Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nitti View Post
Seain Dublin--Actually, I am a very friendly person, and that comment is a bit of an assumption just because I "hate" California. I do "hate" what it has turned into. I think you assuming I am un-friendly is a bit over the top. I grew up in Southern California, and I honestly used to really love it here, but it has changed so much and not for the good. We just got home from spending a week up in Coeur D'Alene, and we absolutely LOVED it there! The people were so nice and friendly, and NID is just beautiful!! We didn't want to leave. There is a lot of people that are tired of what California has turned into, and my family is one of them. We have decided to make the best choice for our family and move away from it. There is still people that love California and won't ever think of leaving, and that is great and that works for them, but it doesn't work for us. Just like moving to Idaho wouldn't work for everyone either.
I can only go by what someone writes, when you say "We HATE California with a passion" it does make you look well hateful, very negative, and one of those people who no matter where they end up will only find the negative.

I'm not saying that your that way, and I can understand your feelings. But think before you post next time, if you had said in your first post what you said in this one, I wouldn't have said what I said.

You may not like how some things have changed, but you grew up in Southern CA and you will leave family and long time friends, and I'm sure you have great memories as well. There will be things you miss.

To say you HATE it, well that dismisses your whole life, you don't want to do that.

Anyway, best of luck in your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
everything runs in cycles. California has exhausted its upward mobility of when it was great to live here. It is on the downhill slide. Those that say different are living in a fantasy world. Their will be no rain coming to california.

In case you haven't noticed this whole country is on a downhill slide, not just CA.

You have a major bill being passed right now that will do more damage to the American way of life, and not a peep about on the news. The big diversion is this fictional "prison break".

And the no rain coming to CA, impacts the nation, as in food supply.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:47 PM

318 posts, read 436,729 times
My exclusive motive for posting the facts about the severe California drought is to bring it to the attention of Idahoans who may be able to do some things to protect themselves. Raising more food, especially in cooperation with immediate families and communities, for example. Crime will increase.

It will become increasingly important to monitor social programs, such as food stamps because if the rich people stay in California and buy as much expensive water as they need, that means poorer people may end up here.

I wonder what role the federal government will play in any relocations, such as they have done with war refugees.

And it may be that they will choose other Southwestern states instead. The drought is pretty much over in Texas and there are more jobs there.

So my predictions are that, unless it rains and snows by end of November or December, people who do not own property will be leaving California and their choices for states will be as follows: Texas, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico and Idaho in that order. But if there is exploitation of those refugees in the form of increased rents or other services, they will be looking for water AND affordability.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
My household is down to 80 gallons per day... pets, laundry... what is left of the yard...

There still are households that use 1000 or more gallons a day with park like settings.

As to the future of tree crops... that is another story as they take years to produce and you simply can't stop watering and expect anything but the worst.

People have been forecasting the demise of California for a very long time... State just keeps growing...

Anyone remember the book the Late Great State of California... it was required reading when I was in school

Old 06-25-2015, 07:40 PM

235 posts, read 375,613 times
I have deliberately chosen to not read the prior comments so that mine is not influence by others. Hate Californians? No. (Keep in mind that I am presently in Colorado, but come from an Idaho homesteader, and hope to soon return.) What I suspect is hated is an attitude that desires a change or a perspective that is "off". I would say, that most in ID want a "don't tell me what I can and cannot have on my property (i.e. restrictive HOAs), "don't yip at me about hunting" (which I run into a wee issue as I have no problems with meat hunters, but I have a concern about killing all wolves and, believe it or not, I come from Idaho ranch/farm folk), don't yip at me about my guns (full agreement). I suppose it is more an attitude of "don't tell me what to do". Yeah, there can be disagreements and I do seem to run into it here sometimes. It does seem, though, that if an explanation follows as opposed to a direct order, maybe people can listen, and make their own decisions about whether a choice is right for themselves or not.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 PM

468 posts, read 265,941 times
I used to live in Idaho and have to say any outsider will have to prove himself in the community before he/she is trusted .
And the CA word will make for a colder front. I moved there from another state so I've been thru it.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:29 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,382 times
Did some traveling this weekend - up between Hells Canyon, Riggins, McCall, Banks, Lowman, Idaho City, etc. - and just for fun we tallied Californian plates we saw in traffic.

While we didn't keep track of ALL the cars we saw, we did count 145 Californian plates in the 2 days and 340 miles we drove.

So, for better or worse, they're EVERYWHERE now. The invasion is in full swing.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Did some traveling this weekend - up between Hells Canyon, Riggins, McCall, Banks, Lowman, Idaho City, etc. - and just for fun we tallied Californian plates we saw in traffic.

While we didn't keep track of ALL the cars we saw, we did count 145 Californian plates in the 2 days and 340 miles we drove.

And that doesn't even count the one's we've sent in undercover.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Anyone remember the book the Late Great State of California... it was required reading when I was in school
Wasn't required reading in my school, but did read it out of interest. Pretty good book at detailing how powerful the CA economy is and how important its agricultural resources are to the rest of the country.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 AM

227 posts, read 382,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post

Hopefully just mostly vacationers wanting to spend some money here and then go home to stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho