Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:52 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,664,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Honestly, there would be no need for a Spanish language radio station and signs in Spanish, etc, if the Hispanics would just learn to speak ENGLISH....just like past generations of immigrants from Italy, Germany, Russia, etc. Those people came here and were proud to learn the language and assimilate. The Hispanics expect US to learn their language, and I'm sick of it. I have no problem with Hispanics coming here, as long as they are legal and plan to learn our language. I'm not learning Spanish because of their laziness.
Well said. Everything is in Spanish. You don't see signs in America in German, Italian, or Russian. Only in Spanish. I'm tired of this country catering to Spanish speaking people. You want to live here, learn our language, English. If not don't come. They want to come here and live the American dream, but don't want to assimalate. Enough is enough. If they're too lazy to learn our language and customs, they should not be here. Because if I moved to a foreign country, I damn well better learn that countries language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
I could live without it..... in the sense of "is this really necessary?"; I could also live without ever hearing the sound of another diesel engine...or back-up beeper, for example. I've have my fill of a few things, especially those having to do with unwelcome sounds.........
Where do you live WasPA? Because I hear trucks and back-up beepers every day here in West Scranton since June. I'm going nuts already. The endless water pipe installation project keeps dragging on.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 AM

996 posts, read 3,281,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Well said. Everything is in Spanish. You don't see signs in America in German, Italian, or Russian. Only in Spanish. I'm tired of this country catering to Spanish speaking people. You want to live here, learn our language, English. If not don't come. They want to come here and live the American dream, but don't want to assimalate. Enough is enough. If they're too lazy to learn our language and customs, they should not be here. Because if I moved to a foreign country, I damn well better learn that countries language.
On this subject, I just got the flyer for my daughter's high school pictures, which is printed in English, but also prominantly in Spanish right underneath. If these kids are in an American high school, isn't it safe to assume that they would be able to print this only in English? I am also getting tired of buying products and having to seach for the English instructions. I completely agree with gophillies and NYRangers on this. If alot of the Spanish was discontinued, foreigners would be forced to learn English instead of being catered to.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
On this subject, I just got the flyer for my daughter's high school pictures, which is printed in English, but also prominantly in Spanish right underneath. If these kids are in an American high school, isn't it safe to assume that they would be able to print this only in English? I am also getting tired of buying products and having to seach for the English instructions. I completely agree with gophillies and NYRangers on this. If alot of the Spanish was discontinued, foreigners would be forced to learn English instead of being catered to.
Exactly why I hope Lou Barletta's political career takes him to Washington.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 AM

996 posts, read 3,281,364 times
Quote:
Exactly why I hope Lou Barletta's political career takes him to Washington.
He would get my vote!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,941,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You are absolutely 100% correct. I know that is not a popular viewpoint, but a good one nonetheless.

Another think that irks me with the new Spanish station is that someone will be blasting it on every state park here in PA. I kid you not, every time we visit Beltzville in Carbon County, there is Spanish music blasting. Everyone else in the beach area is listening quietly to music or using headphones, but there is always at least one boom box blasting Spanish music.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
You are absolutely 100% correct. I know that is not a popular viewpoint, but a good one nonetheless.

Another think that irks me with the new Spanish station is that someone will be blasting it on every state park here in PA. I kid you not, every time we visit Beltzville in Carbon County, there is Spanish music blasting. Everyone else in the beach area is listening quietly to music or using headphones, but there is always at least one boom box blasting Spanish music.
The same with Mcdade park in Scranton. Every weekend it seems, there are Hispanics there having picnics and BLARING their hispanic music for the entire park to hear whether they like it or not. There is defintely a huge difference in culture between Americans and Hispanics...Hispanics in Scranton tend to not keep up their properties, will frequently hang out of their windows to yell to each other, and many seem to use Puerto Rican flags as front-window curtains. They also seem the have an aversion to walking on sidewalks...drive through South Side and you'll see packs of them walking in the middle of the street, even though there are perfectly good sidewalks to use. I know they don't necessarily mean any harm, but they need to try better at assimilating.

For some reason, you don't see the Italians blasting Frank Sinatra, the Irish blasting the Irish Rovers, and the Polish blasting Stanky and the Coalminers at the park at full blast....

Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,720,178 times
Quote:
The same with Mcdade park in Scranton. Every weekend it seems, there are Hispanics there having picnics and BLARING their hispanic music for the entire park to hear whether they like it or not. There is defintely a huge difference in culture between Americans and Hispanics...Hispanics in Scranton tend to not keep up their properties, will frequently hang out of their windows to yell to each other, and many seem to use Puerto Rican flags as front-window curtains. They also seem the have an aversion to walking on sidewalks...drive through South Side and you'll see packs of them walking in the middle of the street, even though there are perfectly good sidewalks to use. I know they don't necessarily mean any harm, but they need to try better at assimilating.

For some reason, you don't see the Italians blasting Frank Sinatra, the Irish blasting the Irish Rovers, and the Polish blasting Stanky and the Coalminers at the park at full blast....
Sorry to butt in here, but I've been following this thread and I have to agree with gophillies. The Latino community will make absolutely no effort to help out their neighbors unless they are Latino themselves. And improve their own neighborhood? I should drive around here and take some pictures to let you guys know what's in store...it's nothing but filth and grime.

The PR's get 4 parades here per year...4!!! And do you know what comes with those parades? Crime, stabbings, sexual assaults, and filth and LOTS of it. As far as I'm concerned, this is not a good thing for Scranton or the surrounding communities.

I don't mind their music, but they have absolutely no concept on how to play it at normal levels.

The cancer is spreading...

Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 AM

And why exactly do we need to have these people living here? For diversity? We shouldn't have diversity just for the sake of it. If they can't even adapt a little to our way of life, what's the sense?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:24 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,696,389 times
While I agree with everything that's been said (at least 99.9% of it anyway) I do find the "us" and "they" comments disturbing.

I agree that someone who moves to the United States to live here permanently needs to do so legally, and they need to learn the language ASAP. However, I also understand that English is not the easiest language to learn. If I were to move my family to Germany, I would certainly try to learn the language, but I'd appreciate having an English translation available to me if I needed it, especially on papers coming home from the school, and especially when it involves spending money on something. However, on the flip side, I certainly wouldn't expect the entire country to accommodate my needs and those of people like me.

I totally relate to the frustration of trying to find the English wording on products in the stores. It's becoming more and more popular for companies to print Spanish along with English and it's annoying, to say the least. Then when they add French, Japanese, Swahili and every other language, it's just ridiculous!

Unfortunately, this is the way life is becoming in the good old U.S. and it's something we're all going to have to adjust to. It doesn't seem right, though, that "everyone else" can have their parades and events, and yet let a good old WASP try it and they're being sued or denied or whatever.

But back to the "us" and "them" - I know you're all good people who are doing your best to raise your families and instill values in your children (as am I), but let's also remember that we're all God's children and we should treat each individual we encounter with good will and respect - until they earn our disrespect and ill will by doing something that goes against society in general. Once that line is crossed, then the individual must be held accountable. But once we start generalizing whole groups based on the actions of individuals, things can get nasty. And this applies not just to Hispanics, but to anyone when we find ourselves thinking: "Gee, why can't they be just like me?" People aren't all the same and life would be pretty boring if we were. Believe me, you all wouldn't want to be just like me, nor would I want you to be!

So, like I said, I agree with all y'all, but I hope we don't get into an "us versus them" mentality either. There are many wonderful people in the world, and everyone has an interesting story if we'll just take the time to listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration