In 20 years of visiting, I've never camped near someone else. There are areas for dispersed camping *near* Redfish but due to the demand of the area, there is little available within the impact zone.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 PM

250 posts, read 413,287 times
I drove from southern cal to Stanley lake area last summer with no reservations for a campsite, I found plenty of spots open at Stanley Inlet campground...there are a lot of open spots everywhere though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: