Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And as was pointed out in here already we already have SS cards and DL's to identify us so what is the difference if we have an enhanced I.D. card that includes those things plus perhaps some biometrics that possitvely identifies us and removes any fraud? Me thinks you object to e-verify and or a National I.D. for the reasons that most defenders of illegal alien people do.
lol

A national ID would not make us safer. In fact, it would probably do the opposite. This idea that biometrics "removes any fraud" is a fantasy.

Recommended reading:

A National ID Card Wouldn't Make Us Safer

Bruce Schneier is one of the leading security experts in the country. He's written extensively on why national ID programs are a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
blacknight04,

I have met and I respect Representative Barletta - that is quoted in that article. I have to presume that he has good reasons for his opposition to that bill.

However; I do think that our nation needs this legislation. I also think that our nation needs to enforce the legislation - if it is signed into law. I do not foresee White House cooperation with E-Verify.
I have also met Barletta he is a friend of my brothers. He is a pretty straight up kind of guy.
The question I ask about any bill is what is attached to it? What pork, what loopholes what additional legeslation?

Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have also met Barletta he is a friend of my brothers. He is a pretty straight up kind of guy.
The question I ask about any bill is what is attached to it? What pork, what loopholes what additional legeslation?

Perhaps I was wrong or Representative Barletta changed his mind? Maybe they tweaked the legislation and now he supports it? I was looking at one web site that asked us to contact our representatives that are holding out and Representative Barletta’s name was not on the list.
Rep. Barletta does have one of the best voting records for legal American workers.

The time that I had talked to him I was very impressed and came away feeling that he really cared about his constituents. He answered my questions and did not hold back. I felt that he was sincere and honest.

I believe the E-verify bill will move out of committee on Wednesday - if everything goes according to plan.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That is what they want you to think it is. The reality is that it's just another stealth national i.d bill.
Nothing worng with that.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Why is the teaparty opposing this law??

Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,154,316 times
The tea party and republicans who oppose this are undoubtedly, pro-rich corporate neo-cons. They have money, not the hearts and minds, not this time anyway. They will loose.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
The tea party and republicans who oppose this are undoubtedly, pro-rich corporate neo-cons. They have money, not the hearts and minds, not this time anyway. They will loose.
Goes to show you that many teapartiers and Republicans want to go after the immigrants but not their employers.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Goes to show you that many teapartiers and Republicans want to go after the immigrants but not their employers.
This Wednesday this new legislation could come out of committee : The Legal Workforce Act (H.R. 2885) - http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-2885

It looks complicated to me. There are exceptions and different timeframes for different employers. I would have made the bill very simple -I'm simple. However; it is a start and I hope that it passes. It looks like there are penalties for employers and provisions against fraud.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
i am a tea party supporter, and i support e verify-so that article doesn't speak for me or, i suspect, many other tea party supporters.

we need a system in place that protects AMERICAN workers. pat buchanan had a very good article that i hope people take the time (a few minutes) to read.

Whose Country Is It, Anyway? - Page 1 - Pat Buchanan - Townhall Conservative

this is just a small part:

Our $6 trillion in trade deficits in the Bush decade stimulated economies all over the world, just not our own. Indeed, the most successful economies of the last decade were China and Germany. Not coincidentally, they were the world's two largest exporting countries.

There are time-honored ways that nations have turned around such situations. What prevents us from adopting them? An ignorance of our own history, the immense investment of our transnational corporations in the new global arrangement, and the opposition of a World Trade Organization- to which we have surrendered our national sovereignty.

A second reason why the median income of American families is back to 1996 levels and sinking is mass immigration, legal and illegal.

According to analyst Ed Rubenstein of VDARE.com, the United States, despite an unemployment rate above 9 percent, imports 100,000 immigrant workers every single month. Numbers USA contends that 125,000 foreign workers are brought in every month.

Thus, well over a million workers are added annually to our labor force when 14 million Americans are looking for work.

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-20-2011 at 05:03 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
And I thought the Tea Party folks wanted to weed out all the illegals from American jobs. Strange...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration