Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:13 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Lately...it's the quality of the drivers. "Keep Right Except to Pass". It seems like such a simple concept, but one that few can grasp. I've been blocked by left lane blockers all the way from CDA to Athol before. It's gotten worse over the years. It used to be just white plates (WA and CA visitors) that were at the head of the snail trail. But lately I've seen a lot more red, white and blue ones. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 04:14 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
There's a whacking big traffic problem in Boise right now!
I was there last weekend, and every Interstate exit in the downtown area is undergoing major construction. I had no trouble getting off the I-84 into Boise, but I played merry hell trying to get back on and go east when I left. Every exit has temp construction detours, and I got locked into a loop that put me back to where I started after over an hour of wandering around in the weeds.

I haven't been to Boise for a while, but I know where the exits are. I finally took one of the detours, saw the exit I wanted was working but partially closed off with traffic cones, and I just drove through a gap in the cones and took the exit. I ended up on a detour route that paralleled I-84 for at least 4 miles, but I was finally able to enter the highway.

Really a lot of the new industry there is on the south side of I-84. Apparently, all the old overpasses are being widened to better accommodate cross-town traffic, but it sure was a major pain in the neck to leave town!

Gotta say though… Boise was beautiful. My daughter now lives in Georgia, and was there to make a presentation. She hasn't been back home in over 4 years, so I was very happy to see her again, and she came back with me to spend the rest of the week before going back to her home. I took her through the mountains by Mtn. Home and over the Camas Prairie, a 2-lane shortcut that peels over 100 mi. off the Interstate loop, and all the recent rain made the entire drive spectacular. The Arco Desert is greener than I've ever seen it at this time of year; it looked like it is during early spring. She had never been over that route, and really loved the drive.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Split speed limits (80 mph cars/70 mph trucks) occur in the majority of states. 99% of the states have the right lane law for trucks; the meaning is that must travel in the right lane, but may use the left lane to pass.

Regardless of whether or not states allow an increased speed limit for trucks, chances are most won't be taking advantage of it. Most trucking companies try their best to keep costs down, as most thriving businesses do, and in doing so they "govern" their to usually no more than 65-68 mph to save on fuel costs.

As a former CDL holder and the wife of a professional truck driver, increasing the speed is also considerably more dangerous.

How often behind the wheel of an auto have you had to slow down at a moment's notice and/or swerve to avoid a potential accident? Your average 40 ton semi faces inertia when they try to "swerve" at a higher rate of speed and increase the chance of jack knifing their rig. Domino effect would be semi blocking the lane and no one going more than 35 mph while waiting on emergency services to clear the accident, which can take hours. Not to mention that type of accident could, worse over, take a life

Old 09-13-2014, 09:36 PM

447 posts, read 652,011 times
too much traffic planning wasn't ready
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho