Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:29 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Newt is right. You can't round up every illegal and deport them. So which ones would you deport. First criminals. Second, those with no family ties, before they make anchor babies. Third, those not paying taxes. Fourth, those not working and on the public dole.
Even if you do deport the illegals the kids can stay as Americans. So you are just breaking up a family and turning the kids against their country. Newt just secured a lot of the Latino vote.
Yes, their U.S. born kids "can" remain here but it would be the parents separating themselves from their kids by leaving without them instead. Their kids can go back to their homelands with them and it would be their choice so put the "separating" part where it belongs.....on the parents. Many of these kids would have dual citizenship from their parent's nationality also.

Securing the Latino vote? Does it take treating their illegal amigos like they are special and putting them above our laws to do that? Hmm. Read that very carefully and what does that say about Latinos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Paul was the only candidate who did not threaten to trade the Constitution for a police state. All the others oped for police state with wire taps and cameras on law-abiding citizen.

Paul correctly quoted Franklin: Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
"Temporary" safety? Where is this proposal of wire taps and cameras on "law abiding" citizens? By the way, without security there IS no liberty.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You will be surprised at how much undocumented people have lived in the dark for decades. In NYC, there are hundred-thousands or maybe millions of undocumented people who came in the 80s or 70s. Many were brought over by their parents with traveling visas to not returning to their birth place. They grow up with no way of becoming legal residents to having US born children.

Breaking up families in situations like this, is inhumane in my opinion.
"Undocumented people"? There is no breaking up of families. They can all go back to their homelands together. How about some humaness for American citizens who have had their jobs and taxes stolen from "illegal aliens"? The only humane thing to do for American citizens is to deport illegal aliens as our laws demand.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Good read about Gingrich and his amnesty proposal:

For Newt Gingrich, it seems that amnesty is an every-25 year “humanitarian” project.

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - entry Adios Newt There s nothing humanitarian about Gingrich amnesty proposal

Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I understand what you're saying. Yes, I find this as well. Same thing with the right. While Obama has some policies that are centrist, I believe his rhetoric is very left and thus has not enjoyed this same popularity. Some of these centrist policies might account for why his approval numbers are higher than one would think given the current state of the economy.

It's a tough call because I don't think a far right or far left President is good for our country but at the same time, I want to know the principles that guide my President. Newt is taking a pretty centrist viewpoint on illegals here and I don't see it helping him in the long run but I do appreciate that he made me actually look at my own position. Nothing wrong with that, even if I ultimately do not agree with him on this.
seriously, i have to wonder if newt is even paying any attention to what conservatives / republicans want.

after perry's fiasco on illegal immigration, you would have thought newt would have learned something.

evidently not.

simply put, i don't want a leader who chooses to ignore what his party wants during the nomination process.

that's not a good sign.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
seriously, i have to wonder if newt is even paying any attention to what conservatives / republicans want.

after perry's fiasco on illegal immigration, you would have thought newt would have learned something.

evidently not.

simply put, i don't want a leader who chooses to ignore what his party wants during the nomination process.

that's not a good sign.
Right. If he wants to oppose the Republican's view on illegal immigration then let him run as an Independent or become a Democrat. That goes for a few of the other Republican candidates who are spouting this amnesty nonsense also. I want a good, conservative, rule of law candidate.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:24 PM

22 posts, read 14,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Right. If he wants to oppose the Republican's view on illegal immigration then let him run as an Independent or become a Democrat. That goes for a few of the other Republican candidates who are spouting this amnesty nonsense also. I want a good, conservative, rule of law candidate.
I think religion has something to do behind Newt's motives. When he was listing the qualifications for illegals that allowed to stay here he said, "...and if they go to church". He himself is a Roman Catholic and so are the majority of the illegals from Mexico. Heck even the Irish illegals (only about 50,000 last I heard) up in the north east are Catholic. I think there is a religious agenda here. His supporters most likely include the Catholic church and they obviously don't want a large number of their members deported.

As an Atheist I want to see the border controlled. We'll never win in getting this country to move forward and away from religion if we keep having an influx of Christian people from elsewhere.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, I agree, we definitely have the ability to secure them. Sadly, too many in positions of power profit from cheap labor and illicit drugs. Naturally, secure borders would impede the flow of both.
The republicans want the cheap labor, the democrats want the future democrat voters and the drugs. No wonder we haven't secured the borders.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The republicans want the cheap labor, the democrats want the future democrat voters and the drugs. No wonder we haven't secured the borders.
I agree, however why do so many think that it is only the rich Republicans who want the cheap labor? There are many rich Democrats also. If anyone thinks that they aren't using the cheap, illegal labor also then they aren't dealing in reality.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
The illegals can vote for Gingrich, I sure will not be doing so, he may be worse than Obama and Bush on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration