Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times

Advertisements

Lewiston smells like a foot, does that help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 PM

448 posts, read 1,070,539 times
You forgot to mention that Lewiston is in Idaho and Clarkston is in WA..That could make a big difference also.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 14,899 times
An additional thanks to all on the comments. I have been reading all the blogs on/about Lewiston, as I too may be taking a job over there. Just returned yesterday from the interview. It's been 13 years since I had visited Clarkston, WA/Lewiston, ID and was surprised at a few changes.

Temporarily in the Tri-Cities area, (Richland, WA for those that don't know the lingo) and ALREADY set to move. I was in Vancouver, BC prior to here, so was REALLY spoiled with scenery. Wenatchee before that, (ah Lake Chelan, Leavenworth and the plateaus above the Columbia), then Bend, OR before that, (VERY Californian now) and then good old Vancouver, WA using the Portland amenties.

AGAIN, thank you ALL for the comments. Being a true Pacific Nortwesterner you've all done a pretty good job of describing things.

Good luck to everyone, I think I'll be OK with the move to Lewiston. Oh wait, I just might take an apartment in Clarkston, then buy a house a little later.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 AM

32 posts, read 120,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
I've taken motorcycle trips all over Eastern OR/WA and ID. Moscow is a very picturesque town compared to Clarkston/Lewiston. My friend's sister lives in Clarkston rather than Lewiston due to the lower cost of housing and property taxes although there's a bit more crime.

As another poster said, Lewiston/Clarkston are too brown compared to the coast, but take a look at Asotin which is 6 miles south south via Hwy 129 of Clarkston by Hells Gate State Park.
Can one motorcycle year round in Lewiston? AND ~ how far away is the nearest downhill snowskiing??

Old 10-14-2007, 04:29 PM

18 posts, read 139,029 times
I believe you can motorcycle year round in Lewiston, but I've never been on one so I can't know for sure. Our winters are mild. The nearest ski area with a chair lift is Bluewood (94 miles). Brundage Mountain is about 163 miles away, but many of those miles are along the salmon river where the weather is good and the speed limit is 65. Bald Mountain, Snowhaven, and Cottonwood Butte are all closer to Lewiston than Bluewood, but do not have chair lifts.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM

853 posts, read 968,527 times
Default Besides the smell...

which is nasty to say the least, Lewiston appears to be a run down, tired town with more than its fair share of problems. I know a married couple that has lived there for 40+ years and they are afraid for their safety. They have iron bars on their windows (and doors) and are very careful to lock their doors even when they are at home during the day. They worry for their well being and that of their pets (birds and pure bred dogs) and are very careful to monitor their dogs when they are out in the fenced in yard. Personally, I would encourage your hubby to pursue a job transfer to Moscow over Lewiston....
Please allow me to apologize (in advance) if I in any way offended anyone by providing the above feedback.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurd4wurd View Post
which is nasty to say the least, Lewiston appears to be a run down, tired town with more than its fair share of problems. I know a married couple that has lived there for 40+ years and they are afraid for their safety. They have iron bars on their windows (and doors) and are very careful to lock their doors even when they are at home during the day. They worry for their well being and that of their pets (birds and pure bred dogs) and are very careful to monitor their dogs when they are out in the fenced in yard. Personally, I would encourage your hubby to pursue a job transfer to Moscow over Lewiston....
Please allow me to apologize (in advance) if I in any way offended anyone by providing the above feedback.
I had no idea crime was so bad there. Iron bars, really?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM

18 posts, read 139,029 times
wurd4word,
Interesting, I live in Lewiston and know of no one with bars over their windows. According to City data the crime index for Coeur d'Alene (where you are from) was 430 in 2005. In Lewiston the crime index was 249.9. The married couple you know may live in a bad part of town. Lewiston has its bad neighborhoods just like almost every city in the US, but overall crime is low, and it is lower than Cd'A. Crime Index for other Idaho cities:

Boise 307.3
Moscow 131.4
Twin Falls 375.4
Idaho Falls 262.8

Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 PM

853 posts, read 968,527 times
Default No offense meant...

I only referenced an acquaintance's experience. Obviously, there are good and bad parts of every town/city - that goes without saying and in all likelihood the married couple I know doesn't live in the best part of town.
I have lived in Coeur d'Alene for 3+ years (actually I am not within the city limits) and have never had any reason to feel unsafe either in my home or while in town.
Again, I meant no disrespect toward any Lewiston residents. In fact, I have to say that one of the most amazing scenic vistas ever is on 95 South during the approach to Lewiston. It truly is spectacular and each time I make the drive from Coeur d'Alene to Boise that scenic overlook takes my breath away!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 31,480 times
We live in Lewiston and am glad we chose to move here. We have 4 children and are buyng a home. The orchards are just part of our city."town" You can get a lot of information if you google "Lewiston, id" or "lewiston idaho statistics" The income is revelavent to the job... so if you have some skill or trade it goes a long way.. We have a great college.. Some good Parks...I have lived in Clarkston washington, which is literally accross the river and would NEVER, NEVER move there again. some people love it. Not me... As far as crime...Well I would not move or live in the Down town area. Most areas near the schools are nice and Normal hill as its called is a nice place. NOW keep in mind that all citys have their AREAS of non desirable living. So just avoid them..also you can almost tell where they are just by driving the area. It is a great place if you like beig involved in Church, Boys and Girls Club...ect. It is brown. but we are not far from the beauty. less than 1 hour and you are in tre heaven. the roads are in good condition not great but good. I love living here and have o fear of trult anythin BAD happening. no bars. yes i lock the door to the house but not always the car..I'm getting better. But I have been here for 5 years and dont regret moving from Orofino. which is trees and quiet...... OH bike riding all year...Well yes if you dont mind the rain.... once in a while it might be to slick but again the roads are cared for.. OH the pne piece of advice given to us by an officer..Stay off 21st Street and youll be fine....Its just not configures great to many lights or something. More accidents happen there then all of the county. But it is not truly unavoidable.. Its the main road up the hill.
Any thing else????? Faith Tabernacle Church has a GREAT youth group
google "Lewiston, idaho city data" and select the first one I believe

Last edited by tirby; 10-16-2007 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: adding info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho