Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So is this really about "Mexican/Latino culture", or is it about "illegals"?

BTW, legal or illegal, I'll take Mexican culture over redneck "culture" any day.... they certainly haven't been as big a pain in the a$$ in this country, and at least Mexican folks are willing to do whatever it takes to get a job (unlike certain "natives" who feel "entitled").

LOL how funny. Go educate yourself about the breakdown on the Welfare rolls before talking nonsense.

PS: I guess you are one of those who think that those here illegally who do whatever it takes to get a job, i.e work under the table while your 5 children are getting a free education and most often than not are also getting some type of assistance from the government (which is funded by taxpayers like me and millions of others), or even working with a Social Security Number that is either fake, stolen from a regular Jane/Joe, a child or even a DEAD person, driving without a license and insurance (because you know, they have to do whatever it takes to get to work!) are just "minor" things...They are no big deal, right?!?!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
My grandmother came to this country legally to escape real oppression. As in they were trying to kill her oppression not as in she was poor because she had five kids before she had graduated from high school faux self inflicted oppression. My grandmother did not expect locals to learn Yiddish because she showed up. My grandmother did not expect locals to pay her hospital bills, nor did she expect them provide her with a free college degree. She did not wave flags from Hungary or whine that Americans are lazy and stupid. She knew that if she could not make it here financially she could be asked to leave until she was granted citizenship. She was a lot of things. But mostly she was happy to be here and grateful to the American public for letting her stay she, unlike the relatives she left behind, was not turned to ashes in a concentration camp.

Let's not confuse her with those who refuse to follow in her footsteps.

I think the OP is a highly loaded question and has an element of baiting in it unworthy of this forum. The only thing I dislike about current Mexican and Latin American culture is the apparent widespread believe that this region's underclass should be entitled to move here without permission and against the express will of the American people. Worse, that this underclass is somehow entitled to welfare benefits from the American public. Even worse that opposition to their desire to treat us as nothing more than slave like welfare providers for their lazy, stupid dysfunctional underclass stems not from disgust with the notion of Americans as Latin America's default safety net but because we are nothing but a bunch of brown people haters.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:42 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
I like Mexican food. What annoys me slightly is a lot of them take the initiative to speak in spanish everytime one comes into contact with someone else they percieve as Mexican, not cool in a business environment when in the company of non Mexicans or non latinos; that is unless the person doesn't know English. I see this a lot in businesses where there is an abundance of them like at the grocery store I go to often. I wouldn't mind it so much if they spoke in English half of the time. The Nigerian students at my school speak English with each other and sometimes in Yoruba or w/e. With the Mexicans at the food market its spanish like 95% of the time with talking to each other. Me being obviously black and all, the cashier come at me with English, though I could've been a spanish speaking Dominican for all she knows. As soon as another Mexican/latinos appears, the spanish starts flying by either the customer or the cashier taking the initiative. I be thinking sometimes '' Jumping to the conclusion the person knows spanish ah?'' I knew a biracial girl who doesn't look the slight bit Black American(though she is half) told me Mexicans came at her with spanish(she looks stereotypically latina) and had to tell them '' No hablo espanol''.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-17-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 PM

706 posts, read 940,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So is this really about "Mexican/Latino culture", or is it about "illegals"?

BTW, legal or illegal, I'll take Mexican culture over redneck "culture" any day.... they certainly haven't been as big a pain in the a$$ in this country, and at least Mexican folks are willing to do whatever it takes to get a job (unlike certain "natives" who feel "entitled").

Illegals, just in case you missed the titile of the forum.

redneck culture ?

"they certainly haven't been as big a pain in the a$$ in this country"

Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 PM

706 posts, read 940,222 times
Has anybody, to this point, defined American culture ? Or mexican culture ? Or the differences ?

And , can anyone explain why either"culture" should be forced upon a country by politicians ?

BL

Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Nope i do not hate the culture or the race. But i do hate their ignorance. Sorry but it is TRUE, do not tell me it isn't. One of our rental properties the tenants are having problems with this one dang family on the whole freaking block. They are new so i don't know them.
Well i for one as well as my tenants do feel that everyone on the Street, does not want to listen to Mexican music blasted with speakers day in and day out. Sometimes all day long Until the wee hours. This has been a problem, and i am getting irritated because my tenants are good people.

There are at least 15-16 people living in the home, meaning they own i kid you not around 9 cars meaning they also park their cars in front of my renters home. This is a good area, do not know what in the hell has happened.

They are just annoying i went to check things out, they are extremely loud, on a dailsy basic, party into the wee mornings, do not forget most people lucky enough to still have a job, have got to get up early. Hard to do when music is being blasted sorry but this would send anyone nuts. That is what i hate, the ignorance, and being so disrespectful to the neighbors in the area.
What i despise is how they think that they can just take a neighboorhood over. And no not all of them act this way, but the ones that do, or anyone for that matter that do, are just plain disrespectul people.

Their dogs are not on leashes, and they own a pit, they let their dogs roam free, which a lot of the neighbors are having a problem with. All it really is common sense, which for the life me they seem to leave someplace else.

Make it want ever you want to make it about, i make it about common sense and decency. And being respectful to those around you. And this could be about any culture?

Last edited by california-jewel; 09-18-2011 at 12:06 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Methinks you have it backwards...

Riddle me this.
Okay

Quote:
Do Americans live in other countries disobeying their laws?
I imagine it happens a little bit. Hence "ugly American"

Quote:
Do Americans live in other countries and fly the American flag above the local national flag?
ABOVE the local national flag? I wouldn't think so. But in America I don't see too many people doing that with our flag, so...

Quote:
Are Americans in foreign countries pandered to like Spanish/latino people are here in America?
It happens in many countries. "Foreigners" (who are often American or British) are pandered to in many countries. I.E. in China they have hospitals catering to foreigners.

Quote:
How much money do foreign governments spend on the Americans living in their country?
Since poor Americans stay in the USA, the money is spent differently - I.E. to make things nice or attractive to allow foreign investment

Quote:
How many foreign countries print their documents in two languages?
Israel: Hebrew and Arabic
Finland: Finnish and Swedish
Hong Kong: Chinese and English
India: Hindi and English
Canada: English and French
(And there are probably more)

And don't forget "English as a foreign language" where many documents are printed in English for the benefit of foreigners. It's common for things to be printed in foreign languages for the benefit of foreigners.

Quote:
Do Americans protest and scream their hatred for the local country?
Then again most illegals aren't that political. They can't vote, and can't really afford to be.

Quote:
How many foreign countries phones when answered say

Press 1 for <pick_your_local_language>

Press 2 for English

?????????
Golly gee, I HOPE most countries have that. (And I am certain many do)

Quote:
As someone else said, I have nothing against Mexicans, just wish they would stop trying to turn America into the slum they came from.
And the questions above have nothing to do with poverty.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:12 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Many Mexicans who immigrate to the U.S. come from peasant backgrounds, so they are the rednecks of Mexico.

Many illegals who come aren't very well educated at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Illegals, just in case you missed the titile of the forum.

redneck culture ?

"they certainly haven't been as big a pain in the a$$ in this country"

Old 09-18-2011, 12:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I don't despise any culture. What Mexicans do on their own time, own property and own neighborhoods is their business, not mine. I don't see anything about their culture that requires me to stick my nose in their business so long as they aren't breaking any laws. They can speak all the Spanish they want and hang up all the Mexican flags they can find....makes me not a damn bit of difference.

Why everyone doesn't feel this way goes over my head.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Nope..

There are many bad things about the Latino culture as a whole. .
You don't despise the culture, just feel that as a whole, it is "bad".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration