Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

Linked from another thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Linked from another thread
I loved hearing about this. Its about time a politician was willing to stand up and address this issue.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I loved hearing about this. Its about time a politician was willing to stand up and address this issue.
Its crazy he has been here 20 + years knows English but refuse to speak it & on top of that against immigration laws.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM

192 posts, read 115,588 times
Let's say you moved to Norway. Legally, of course. You say you'd learn Norwegian, yes? Great. You got pretty good at speaking Norwegian. Let's say you got called to testify in a Norwegian court because you happened to happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you witnessed a bank robbery or some other crime. You could be tried for perjury if you give false testimony. Would you consider asking the court for an interpreter through whom you'd give your testimony, or would you roll with your knowledge of Norwegian?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Let's say you moved to Norway. Legally, of course. You say you'd learn Norwegian, yes? Great. You got pretty good at speaking Norwegian. Let's say you got called to testify in a Norwegian court because you happened to happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you witnessed a bank robbery or some other crime. You could be tried for perjury if you give false testimony. Would you consider asking the court for an interpreter through whom you'd give your testimony, or would you roll with your knowledge of Norwegian?
I would do just like I did while living in the UK. I learned to speak, read and write Geordie, and when I was involved in a legal case that is the language I used. Judges tend to be pretty understanding of these things. My sister-in-law, a professor of deaf studies at a university in Lancashire, is profoundly deaf, which means if she wears hearing aids she can hear pretty good. She can also speak fairly well, even though you have to listen well to fully understand. When she was in court she did not use an interpreter. She spoke for herself. My brother-in-law, on the other hand, who is totally deaf and relies on using BSL, would use an interpreter because he cannot speak words in ANY language.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
"Judges tend to be pretty understanding of these things"? Some are, some aren't. But I don't see why you'd take a chance in court if you weren't confident in your English skills.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
"Judges tend to be pretty understanding of these things"? Some are, some aren't. But I don't see why you'd take a chance in court if you weren't confident in your English skills.
He came to court with an agenda.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post

Did you see the video?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
Quote:
Someone testifying to a congress with an agenda? The horror!

I mean, that's kind of the whole point. Imagine - being more comfortable speaking in your native dialect when testifying. Such a great offense. You are, of course, simply assuming that he's doing it to prove some sort of point. It seems to me like the dude is clearly nervous.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:53 AM

403 posts, read 334,093 times
Quote:

Did you see the video?
Yeah, the guy is clearly nervous, especially when the Congressman started getting angry and questioning him. I would certainly revert to speaking my native language if faced with a similar situation. It's not an unreasonable thing for someone to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration