Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 12:56 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times

Advertisements

Hi Scoop,
Tell us more about why colleges influenced your decision to go to Boise rather than the Panhandle. Is it because your daughter is planning on going to a Boise area university and she will live at home? Your own job?

Curious because we chose the SP/CdA area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2006, 07:15 PM

12 posts, read 51,101 times
Wink Boise vs. Sandpoint/ CDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian
Hi Scoop,
Tell us more about why colleges influenced your decision to go to Boise rather than the Panhandle. Is it because your daughter is planning on going to a Boise area university and she will live at home? Your own job?

Curious because we chose the SP/CdA area.
We originally looked at the panhandle, and loved it, but there are no universities there. There are several in the Boise area. We hope our daughter will choose one of these, rather than move out of town when the time comes. the other big draw for us was the theater/concert venues that the universities offer. Boise has Shakespear festivals, symphony, and opera. The northern part of the state didn't offer nearly as much in the way of cultural ammenities. The Panida theater was the only thing that came close. CDA may have more, but we were focused more on SP. It may be just our perception, but that's why we chose Boise.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:02 AM

77 posts, read 272,007 times
"Steer clear of Nampa"?????

Nampa doesn't have any more crime than any other city in Idaho per capita.

you need facts not legends.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:54 PM

41 posts, read 199,193 times
If you want views and mountains, try Pocatello area. The University there provides lots of opportunities for culture. It's not as overcrowded as the Boise-Meridian area so real estate is much cheaper. You can get a 4-bdrm house for about 100-150k there. Gosh, 250k would buy you house + acreage out in the hills!

Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,639 times
Default FL? never again!

GA might be a place to go, but FL is definitely NOT! Well, at least not if you have kids and live on a simple budget (ie - make less than 100K/yr). The schools in FL are horrid. I'm in Pinellas County(ST Petersburg) and the schools have destroyed my children's education. My son's middle school band teacher was just arrested for having a relationship with a high school band student - the teacher worked with the high school band as well as the middle school. I'm trying to figure out what area of Ada county to settle - my uncle says the Meridian schools are the best with Boise schools close behind.
Then, there are the taxes - no income tax, but very high property taxes. And the people can't seem to say no to any bond issues, so they ALL pass, every time! They can only raise taxes 3%/year and that is exactly what they do!
I can't wait to get to ID and improve on what we're in now!

Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,631 times
I would not move to Idaho period if you want good wages and love your family ask my kids and I we got to live and have a family destroyed there by Idaho and there good old boy ways as that is how they run the government in Idaho. Also hope you like bad air as that is all the Boise valley gets in the winter almost

Old 06-12-2006, 09:25 PM

47 posts, read 202,707 times
Hey Huntman58, glad to see we finally "ran" you out of Idaho. I know it took the "man" along time to get you out of state. Well, nice talking to you, gotta run to my job at Mcdonalds, take a quick hit of pure oxygen and find out when I can go visit my kids in jail......

Old 06-14-2006, 01:33 AM

As some one who lived in Boise I can tell you Idaho is not all it is cracked up to be. Good housing low wages! Right to work state depresses wages even more then normal. Almost all jobs have little to no benefits.
I found out after over ten years Boise and Idaho are not all that family friendly. No real work for your young persons trying to start out .Schools are not that great if you kids have any kind of learning problem. The schools will not help you test the kids there like the city and state. More worried about how they look on paper in numbers to out of state people then what is real and needed.
I have left Idaho. Yes I miss the country but not the people. Yes they do not like calif. Ask my ex who was spat on and or me who had things thrown at me tell I got my Idaho plates for the car!
If you still want to live there and I pity you if you do. Get you driver’s licenses as fast as you can. Same with changing over you plates. Do not tell others you’re from calif unless they say there from there first. Watch you family as Boise and the area has a big drug problem (I used to drive city busses for Boise) they also like to act like they do not have a gang or drug problem. Drinking is a big thing there also. other then all that Boise is a nice place just some were I do not think after schooling has any thing for the kids to stay in the area unless they want low wages and to bust butt to get no were starting in the work world . That’s why most move from Boise to other cities out of state. Many mom and pop business but they do not pay. Try making less then ten an hour and affording rents at over 5 and 6 hundred a month for a small apartment. I went from 13 years at my job to Idaho and all I was offered for the same work was $6.75 to $7.25 and hour were in calif I made over $19.50 when you can work at a trade and make the same as flipping hamburgers it is sad! really look hard into jobs and wages before you go. The cost of livening is not that much lower to justify the wages being so low!!
I understand the want to leave calif as I also dislike it but I found out the hard way Idaho and Boise area are not what there cracked up to be unless you run your own busses and don’t want to pay what your help is worth.
Could this be why there advertised to out of state business operators and not every day people? Is this why Idaho is known as a business friendly state. If true then they can not be a good place for workers as the two do not go together just think about it do the deep research before you make up your mind. Call every day people who are struggling to make ends meet big time ask them what it is like.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:27 AM

41 posts, read 199,193 times
Do not judge the entire state by bad experiences in Boise.
That's like judging all of California by the crime rate of LA

Old 06-24-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaina
Do not judge the entire state by bad experiences in Boise.
That's like judging all of California by the crime rate of LA
no I do not judge the whole state by one thing I do by many many and just one is there laws and there not fallowing them at all then too I judge on the close my eye and it go's away thoughts like gangs in Idaho yup was told there were none but first day there I could tell ya there was. Then also Idaho as friendly heard that one too but the first full day there the wife’s car was spat on as she drove also yelled at to go home that’s only a drop in the bucket. The biggest was destroying my family and not even fallowing Idaho’s laws just the good old boy clubs and only if you’re connected with them. But reading a lot of news papers doing research and talking to people I know in Idaho (who for there safety I will not name ever) things have not changed at all kind of like this article.
Look it up to read the rest like I said they tell you they do not have a gang problem

Posted: 05/28/06 - 02:57:50 am MDT
Shooting, stabbing occur in Nampa

Crime: Three people sent to hospitals in separate incidents; police say violence likely gang-related

By Sharon Strauss - Idaho Press-Tribune
NAMPA -- A drive-by shooting and a separate stabbing sent three people to the hospital overnight.

Nampa Police officials said they believe the violence is gang-related.
Officers responded to a call of several shots fired into a residence in the 100 block of Blaine Avenue at 11:04 p.m. Friday. Inside the home, a 42-year-old female Nampa resident had been shot in the arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho