Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No truer words. We are being played by both parties. Sadly, the sheeple have been so thoroughly indoctrinated to adhere to party loyalty, they don’t even realize they are mere puppets on a string. In reality, there is no difference between the Democrat and Republican politicians, because neither side has our best interest at heart. Most are greedy narcissists, motivated by their insatiable thirst for power. Yet, their blind followers continue to rip each other apart like wild animals, because no matter what, they MUST defend “their side.”

Unless people wake up and see politicians for the crooks they are, our country is doomed. In my entire life, I have never witnessed such vitriolic partisan bickering as now. The puppeteers must be proud.
I have been saying this for the last 20 years or so and felt like the proverbial voice, crying in the wilderness. There is little consolation in being proved right.

That is why I vote the person and what they tell me they personally stand for and, not the party. It really doesn't accomplish much but it makes me feel like I am trying to do the right thing.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mideast View Post
There goes the neighborhood !!
I can tell you right now, I will not vote for any candidate for national office from Utah, period. Forget Romney or the other guy from Utah. Nada. End of subject for me.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
...Eleanora1....snipped...After searching around fruitlessly for a sale item for ten minutes I found two store clerks behind the register. They chattered away in Spanish and ignored me for awhile. When they finally noticed me, I asked them where I could locate a specific item. They shrugged. One of them "Yo no ablo Inglish," and went back to talking to her other idiot friend in a foreign language....snipped
I had something very similar happen to me one sunday afternoon in Macys in Central Fl. I called the next day to the store manager and to the corporate offices. This was within the last five years and I was surprised when I did not see those people in the store anymore, although, one went to work next door in Belk's.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I had something very similar happen to me one sunday afternoon in Macys in Central Fl. I called the next day to the store manager and to the corporate offices. This was within the last five years and I was surprised when I did not see those people in the store anymore, although, one went to work next door in Belk's.
sounds like a problem with poorly trained sales associates, and not illegal immigrants wouldn't you say?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnabout View Post
I, on the other hand, DO HAVE A PROBLEM with that.
There are thousands of legal citizens who would love to have a job. Unfortuneately, the pay scale has dropped, because of illegal workers.
So who wants to work for tacos, when you are used to eating steak ?
I don't shack-up with a dozen other brethren, just to make a life for myself....the list could go on, but we all have heard it before.
I have been a contractor for 30 some years, I refuse to hire illegals. Guess that's why I don't have a job

This bill was a GROSS MISTAKE, and I hope it gets overturned.
I can only hope that the higher cost of living we are experiencing, that appears to be escalating, will drive them back to their casa.
Your rhetoric seems to reflect your biased. Tacos for steak? Why such type of comment? Interesting.

Maybe the lower pay for some of those jobs is the real market price for that type of job instead of inflated wages to satisfy some people that want to keep a lifestyle they are used to. Well, there are time people need to be willing to get jobs for less pay when times are difficult. Ask folks from the great depression generation and WWII and ask them if they were not willing to work for peanuts if necessary to put food on the table. Remember in those days there was not food stamps and unemployment benefits. They took whatever was there. I do not see that attitude today. Yours may be the same also. If I was out of work today as you claim you are today, I would not be spending time in the computer debating. I would be cutting grass or going from home to home asking if they had any work I could do just as my dad did during hard time washing cars or whatever he could to do provide foor for our family.

You refuse to hire illegas, great! I do not have problem with that. To me your biases clouded your vision. Le me repeat what I wrote:
I have no problem if the jobs that need filled are jobs locals do not take.

Is this too difficult to comprehend? Also, where did I say to hire illegals? Nowhere, so your comment is irrelevant. Don't let your emotional bias cloud your reading skills.
There may be thousands of legal residents, fine. Do they all want to do the jobs legal immigrants may be willing to take? There is a percentage that will not. The remaining, have they applied for the jobs the state may need to keep their economy going?
Those are the angles we need to look at. Give me a breakdown of the jobs available in that state, how many are not filled by locals but are needed by contractors? If there are none, of course I would oppose any bill to bring any workers.
You do not have job? Sorry to hear that. I am not sure but you may hot live in that state. If you were I would ask you if you had called the state to ask them what types of jobs they want workers to come and do. From there I wonder if you said I take that job picking tomatoes let us say. I very much doubt you would as many out there do. Many Americans do want to work but in some types of jobs they do not put their money where their mouth is, take care.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If President Obama does not instruct Eric Holder to sue the state of Utah, their agenda will be crystal clear. How can they sue Arizona for usurping federal law, while ignoring such blatant violations as those included in this law? Given that immigration falls under the purview of the federal government, how can a state legalize illegal aliens, or establish a partnership with Mexico or any other country? Utah has seriously overstepped their bounds.
I agree with you. All I am saying that it is not a given. You probably have seen how some laws seem so clear and somehow judges end up giving some surprising decision, take care.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:39 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Exactly on the whole issue of illagals period, plus all the things that both sides do not even give a second thought too, they both make me sick, and i won't stick up for either party on this issue, they both get a F grade.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM

346 posts, read 709,227 times
My two cents on this:

Utah, one of the reddest of the red states, just passed a "compromise" of laws. The Republicans wanted enforcement, the Democrats wanted amnesty. In order to pass the laws through the legislature, both sides wanted their bills included. Now, my question is, did Gov. Herbert allow this to happen because he KNEW that the guest-worker program would eventually fail because it is blatantly unconstitutional and SOMEBODY would sue? And as a result you'd still have the enforcement-only side still allowed - or parts of it, if it is also challenged.

This is probably really far-fetched thinking, but I wonder if he did this because this was the only way to pass the enforcement law, and in the process he assumed the "guest-worker" law would become null?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM

346 posts, read 709,227 times
One thing I noticed:
"Immigrant" rights groups are going to sue the enforcement law, but no word yet on if anybody is going to sue the "Guest-worker" law. The Guest-worker law better be challenged in court, or else I will be outraged that enforcement can be "unconstitutional" yet blatant disrespect of our federal immigration laws is okay and unchallenged.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
My two cents on this:

Utah, one of the reddest of the red states, just passed a "compromise" of laws. The Republicans wanted enforcement, the Democrats wanted amnesty. In order to pass the laws through the legislature, both sides wanted their bills included. Now, my question is, did Gov. Herbert allow this to happen because he KNEW that the guest-worker program would eventually fail because it is blatantly unconstitutional and SOMEBODY would sue? And as a result you'd still have the enforcement-only side still allowed - or parts of it, if it is also challenged.

This is probably really far-fetched thinking, but I wonder if he did this because this was the only way to pass the enforcement law, and in the process he assumed the "guest-worker" law would become null?
I would have been happy to see a compromise law. That's not what this is panning out to be.

Here's much much more than 2 cents...
Quote:
Impose fines of up to $2,500 on those who apply for the permit.
Punish those who comply with the law?
That's slime if I ever heard it. Why can't they be satisfied taxing them in line with the rest of us so they genuinely pay their way here? Isn't that the real meat and potatoes of the anti- illegal argument? Or is this just yet another American chapter of pin the tail on the scapegoat?

If I were an illegal immigrant I'd guess this were Utah's way of herding me so I'd be an easier target to have even more malevolence inflicted upon myself. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... Republicans as the new permit Raj shaking people down for exorbitant toilet tolls? Someone please define Republican before things get any uglier than they already are.

I think this is Utah's way of pushing the envelope to let Federal authority know (just like az, tx, etc) that they've fallen down on the job. And they have. For decades. This exercise in folly is punctuating how the Federal government has both hindered states rights and neglected their true mission of reasonably resolving multiple jurisdictional issues. I'm glad this debate is public. I'm glad they're looking hard at how bass-ackwards this truly is. The more hair brained the remedies suggested the more they prove the point. I haven't laughed this hard since George Carlin rest his soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration