Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:52 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam View Post
Hopefully just mostly vacationers wanting to spend some money here and then go home to stay there.

For someone who's lived here for a year, you're awfully quick to slam the door on other folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 AM

227 posts, read 382,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
For someone who's lived here for a year, you're awfully quick to slam the door on other folks.
Sage,

I'm not sure this kind of post is appropriate and seems to be the type that is an attempt to provoke personal arguments, which have no place on these forums I think. It is also factually incorrect.

If you are OK with it, I will proceed to respond to mistyriver's post...

-Sam

Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...l#post36474163

Was that not you who said in post 30 something that you'd just moved here over the summer? In. 2014?

As for the rest of your accusation, anyone can read your posts and decide what you are like for themselves.

I think it's important for people interested in this wonderful state to realize that not all Idahoans are such one sided curmudgeons who get a foot in the door and tell others that if they have different viewpoints that they aren't welcome.

Last edited by mistyriver; 06-30-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
I find it completely understandable that people who have lived in Idaho for a long time are concerned about the population growth in the state. For the past several decades I've lived in an environment here in California that has been similarly affected by population growth that was largely been driven by migration from other states. It drives up real estate prices, creates competition for scarce resource such as jobs, increases traffic, and generally degrades the quality of life in many ways. Most of the negative impacts don't have anything to do with where the person came from or who they are, it's just another person in the state that some believe is getting too crowded.

Californians represent the largest group of people moving to Idaho, so it's somewhat understandable that we bear the brunt of those frustrations. It's worth noting that in recent years Washington is neck and neck with California in terms of supplying new residents to Idaho, so I do find it curious that there is no detectable anti-Washington sentiment. Perhaps because many may be just hopping across the border, or maybe they are seen as being from the northwest.

In any event, what I don't get at all is how someone who only moved to Idaho relatively recently can so quickly turn around and become one of the most strident anti-growth and anti-California people I've heard. I'm not sure new residents yet have the standing to make that complaint. After all, as newcomers long term Idahoans likely see you as part of the problem regardless of what state you came from.

It's also totally out of step with the open, friendly and welcoming attitude we've found to be all but universal among long time north Idaho residents we've met during our time in the area. We had heard the stories about anti-Californian bias in the state long ago, so we were sensitized to it and expected to experience some of it first hand. The reality has been completely different: We've never experienced any of that negativity from long time residents of the state. In fact, it's the opposite - we often remark on how friendly and open Idahoans are compared to California.

I am a big believer that environment shapes culture. Listen to BanjoMike talk about the challenges of living in a rural state where your nearest neighbor may be some distance away, and where the weather can often be challenging, particularly for those trying to make a living from the land. Hear him talk on the one hand about the spirit of self-reliance that environment engenders, but also on the other hand about the spirit of strangers helping strangers in times of need. This is all about environment shaping the culture.

Perhaps some newcomers haven't spent enough time in Idaho to have adopted and adapted to the culture of the place.

Dave

Old 06-30-2015, 09:33 AM

448 posts, read 812,997 times
Quote:
I'm not sure this kind of post is appropriate and seems to be the type that is an attempt to provoke personal arguments, which have no place on these forums I think. It is also factually incorrect.
Ironic, coming from a guy who recently said:

Quote:
You sound exactly like the type of person we don't want moving to ID. You don't happen to be from CA do you?
I've been browsing the Idaho sub-forum for a couple of years and maybe you don't honestly intend to come off as rude - but you often do, IMO. It seems as if you are on a mission to encourage like-minded people and scare off those that don't fit into your belief system. Which is really opposite of the region's live-and-let-live attitude - again, IMO.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 AM

294 posts, read 544,329 times
A re-occuring theme of these posts is that californians are not as friendly and idahoans. This has been stated by many that have moved to idaho and are happy with how nice everyone is here. This is an opinion stated by Californians themselves. If you accept that as a true statement, why would the people of Idaho be happy with waves of unhappy, unfriendly people moving into their state? For what its worth, when someone moves to Idaho from washington or montana, you have now way of even knowing it (unless you ask them). They no not talk endlessly about their former state.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:47 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Yeah, a certain somebody here who lived in Texas and Colorado most of their life is really a hypocrite and downer. Hopefully North Idaho turns into another Colorado quickly so that this person decides to leave the state and move to the middle of bfe Wyoming or Montana.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:54 AM

227 posts, read 382,305 times
I find it possible to be welcoming towards those who have made it here and have the proper assimilation mentality while also discouraging others who have not relocated here yet and/or want to come and change the culture. However, I can see how some with real estate motives, for example, want to purport a fairy tail image of Idaho and it's people so that people continue to pour in and pump up their values. The negative aspect is when people come here with some sort of illusion and then bail because reality isn't so peachy.

Speaking of people coming from Washington, we have a neighbor who came here and within a few conversations started mentioning how racist it is here. None of their experiences seemed to hold any water to me but they struck me as the type who will probably not stick around and maybe came here in haste, given the negative impression they had after only a few months of being here. Then again, they'd probably say the same thing no matter where they went, but I digress. At least most Washingtonians should have a clue about the climate, except maybe those by the coast.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:57 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
A re-occuring theme of these posts is that californians are not as friendly and idahoans. This has been stated by many that have moved to idaho and are happy with how nice everyone is here. This is an opinion stated by Californians themselves. If you accept that as a true statement, why would the people of Idaho be happy with waves of unhappy, unfriendly people moving into their state? For what its worth, when someone moves to Idaho from washington or montana, you have now way of even knowing it (unless you ask them). They no not talk endlessly about their former state.
I've posted elsewhere, perhaps earlier in this thread, that one needs to be careful not to paint with too broad a brush. Not all Californians are alike, just like not all Idahoans are alike. Those that choose to leave the state are most likely somewhat out of the mainstream here, hence their desire to leave to start a new life somewhere else. Since they seem to appreciate a place where people are friendly, it's probably likely they themselves are more friendly than average.

I'd also note that a remarkable percentage of the open and friendly "north Idahoans" we've met turn out to have moved there from California at some point in the past. So. either Idaho is attracting the friendly Californians, or the environment has managed to change them!

Dave

Old 06-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I find it possible to be welcoming towards those who have made it here and have the proper assimilation mentality while also discouraging others who have not relocated here yet and/or want to come and change the culture. However, I can see how some with real estate motives, for example, want to purport a fairy tail image of Idaho and it's people so that people continue to pour in and pump up their values. The negative aspect is when people come here with some sort of illusion and then bail because reality isn't so peachy.

Speaking of people coming from Washington, we have a neighbor who came here and within a few conversations started mentioning how racist it is here. None of their experiences seemed to hold any water to me but they struck me as the type who will probably not stick around and maybe came here in haste, given the negative impression they had after only a few months of being here. Then again, they'd probably say the same thing no matter where they went, but I digress. At least most Washingtonians should have a clue about the climate, except maybe those by the coast.

YOU get to choose the "proper assimilation mentality"? Good gravy, what do you think this is? The Cold War era Soviet Union?

And who is it you presume to have real estate motives? You have no business pontificating nastily about who will and won't make it here, since you've been here a year. Barely. You haven't even been through a REAL north Idaho winter. Who's to say you won't cut and run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho