Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Do you believe that if employers were fined for hiring illegals and forced to hire citizens it may have the same effect that the down economy has had?
If you go after it you end up with some odd effects. We have had a couple of incidents recently that illustrate. A local Sr Community just got hit with a audit. Had something like 30 illegals on their payroll in the landscaping stuff. They fired the Community Director who was actually a pretty good executive. Most of the workers had come over from the developer 15 years ago and had just been below the radar. Now you could fine this operation big per head but that would force the Sr. Citizens to make it up. i would think the jobs went to all legals...though some of the work may now be contracted so who knows? I will however guarantee the staff is as hispanic as ever.

Reno fast food restaurant caught it. No sympathy as this guy was obviously taking advantage. Then again most involved were teenagers.

You look at the rest...the guy helping the AC guy do the install next door. I don't know but betcha illegal. My old tile guys helper...the only one he thought competent was likely an illegal. Some of my cleaning lady's helpers may be illegal. I am not sure she knows. They change over pretty quick. The two kitchen guys at the Sushi bar may well be illegal. Look at all that though and what would you enforce? Even the Sushi guy who I know well and think knowledgable likely has documentation showing his help is legal. Hell he may have gotten it for them.

So mostly pretty embedded and not particularly driven by low wages...more a capable and compliant work crew.

Quote:
Do you think that withholding fed funds to sanctuary states would have an impact?

I'm not implying that I think this will happen, I'm just curious if you think any of these things would make a difference. If the economy has had an impact would either of these things change the course? If not why?
Sanctuary cities etc is show stuff. Has no real impact. I doubt there is any real way to define one. I suspect west podunk NB lacks an illegal deportation agreement as they have no illegals. You going to pull their funding?

Let us be clear. The ICE et al deport as many people as they are budgeted for. If you wish twice as many just get them twice the budget...etc. Simple as that. Only thing the current administration has done is increase the overall rate slightly and concentrate hard on criminals. Which sounds rational to me.

Quote:
It's my opinion that if twenty some states are now filing for some kind of state legislation it may at least be a deterant in those states. What do you think?
You need a substantial illegal immigration population before the action is relevant. And at least some of the seriously involved states won't play. None of AZs neighbors for instance have the same drive.

It may well be that climate can move them around...but I don't think it can make them leave the country. And note you can get into a real mess if you start harrassing the legal hispanics. So a tricky path to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,492,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
All of which say the same thing. Which leads directly to the conclusion I made...The illegals have left NV at a higher rate than AZ.

Which strongly indicates that the motion of the illegals is driven by the economy not by law.

For those who would like real numbers rather than wishful anecdotes...

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/126.pdf
Illegals REALLY started leaving when our sanctions law was passed in 2007 then lots more went away with SB1070. Before Judge Bolton cut it down. I live in Tempe so I kinda know whats happening here.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Yeah, according to many "legal" Hispanics being asked for their DL or green card during a lawful traffic stop is "harrassing" them. Of course we know what their real motive is and that is to protect their illegal brethern.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 AM

320 posts, read 290,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yeah, according to many "legal" Hispanics being asked for their DL or green card during a lawful traffic stop is "harrassing" them. Of course we know what their real motive is and that is to protect their illegal brethern.
Very stupid statement.

I'm sure while these Americans are being harassed their main concern is that their illegal "brethren" are safe. You know every once in a while you're true colors are their for everyone to see. Now go and tell me about how you're not racist against Hispanics. And then turn around and lump them all into one category in your statements.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Very stupid statement.

I'm sure while these Americans are being harassed their main concern is that their illegal "brethren" are safe. You know every once in a while you're true colors are their for everyone to see. Now go and tell me about how you're not racist against Hispanics. And then turn around and lump them all into one category in your statements.
Facts are stupid? There is no racial profiling in the enforcement of our immigration laws, therefore it is a lie on the part of those legal Hispanics that say they are being harrassed.

Keep your race card in your wallet. Me pointing out facts is not racist. I never lumped Hispanics all in one catagory as in the usage of the word "many" and not "all. Some do put our laws above their ethnic kind but far too many do not. I have no problem with legal Hispanics who put the laws of this country above their ethnicity and expect our immigration laws to be enforced against their own and anyone else here in our country illegally.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,492,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Very stupid statement.

Domination: if you are playing loud music in your troka, the cops WILL nail you. If you are out there acting stupid, the cops will nail you as well. I dont care if youre Hispanic or not. Besides: Hispanic aint a race.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Illegals REALLY started leaving when our sanctions law was passed in 2007 then lots more went away with SB1070. Before Judge Bolton cut it down. I live in Tempe so I kinda know whats happening here.
Funny I could have sworn the economic downturn started in AZ at the same time it did in NV around 2007. Are you suggesting that did not happen?

But we lost relatively more illegals on the economy than AZ did on the laws.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Funny I could have sworn the economic downturn started in AZ at the same time it did in NV around 2007. Are you suggesting that did not happen?

But we lost relatively more illegals on the economy than AZ did on the laws.
Isn't that self-deportation?

Old 01-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Isn't that self-deportation?
If they left the US. I would think very few did. From either NV or AZ. They went where there was work.

It is quite clear that the economy has vastly lowered the inflow..

Pew suggest the Annual inflow of illegals is down to 300,000 from 850,000 at mid decade.

However Pew believes the Mexican illegal population peaked in 2007 and remains at about that level.

So the Mexicans are not going home in any numbers.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,870,167 times
Quote:
If they left the US. I would think very few did. From either NV or AZ. They went where there was work.

It is quite clear that the economy has vastly lowered the inflow..

Pew suggest the Annual inflow of illegals is down to 300,000 from 850,000 at mid decade.

However Pew believes the Mexican illegal population peaked in 2007 and remains at about that level.

So the Mexicans are not going home in any numbers.

Pew also stated that the data collection methods changed around that time too so it could be rough to guestimate. I love the way the gov't collects data, Pew makes guesstimates based on that data, gov't changes their process, Pew continues to make guesstimates, yet they all admit we really have no idea as to how many are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration