Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I always carry my ID...all 3 of them...no matter what. I'd hate to get in a very bad car accident for example and not be able to be ID'd. Might sound silly but I've seen it happen before.

And if law enforcement wants to look at them, go ahead.
Me too.

I even carry my insurance card with me at all times.

Everyone carries some sort of ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
OK so if a US police officer asked you for your legal documents...what are you going to show them?

Whats a "legal Document"?
Any real american citizen has many ways to prove he is legal. We are in the system. Even if I leave my DL at home the cop can pull up a picture of me in seconds.....Illegals simply have no history of being here and can be easily caught.Even with a SS number there is information that ONLY the person who has that number can answer......We need biometric IDs and that would solve the issue once and for all. No one will have to carry around "papers" as the pro illegals want to make us believe.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've traveled in Mexico and they do the same. Go through some of their highway checkpoints some time, you are expected to abide by their laws.
This is really over-simplifying checkpoints in Mexico. The most common checkpoints are run by the military - They search primarily for drugs going north, and weapons going south. Other agencies (the Mexican equivalent of the DEA is what I've mostly seen) may sometimes set up at the casetas (toll-booths on the more developed highways), but it uncommon.

The important thing to remember is only the Federales have control of the highways - If you see any other markings on vehicles or officers set up on the highway, be careful...

The travel document for foreigners to go to the interior of Mexico (I have to have one myself, despite my marriage) is called an "FMT". Under 7 days, it is free of charge, with a passport it will generally be valid for 180 days, at a cost of about $22 USD. During some time in your trip, you visit any of the major banks, and have them stamp the FMT that you have paid.

If you have an expired FMT you can be fined, or they may not let you get another. They will also refuse to reissue an FMT immediately after having one returned much of the time (you can use another office if possible, or wait until the next day). In ALL of my travels in Mexico, I have never been asked for my FMT outside the immigration offices.

The military doesn't check for them. Federales don't check for them, or any municipal police. Only the IMN agency offices are involved in enforcing their use.

An interesting aside is that my wife needed one on our last trip - The vehicle was registered in her name in the U.S., and they wanted an FMT to line up with the vehicle permit. She had to fill one out as her Legal Permanent Resident status here, and was not treated as a Mexican citizen for the purpose of the form.

Are you saying you are willing to let someone have free range of the United States for six months by paying for a $22 permit?...

Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The police will ask you on the street for your legal documents and if you don't have them they will send you on a plane back to your country.

Thats not racist.
Or they give them temporary but legal travel documents and put them on a train to France

Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Or they give them temporary but legal travel documents and put them on a train to France
Nope, France wised up when all those illegals started flooding Italy and Italy was giving them a pass to allow them to travel anywhere in the EU....

France halted all migrant trains coming across their border from Italy.

Follow Italy's example? We have been the world's leader in allowing illegal aliens into America.....

Sounds more like they are following our example.... At least Italy ships them out to other EU countries, America doesn't have that luxury....

Old 05-16-2011, 04:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Is the reduction in illegal aliens worth the intrusion? I don't think so. But I do support unannounced workplace raids, combined with fines on the employers who facilitate illegal immigration.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Nope, France wised up when all those illegals started flooding Italy and Italy was giving them a pass to allow them to travel anywhere in the EU....

France halted all migrant trains coming across their border from Italy.

Follow Italy's example? We have been the world's leader in allowing illegal aliens into America.....

Sounds more like they are following our example.... At least Italy ships them out to other EU countries, America doesn't have that luxury....
Not much of a competition really. What other country could allow them into America?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Not much of a competition really. What other country could allow them into America?
LOL true...but Canada is right next door and they aren't being invaded like we are....are they?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:31 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Is the reduction in illegal aliens worth the intrusion? I don't think so. But I do support unannounced workplace raids, combined with fines on the employers who facilitate illegal immigration.
I say it is.

Consider the cost to America, in education, medical fees, car insurance rates, crime rates, changing every bloomin' thing to Spanish, interpreters, etc.

How can we afford the intrusion?
How about, how can we not?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If it saves many lives and billions of dollars, then why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration