Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times

Advertisements

The original post is right on the money.

I'd add a "guest worker" provision because some are going to demand that as a "compromise".

So, perhaps no amnesty for anyone who's been in the US illegally for more than 5 years.
A five year waiting period (in the persons respective home country) before guest worker status for anyone who has been in the US illegally for less than five years.
Limit guest workers to two (2) three (3) year periods in the US w/i any ten year period. After two three year guest-worker visas granted in any one decade the person must wait TEN YEARS before applying for another guest-worker visa. That wait must be conducted OUTSIDE the US.
Guest workers will be severely limited in their benefits they receive, ie the employer will be required to provide all conceivable benefits necessary, (health education etc) not the US taxpayer.
Guest workers will NOT (obviously) be allowed to vote, own firearms, own property, get instate tuition for their children or collect or receive any other benefits due US citizens. A guest worker visa will NOT be equivalent to a "green card".
Children of guest workers who just happen to be born in the US will NOT get "birth-right" US citizenship. The guest worker may NOT bring in as dependents extended family members but ONLY immediate family. ie Husband Wife and their children. Cases where the family is not complete, ie there is no father or mother, other family may be substituted on a one-for-one basis. These dependents will be granted GUEST WORKER DEPENDENT visas that will NOT allow them any public benefits, save those funded 100% by the EMPLOYERS of the guest-worker or the guest-workers themselves. Guest-workers and/or their dependents, may NOT have any current or past gang or criminal organization affiliation. Such applicants will be DENIED visas.
Guest workers MAY get drivers licenses IF driving is part of their guest employment AND their employer fully funds the vehicle, the insurance and covers the cost of all aspects of that guest-workers driving. Such licenses will be clearly marked "GUEST WORKER" and will be valid ONLY for the same time period as the workers GUEST WORKER VISA status. Any guest worker who's employment status is revoked will automatically loose their visa and any and all benefits associated with that visa and will be deported w/i 48 hours. Deportation costs will be entirely borne by the (now former) employer. Guest workers who have drivers licenses will need to be able to understand basic English. The employer will need to provide language lessons for workers to meet this requirement if necessary. Having such a license will afford the guest-worker NO OTHER RIGHTS or benefits.
Any potential guest-worker who has a violent criminal background from crimes committed in ANY country will NOT be granted guest-worker status EVER.
If the EMPLOYER so chooses they, THE EMPLOYER may "sponsor" a guest worker on a citizenship path but the EMPLOYER must bear ALL THE COSTS of such a sponsorship. No guest-worker may apply for such a program if they have not first, already been issued TWO guest worker visas and fulfilled all the terms and conditions of those visas w/o incident. Any guest-worker who commits crimes or whose dependents commit crimes while on guest-worker or guest-worker dependent visas will be deported w/i 48 hrs. at the employers expense and such violators will be be denied any possibility at US citizenship.
Guest worker visas and potential citizenship programs may NOT be used to provide a path to citizenship for ANY "political" refugee.
All guest-workers must be fully vetted by and must also register with the FBI. There will be no limit on the number of guest workers any particular employer may bring in at any one time provided that the employer can demonstrate that all such guest workers will be fully employed by the employer for the entire duration of the guest-workers visa. All costs of any aspect of the guest-worker (and or dependents) or guest-workers presence in the US will be borne by the employer and NOT the US taxpayer or US citizens.

There are ways that people can immigrate to the US but what we have now is simply madness.
The border and the "system" needs to be fixed.

Last edited by Happy Cells; 07-12-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Just as Illegal entry is to Not ever having a drivers license....the charges are different.

Driving with a expired DL you can often get the charge dropped by applying for a new licence. So if they have a expired visa should they be able to re-apply?

(I already know your answer)
What state is that in? How long has it been expired? In PA driving with an expired license comes with consequences when caught.
How does one allow their VISA to expire? My wife a Legal immigrant has never faced such a threat. Why? Because we make sure it never expires.
If you are a legal immigrant the onus is on you to take care of your business. If you opt to ignore deadlines then you should accept the consequences.
By the way they are allowed to reapply. They may not be accepted.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Of course you are assuming that the savings were passed on to the consumers. I myself am not convinced that this is true. While building a house I fired a contractor that used illegals. Guess what his replacement didn't cost me all that much more. I forget how much but it was only like 100 bucks.
Many meat packing plants don't use illegals. Is the cost of their product substantially higher? If so how do they stay in business? Many building contractors don't use illegals and yet they remain competitive.

While this article is old, I don't think much has changed, except the politically induced panic.
USATODAY.com - USA just wouldn't work without immigrant labor

But this didn't happen overnight.

And here is a article (a couple years ago) from Texas, on a meat packing plant
Swift Meatpacking Plant and Illegal Immigrants - Page 1 - Dining - Houston - Houston Press

I don't know how the case turned out but most businesses will find a way around the system.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
The original post is right on the money.

I'd add a "guest worker" provision because some are going to demand that as a "compromise".

So, perhaps no amnesty for anyone who's been in the US illegally for more than 5 years.
A five year waiting period (in the persons respective home country) before guest worker status for anyone who has been in the US illegally for less than five years.
Limit quest workers to two three year periods in the US w/i any ten year period. After two three year guest-worker visas granted in any one decade the person must wait TEN YEARS before applying for another guest-worker visa. That wait must be conducted OUTSIDE the US.
Guest workers will be severely limited in their benefits they receive, ie the employer will be required to provide all conceivable benefits necessary, (health education etc) not the US taxpayer.
Guest workers will NOT (obviously) be allowed to vote, own firearms, own property, get instate tuition for their children or collect or receive any other benefits due US citizens.
Children of guest workers who just happen to be born in the US will NOT get "birth-right" US citizenship. The guest worker may NOT bring in as dependents extended family members but ONLY immediate family. ie Husband Wife and their children. These dependents will be granted GUEST WORKER DEPENDENT visas that will NOT allow them any public benefits, save those funded 100% by the EMPLOYERS of the guest-worker. Guest-workers and/or their dependents, may NOT have any current or past gang or criminal organization affiliation. Such applicants will be DENIED visas.
Guest workers MAY get drivers licenses IF driving is part of their guest employment AND their employer funds the vehicle, the insurance and covers the cost of all aspects of that guest-workers driving. Such licenses will be clearly marked "GUEST WORKER" and will be valid for the same time period as the workers GUEST WORKER VISA status. Any guest worker who's employment status is revoked will automatically loose their visa and any and all benefits associated with that visa and will be deported w/i 48 hours. Deportation costs will be entirely borne by the (now former) employer. Guest workers who have drivers licenses will need to be able to understand basic English. The employer will need to provide language lessons for workers to meet this requirement if necessary. Having such a license will afford the guest-worker NO OTHER RIGHTS or benefits.
Any potential guest-worker who has a criminal background from crimes committed in ANY country will NOT be granted guest-worker status EVER.
If the EMPLOYER so chooses they, THE EMPLOYER may "sponsor" a guest worker on a citizenship path but the EMPLOYER must bear ALL THE COSTS of such a sponsorship. No guest-worker may apply for such a program if they have not already been issued TWO guest worker visas and fulfilled all the terms and conditions of those visas w/o incident.
Guest worker visas and potential citizenship programs may NOT be used to provide a path to citizenship for ANY "political" refugee.
All guest-workers must be fully vetted by and must also register with the FBI.

There are ways that people can immigrate to the US but what we have now is simply madness.
The border and the "system" needs to be fixed.
Whats broken about the system is poor enforcement. 1 million legal immigrants a year would indicate a rather laxed system. The fact that the USA allows more immigration than all other countries combined would indicate that we are more than fair. In fact too fair. We need to raise our benchmark about what is acceptable.
These illegals have demonstrated 1 thing if nothing else. That they don't deserve a VISA and never did. Anyone who has so little regard or respect for us as a nation really has no right to be here.
Would you be so forgiving of people entering your house uninvited? Would you accept an excuse from your police department that they were too busy to come make the intruder leave?
Would you be forgiving if the intruder started eating your food, using your phone, credit cards and then demanding that you change your household so that they might feel more comfortable? This is what illegals are doing but on a much larger scale.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
While this article is old, I don't think much has changed, except the politically induced panic.
USATODAY.com - USA just wouldn't work without immigrant labor

But this didn't happen overnight.

And here is a article (a couple years ago) from Texas, on a meat packing plant
Swift Meatpacking Plant and Illegal Immigrants - Page 1 - Dining - Houston - Houston Press

I don't know how the case turned out but most businesses will find a way around the system.
But do they pass the savings on or do they pocket the savings?
How do companies that don't use illegals remain competitive? Lets face it most folks will go for cheaper every time over quality. Case in point Chinese made products.
I live in a farming community. Our Dairy farmers don't use illegals, nor does the local meat packing plant. The area wouldn't stand for it. Yet they remain viable.
Could it be an excuse by the villains for their misdeeds?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Just as Illegal entry is to Not ever having a drivers license....the charges are different.

Driving with a expired DL you can often get the charge dropped by applying for a new licence. So if they have a expired visa should they be able to re-apply?

Quote:
(I already know your answer)
Quote:
If you know my answer...............let's hear it.

I'm still waiting......

Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What state is that in? How long has it been expired? In PA driving with an expired license comes with consequences when caught.
Wasn't gonna spend much time but the first one that came up:

From Harris County Texas:

If you are charged with “driving with an expired driver’s license,” the court may dismiss the charge if you have remedied this defect within 20 working days or before your first court appearance. You may be required to pay an administrative fee of $10 if the charge is dismissed.

I know Michigan courts work pretty much the same way, even if not in print.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If you know my answer...............let's hear it.

No......

Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'm still waiting......

Sorry, Im driving. Can only answer when we are stopped and not taping a story. (see above post for answer)
(Can't text while driving in this state)

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Im driving. Can only answer when we are stopped and not taping a story.
(Can't text while driving in this state)
ROFL well that is in deed a valid excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration