Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:00 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times

Advertisements

As a mexican I know that most people who chose to emigrate from this country aren't exactly starving in the streets, like the people from this picture

http://oxala.de/hunger.jpg (broken link)

I've been in several places in Mexico, some places haven't been pretty at all, but you don't get to see that kind of situation.

This is more the kind of Mexican poverty

But the strangest is that these people don't emigrate at all

http://warmonger.mu.nu/archives/barton.jpg (broken link)

This is more the kind of emigrant.

How can we untie, this gordian knot??? what makes them emigrate?

Obviously their conditions aren't the best, but they are better off than the people you saw in the first picture, and the poorest of this country don't emigrate at all, there must be something weird here.

What makes this 9% of the Mexican population emigrate, while the other 91% remain?

is it because of relatives there?

is it because of malinchismo??

is it because of the desire of a better life?

What is it????

will this ever end????

what is the best solution???

We need to continue having a dialogue here, but being honest, speaking the truth, and debunking myths, it's the only way to solve it, for the benefit of us all!!

Peace, Love, Light and Harmony

MOD EDIT - Source for pictures, in order as above:
Yanx ( ::under construction:: (http://yanx.org - broken link) )
http://www.carto.net/neumann/travell..._pass_kampala/ (broken link)
Ecos de la costa (coastal echoes) ( Ecos de la Costa | OnLine - Esta viendo la edicion: 2007-11-21 )
American warmonger ( American Warmonger (http://warmonger.mu.nu/ - broken link) )
Olganza ( Olganza )

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-21-2007 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: provide additional credits for original source for photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Mexico is a "wealthy" country. They are rich in natural resources. They are rich in available labor. They are rich in creativeness.

Let the government of Mexico work to improve their citizens.

The United States, and its citizens, should not be obligated to pay for their citizens nor should our standard of living be brought down because another country fails to provide for its citizens

Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Mexico is a "wealthy" country. They are rich in natural resources. They are rich in available labor. They are rich in creativeness.

The United States, and its citizens, should not be obligated to pay for their citizens nor should our standard of living be brought down because another country fails to provide for its citizens

The Government begs to differ. As we've seen before, the U.S thinks of itself as a "Big Brother" to other countries.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:28 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:

The government of Mexico is working very hard to improve the conditions of this country, and as a human who grew and was raised in Mexico, who has lived in this country for almost 30 years I know that things are better now than the ever were, at least in my lifetime because older people tell me of the glorious times from the 40's to 1970, the grim year when Mexico's economic woes started and shattered the life standards until they finally stopped on 1994, thank God!

I know that people who lives here can earn a reasonable wage, working in "blue collar" jobs like construction, manufacturing plants or professions like plumbers, blacksmiths, bakers, etc people who have tech related jobs that required english, computer skills are better off, and "white collar" jobs have to struggle like everybody else, but they can't complain.

People who have the worst conditions are peasants and the original inhabitants of the americas, there are tribes who live in subhuman conditions sometimes, others are fairly better off.

Maybe these are the groups who immigrate to the USA?

How could the conditions of this people be improved?

Because of Nafta, most of the food we ate here comes from the USA, maybe a new guest workers plan for farm jobs?

Maybe outsourcing could be a solution, what about American farmers investing in farms here and hiring Mexican workers, they could pay very good wages to them and solve a huge problem.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-20-2007 at 03:49 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Not sure about a lot of things, but I do know that a lot of what drives Mexican illegal "emigration" (out), is nothing more than simple opportunism. They do it because they CAN....it's just geography. You can literally "walk" into a new country, and a new chance at life. Overseas immigrants (Europeans, Asians, Middle Easterners, etc) have no choice but to make it a huge issue to get here...they just cannot do it, alone....and once they're here, they're more-or-less "stuck here" for a good long while. A Mexican can literally go back-and-forth every month. (I personally have known illegals who go to Mexico for doctor and dentist appt's, etc....try THAT if you're from China or India !)

As I've often said, the availability of the huge US "safety valve" in defusing the anger and frustration of the poor classes of Mexico acts to discourage Mexican officials from doing anything about the poverty there. If you have an angry, mistreated population, why try to "appease" them, when it's so easy to just "send them north"? As stated before, the presence of the US as a next-door neighbor is one thing keeping Mexico from a violent revolution--("Don't get mad---just go North".)..

Once again, much of it is just fate----Mexico just HAPPENS to be right next door to the US. If Mexico bordered on China or India, this wouldn't be happening. If the US bordered on Japan or France, it wouldn't be happening, either.

And, because Canada has a very high per-capita income, similar to that of the US, there's not a lot of illegal immigration on THAT border, either. What drives our illegal situation is twofold....(1)The huge income disparity between the US and Mexico, and (2)The immediate geographic proximity of the two countries. Take away EITHER of those two things, and you'd cut way down on the "traffic"..

Old 11-20-2007, 03:39 PM

I really don't like looking at those pictures.. my mom always uses that and stories to make me feel bad for all the crap that I have.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
Quote:

Agreed, and I would take it one step further. The government of Mexico should pay the US reparations to at least partially recoup the economic losses we've incurred due to the illegal aliens and their burden on the US economy.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Travelling fella:

Where are the pictures of the POOR LEGAL citizens that are in this country that are

being robbed of benefits because they are going to the illegals?

Oh and the pic of the last guy, well, it appears to me that he is remodeling that bathroom.
Which means he has a construction job that has been taken away from a legal citizen of this country!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:00 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
As a mexican I know that most people who chose to emigrate from this country aren't exactly starving in the streets, like the people from this picture
With all due respect, Travelling fella . . . what a big ole crock of ca ca!

Mexico is poor for one reason and one reason only . . . A MEGA-CORRUPT GOVERNMENT. Considering all of the fantastic resources in Mexico, there is absolutely no reason for such poverty. Jumping ship and looking for a FREE RIDE in this country is not the solution.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
With all due respect, Travelling fella . . . what a big ole crock of ca ca!

Mexico is poor for one reason and one reason only . . . A MEGA-CORRUPT GOVERNMENT. Considering all of the fantastic resources in Mexico, there is absolutely no reason for such poverty. Jumping ship and looking for a FREE RIDE in this country is not the solution.
The Government of Mexico don't see it as a free ride but the people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration