Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 AM

182 posts, read 406,498 times

Advertisements

Why my mother -- who worked in the early 1960's as a secretary, who became a stay at home mom after the birth of the first of her children, who was diagnosed and ultimately crippled by multiple sclerosis -- was denied Social Security Disability benefits because she didn't work a full 40 quarters while an illegal immigrant can cross the border and give birth to a baby who hasn't worked at all can reap all sorts of benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
Why my mother -- who worked in the early 1960's as a secretary, who became a stay at home mom after the birth of the first of her children, who was diagnosed and ultimately crippled by multiple sclerosis -- was denied Social Security Disability benefits because she didn't work a full 40 quarters while an illegal immigrant can cross the border and give birth to a baby who hasn't worked at all can reap all sorts of benefits?

Not sure about the former but the latter has commonly become known as politically hispandering hispanic anchors into future democratic voters through democratic welfare conditioning.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
That is why I tell all my clients that are self employed to employ the wife, if possible. It's crap but it is the law. Then again, I know a young woman that is on disability for bipolar disorder (haha) and I think she went on before 30 years old. 40 qtrs is 10 years of work history.

I am so sorry for your Mom. I have a niece that has MS as a young adult. She is coping pretty well so far. eta: she is a dental hygienist and works full time but they have no children.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
If they are receiving SS benefits, then the SSN is probably stolen.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
A USC or legal resident has to work 40 quarters to be eligible for SS, and yet every time I see something brought up regarding allowing illegals to access SS, they always want to make it that THEY only have to work 6 years (or 24 quarters) to be eligible. The whole hispandering %$#@ stinks to high heaven.

I do think however, that's it's wrong to make those who are only here on a work visa pay into SS & Medicare, as unless they manage to convert the work visa to an immigrant visa they can never collect.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
A USC or legal resident has to work 40 quarters to be eligible for SS, and yet every time I see something brought up regarding allowing illegals to access SS, they always want to make it that THEY only have to work 6 years (or 24 quarters) to be eligible. The whole hispandering %$#@ stinks to high heaven.
Is this written as law?

My girlfriend's parents are first generation immigrants and they can't get SS until they work for over 30 years in this country first.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Is this written as law?

My girlfriend's parents are first generation immigrants and they can't get SS until they work for over 30 years in this country first.
Sorry but I call BS. It's 40 quarters worked (for both USC and legal residents) to be eligible for SS - go look it up on their website.

Quote:
Social Security eligibility is one of the top concerns that retirees have. How and when do you qualify for Social Security? To qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, you must work in a Social Security covered job for at least 10 years. More specifically, you must earn 40 credits (you can earn 4 credits per year) to qualify.
http://www.socialsecurityretirementi...cial-security/

Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM

182 posts, read 406,498 times
SSI, which is funded through SS payments, is something anchor babies qualify for at birth.