Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 PM

92 posts, read 403,117 times

Advertisements

We both enjoy lake fishing but I think my husband is more partial to stream and river fishing for trout. Unfortunately we must sell one to buy another property so renting one would not be an option.
When we visited North Idaho I was quite partial to Hayden and also the Fernan Lake area. We were told that property by the Moyie River would give us a lot of bang for our buck when we were ready. We haven't seen that area yet but we plan on seeing it and other areas beyond Sandpoint on our next visit.
I prefer fishing from shore however my husband feels that to live in North Idaho we must have some kind of water craft for fishing. While we did see and access some shore fishing, you really do need a boat to fish much of the lakes in the area. I can't swim, can't learn either, I'm convinced of that and yes, I know that's why they make life preservers but I still feel safer on the shore.
I am going to check out the areas you mentioned, Clark Fork and Blanchard, at least on the internet until we can get up there. We have been to Spirit Lake so if Blanchard is in that area perhaps we didn't realize it. We've seen St. Maries a few times. It was nice but I don't think I would like to live there. I think I would rather be closer to more shopping and hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Have you given much thought as to rather you would like to live in town or in a rural area, or if in town how large you would want? ***edit to add-I just went back and read some of your comments, sounds like in town is what you'd like.*** If you like a few thousand people Sandpoint is nice, you've probably seen lots of comments on the forum. It's a bit busier than I like to live in, especially in terms of traffic, but big enough to have some shopping (2 decent sized grocery stores, Home Depot, Wall Mart, as well as local stores) and a hospital. If you want a smaller town, Priest River might fit too. It's about 20 miles west of Sandpoint, maybe an hour to Spokane. It's right on the Pend Orielle (call it Pondaray, I can't spell it and no one pronounces it right via the spelling) River, which offers real pretty views. It is where Lake Pend Orielle empties, so if you have a boat you can motor up to the lake from there. There is a boat launch, and from what I recall it isn't nearly as busy as the ones in CDA or Sandpoint. Priest River (the river, not the town) drains Priest Lake, it should have some good trout and bass fishing, though I haven't tried it. I think property prices are more reasonable there than some places too. If you like outdoor activities, there is a lot of national forest and state land just outside of Priest River. I'm maybe 10 miles from there, on the other side of the river.

When the time comes and you make the move, it might be worth while to rent for a while. That gives you time to get to know the area and decide where you want to land.

You mentioned the Hayden and the Fernan Lake areas, both are beautiful and are of course closer to a population center. Both are great areas as well, and are adjacent to National Forest land. Both tend to be higher priced than more remote property, I'm sure a realtor can give you some great ideas there. Given that shopping and hospitals/medical are a concern, these areas might be better for you, CDA offers more of both than say the Sandpoint area does, and Spokane isn't a bad hop. Part of my problem is that I tend to project what I'm looking for, which tends to be pretty remote. You can't do badly in the CDA area, significant city life but within a few miles of lakes and national forests.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-05-2009 at 11:09 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks again, Toyman for all your input. This is what I mean about people in Idaho, everyone is so very helpful and they take time out of their busy lives to really help people understand what it is we are looking for and to guide us in the right directions. I have never met so many people both in person in your state and on this forum that are truly generous with their time and energy to help a neighbor or a stranger. We have traveled across our beautiful United States to many places over the years and while we have met many nice people there is still something special about the Idahoans that stands out above the rest.
Thanks again for your time and patience, we really do appreciate it.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:28 PM

134 posts, read 603,923 times
The local classified ad paper here is called the "Nickels Worth" Welcome to Nickel's Worth!. You can find used 12-15 foot aluminum boats in there for around $2,500. That is all you need for most of the smaller lakes like Hayden, Fernan, Kelso, Granite, Twin Lakes. Spirit Lake and the smaller lakes at the south end of Lake Coeur d'Alene.

You can easily live in town near services and be within 5-20 miles of many lakes.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 AM

That was great advice! I just pulled up the paper online and viewed it. It has a bit of everything in it including tons of snow removal services. It's a neat little paper. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 AM

21 posts, read 158,499 times
After having read these posts this morning I have to say you all are the most civil group I've ever read on any internet forum.I'm loving Idaho more and more all the time.Scenery and climate are nice but people are really what make a place liveable.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,605 times
Wow. Lots of snow. I am in hiding right now as my wife is having second thoughts after seeing all the snow. Figures I would pick one of the more harsh winters in Idaho to try and convince the wife of moving to such a beautiful place. I love the cold...she does not. Just sticking my head out...still here, just quiet until the snow goes away. lol

Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times
Dang thats crazy with the building collapsing.. I guess there IS something to be said for the micro-climates down south a bit. This is today Harrison ridge 1.7.08 its raining and about 45 deg's.. Cant believe this is only 30 or so miles from CDA and Spokane.. Is it raining further north and warming up?
Attached Thumbnails
Coeur d'Alene Snow Pictures-1.7.09.jpg  

Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
45 degrees here today with a brisk breeze. It feels wonderful!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 65,006 times
Hi All!

I have a question for Toyman---what is the average snowfall in your area? My boyfriend took a job up there this past February while I am here in northern Arizona. I was all set to put the house on the market this month, but the snow the CDA area has gotten the last couple of years has given me second thoughts. Then I read these posts and him and I have heard the same thing----the snow the last couple of years is very unusual. I'm no sissy when it comes to snow. I was born and raised in Pennysylvania, but 5 feet is a little more than I'm even used to. We have horses, miniature donkeys and a few pygmy goats and I worry about them being able to get around in that much snow. I was able to spend some time in CDA last April and just fell in love with it. I need green and water and mountains! Not dust and dirt. I'm HATE that my horses are dry-lotted. Horses should be on pasture!

So, please tell me about the snow situation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho