Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:59 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times

Advertisements

The Citizens Voice - Business - 09/11/2007 - Northeastern Pa. gets first all-Hispanic radio station

Carbondale-based WCDL-AM has been renamed Caliente (Hot) 1440 and recently adopted all Spanish-language programming, including a daily local broadcast from 7 to 10 a.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Another sign that this area is losing its identity. This area is traditionally Irish, Italian, Polish, as well as Catholic....and personally, I like it that way. Before you know it, we won't be known for St Patricks Day and Old Forge Pizza....we'll be known for Cinco de Mayo and chimichangas.

Good Grief!

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 09-12-2007 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Another sign that this area is losing its idenity. This area is traditionally Irish, Italian, Polish, as well as Catholic....and personally, I like it that way. Before you know it, we won't be known for St Patricks Day and Old Forge Pizza....we'll be known for Cinco de Mayo and chimichangas.

Good Grief!
You better get used to it. Monroe County now has more NY/NJ natives than PA natives in its boundaries, and the racial/cultural diversity out there is mind-boggling. That will soon be spreading into Lackawanna/Luzerne Counties as well. As the cultural epicenter of NEPA, Scranton will become the host city for all sorts of ethnic festivals, parades, eateries, etc. We already have the Fiesta en Scranton and a Latin Pride Parade, and I've heard rumors that a gay pride festival may even be in the works for next year. As the NY/NJ crowd continues to move closer to Scranton, we'll continue to see more Hispanics, African-Americans, lesbians/gays, Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, Atheists, etc. flooding into the city, giving it a more diverse flair.

I'm actually cautiously-optimistic about what more cultural/social diversity in the Electric City might do to help its renaissance. As far as Scranton "losing its identity" is concerned, I truly don't want to be known as "that depressed old coal mining city down in the valley" much longer, even if it means embracing new ideas and traditions to give us a more positive image.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 AM

I have nothing against people of other cultures, and if this makes me closed-minded, so be it, but I don't understand what's the big deal about "diversity." For some reason, this area having strong Irish, Polish, Italian, German, Welsh roots is not considered "diverse," even though some of those cultures are very different from each other....but as soon as Hispanics and blacks come in, that's considered diverse. Like I said, I have nothing against people of other cultures, but I like the culture of NE PA just the way it is.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I truly don't want to be known as "that depressed old coal mining city down in the valley" much longer, even if it means embracing new ideas and traditions to give us a more positive image.

Why would we all of a sudden not be a "depressed coal mining city" just because Hispanics moved in? Why are Hispanic ideas and traditions worthy of a positive image, yet Irish, Italian, etc traditions are just reminiscient of the "dark days of coal mining." As someone of Irish and Scottish background, I resent that.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Why would we all of a sudden not be a "depressed coal mining city" just because Hispanics moved in? Why are Hispanic ideas and traditions worthy of a positive image, yet Irish, Italian, etc traditions are just reminiscient of the "dark days of coal mining." As someone of Irish and Scottish background, I resent that.
I'm of an Italian, German, Scottish, and Slovak background, yet first and foremost I consider myself to be an American. Our Irish ancestors may have helped to build Scranton from the ground up during its heyday, and they've had their chance to shine. Now that the city has declined significantly, I'd welcome any sort of group that wanted to come to the Electric City to help revive it, whether it be a growing community of Hispanics, African-Americans, Hassidic Jews, LGBTs, etc. Ideally I'd like to see the city become a MUTT of everything. I think it would be neat to have a Kosher deli next-door to a Latin bakery next-door to an LGBT-oriented dance club next-door to a chapter of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick next door to a chapter of the NAACP all on the same downtown block downtown.

I don't see how embracing diversity in any way, shape, or form invalidates the contributions of our European ancestors.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:52 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
I have nothing against people of other cultures, and if this makes me closed-minded, so be it, but I don't understand what's the big deal about "diversity." For some reason, this area having strong Irish, Polish, Italian, German, Welsh roots is not considered "diverse," even though some of those cultures are very different from each other....but as soon as Hispanics and blacks come in, that's considered diverse. Like I said, I have nothing against people of other cultures, but I like the culture of NE PA just the way it is.
Well said, go phillies. Apparently, I'm as close-minded as you are. I don't see any celebration of the diverse people who made this region what it is; they are now referred to as old-fashioned and having "coal-miner mentality". The politically-correct version of diversity seems to only mean that blacks, Hispanics, and gays/lesbians have become a significant part of the population, and that we have celebrations of their lifestyles with parades and festivals. I think it's great for people from other areas to like our part of the country and want to live here, but I don't think NEPA needs to be Philadelphia or NYC.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
We need a Spanish radio station in NEPA like Scranton needs another tax increase. I see no need for a station like this. The Hispanic population isn't enough to support a radio station. I'm in agreement with go phillies and greentown on this one. I'm getting tired of diversity only pertaining to blacks, Hispanics, etc. also. I don't see these groups of people contributing anything significant to the area anyway. I guess I'm close minded also, but I really don't care about diversity. Sorry, that's just how I feel. I'm not politically correct.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,994 times
I could live without it..... in the sense of "is this really necessary?"; I could also live without ever hearing the sound of another diesel engine...or back-up beeper, for example. I've have my fill of a few things, especially those having to do with unwelcome sounds.........

But, I look at this as some smart hombre doing business, making money. Radio and TV stations, like well run news/publications operations can be highly profitable...Think about it..... re-tune an existing station or set a new station up, with the permits and FCC approvals, get it going, get the advertising base up and running, get it growing through a five or ten year period then trade on the equity or sell it at perhaps a big profit.

We listeners are accustomed to hearing what we hear on our favorite stations with variable attention, but think in terms of the broadcaster simply filling in time between the cash cow ads, for our listening pleasure....

Thus, here's a guy, savvy Latino or not, who recognizes the financial possisbilites of setting up a Spanish station in NePA in the face of an expanding regional latino population......it's the dollars......not altruism for the listeners that's the greater motivation.....

Old 09-13-2007, 05:45 AM

Honestly, there would be no need for a Spanish language radio station and signs in Spanish, etc, if the Hispanics would just learn to speak ENGLISH....just like past generations of immigrants from Italy, Germany, Russia, etc. Those people came here and were proud to learn the language and assimilate. The Hispanics expect US to learn their language, and I'm sick of it. I have no problem with Hispanics coming here, as long as they are legal and plan to learn our language. I'm not learning Spanish because of their laziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration