Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:22 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,310,577 times

Advertisements

McCain: Hispanic vote 'up for grabs' - Yahoo! News

Why does the "Hispanic vote" in the upcoming Presidential Election depend upon what the candidates approaches to illegal immigration and immigration laws are?

Why is it that the media and politicians openly tie the Hispanic vote to illegal immigration?

Aren't they admitting that the illegal immigration debate is closely tied to Hispanics? Isn't that asking for special-treatment? I mean, on the part of those who are hoping that a politician will save Hispanic illegal immigrants and "make them legal?"

What is the goal of these so-called Hispanic voters who are seeking to put someone in the Presidential office that will cater to illegal immigrants?

It all seems like asking for special consideration. I can't imagine how this view, these requests and the push for a President that will specifically cater to a specific group is OK. Yet, the media and politicians keep describing how Hispanics will only vote for a candidate IF immigration is made easier for other Hispanics.

That's not wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM

From the article:

Quote:
More specifically, McCain said, GOP presidential candidates should find a way to address the status of illegal immigrants already in the country while finding a way to secure the border to deter others from crossing the border.

"It's a careful balance of addressing this issue, which I think the majority of Hispanics would appreciate. . . . We have to have empathy. We have to have concern. We have to have a plan," he said.
So, Hispanic voters are expecting Presidential candidates to assure them that illegal immigrants will be treated with special care and attention? Why? Hmm, why would this be?

What ELSE could it be that people like McCain are suggesting be done in order to get votes?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,551,179 times
Wow. Is it really believe that's the ONLY think Hispanic voters are concerned about?? So inaccurate!

There are actually a number of hispanic voters that resent NEW immigrants. Which Hispanics are you talking about? There are many types of Hispanics, and I assure you they do not all think the same way.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Wow. Is it really believe that's the ONLY think Hispanic voters are concerned about?? So inaccurate!

There are actually a number of hispanic voters that resent NEW immigrants. Which Hispanics are you talking about? There are many types of Hispanics, and I assure you they do not all think the same way.
Uhhhh ... I'm actually quoting the speakers in the article. Hence the reason why I put quotation marks around "Hispanic vote."

You actually proved my point that I was trying to make, thank you. The point is that it is very race-centered to make the Hispanic vote about illegal immigration. Yet, time and time again, I see it done.

Why would the Hispanic vote revolve around illegal immigration?

Can you answer that?

How is it that in 2011, in the United States of America, that we can boldly say that a certain group of people will only vote for someone if that candidate makes it easy for another group to remain in the country even if they are illegal? Doesn't it seem racist or race-centered for a group of people to want special treatment for another?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,551,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Uhhhh ... I'm actually quoting the speakers in the article. Hence the reason why I put quotation marks around "Hispanic vote."

You actually proved my point that I was trying to make, thank you. The point is that it is very race-centered to make the Hispanic vote about illegal immigration. Yet, time and time again, I see it done.

Why would the Hispanic vote revolve around illegal immigration?

Can you answer that?

How is it that in 2011, in the United States of America, that we can boldly say that a certain group of people will only vote for someone if that candidate makes it easy for another group to remain in the country even if they are illegal? Doesn't it seem racist or race-centered for a group of people to want special treatment for another?
Sorry! Completely missed the quotes and the link to the article.
I don't think think the Hispanic vote revolves around immigration. But, IF it did, it would proably be because this is a very important issue for them.

The sad truth is that MANY voters are single minded and don't comprehend how friggin complicated things are in this country, in this world, in life...Not just hispanics.

I think SOME Hispanics are no different than any other "group" of Americans that have a specific agenda, and can't (or won't) look at the whole picture.

There are white people who didn't vote for Obama for the simple reason that he was black. (I spoke to someone who admited this to me).

I am sure there are black people who vote for candidates based on what they think they can do for them.

Christians, vote for people who show some leanings toward their beliefs

Gay Americans want people in office who will stand up for what their needs and beliefs are.

As for "special treatment". Some don't see it as "special" treatment, but humane treatment. (Not going to get into a debate on immigration issues any time soon).

I happen to believe that there is more than one point of view on any given issue and sometimes neither side is right or wrong, they just have different perspectives.

Of course, my way of thinking does make it REALLY hard to decide on who to vote for sometimes!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,998 times
Quote:

Why does the "Hispanic vote" in the upcoming Presidential Election depend upon what the candidates approaches to illegal immigration and immigration laws are?

Why is it that the media and politicians openly tie the Hispanic vote to illegal immigration?

Aren't they admitting that the illegal immigration debate is closely tied to Hispanics? Isn't that asking for special-treatment? I mean, on the part of those who are hoping that a politician will save Hispanic illegal immigrants and "make them legal?"

What is the goal of these so-called Hispanic voters who are seeking to put someone in the Presidential office that will cater to illegal immigrants?

It all seems like asking for special consideration. I can't imagine how this view, these requests and the push for a President that will specifically cater to a specific group is OK. Yet, the media and politicians keep describing how Hispanics will only vote for a candidate IF immigration is made easier for other Hispanics.

That's not wrong?
Of course it is wrong. It is wrong on the part of Hispanics who put their ethnic group above our laws and think they should be rewarded for violating them and it is wrong on the part of the politicians who are pandering to them over illegal immigration rather than respecting the rule of law and putting the national interests first.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Sorry! Completely missed the quotes and the link to the article.
I don't think think the Hispanic vote revolves around immigration. But, IF it did, it would proably be because this is a very important issue for them.

The sad truth is that MANY voters are single minded and don't comprehend how friggin complicated things are in this country, in this world, in life...Not just hispanics.

I think SOME Hispanics are no different than any other "group" of Americans that have a specific agenda, and can't (or won't) look at the whole picture.

There are white people who didn't vote for Obama for the simple reason that he was black. (I spoke to someone who admited this to me).

I am sure there are black people who vote for candidates based on what they think they can do for them.

Christians, vote for people who show some leanings toward their beliefs

Gay Americans want people in office who will stand up for what their needs and beliefs are.

As for "special treatment". Some don't see it as "special" treatment, but humane treatment. (Not going to get into a debate on immigration issues any time soon).

I happen to believe that there is more than one point of view on any given issue and sometimes neither side is right or wrong, they just have different perspectives.

Of course, my way of thinking does make it REALLY hard to decide on who to vote for sometimes!
No, it has nothing to do with Hispanics wanting humane treatment for illegal aliens in general. There is nothing inhumane about sending them back to their homelands where they belong. You are implying then that Hispanics are the only group with compassion. No they have an ulterior motive. Where is their compassion for their fellow Americans of all ethnic groups? Those Hispanics who do support these illegals would be on the pro-enforcement side of the immigration issue instead if these illegals weren't mostly from their ethnic group. Let's have a little honesty here. Unfortunately, the majority of Hispanics are ethnically driven on this issue. Here is just one poll verifying my assertions.
Poll: Immigration splits Americans

Yes, there can be more than one point of view on any issue. However, the motivation for such views is what is important. The motivation for those Hispanics that are supporting these illegal aliens are doing so based on ethnic ties rather than the national interests.

The Hispanic vote may not revolve entirely around this issue but come on they have made it clear that it is mostly the main one for many of them. If it weren't then why are so many politicians falling all over themselves to pander to them over this issue?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,858,022 times
The article states the obvious... If you are hispanic in the US, it is natural to want more of your friends and relatives to immigrate here. For hispanic leaders, it means a larger voting block and more power....

Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,581,162 times
I know many Hispanics, and none support amnesty for illegal aliens. The pro-illegal movement is being spearheaded by power-hungry Hispanic politicians, who believe if they can have a majority Hispanic population, they are guaranteed political clout, and ultimately, control over every branch of our government. Groups like La Raza, support amnesty to exploit illegal aliens for the philanthropic contributions they receive on behalf of the "downtrodden" so-called immigrants. It's solely for personal gain. Sadly, they have brainwashed many Hispanic citizens into believing it is their ethnic obligation to support illegal immigration, if not, they are traitors. Of course, there are also millions of Hispanic citizens with illegal alien family and friends. So, naturally, they support amnesty.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again -- if the majority of illegals were Haitian, amnesty would not be on the table. In fact, illegal immigration would NEVER have been allowed to reach this level. . . not in a million years.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:29 PM

13,661 posts, read 20,804,778 times
Quote:

That's not wrong?
Of course its wrong. Its wrong anytime a group puts its self-interest above the interests of the nation as a whole.

And sadly, we all do it at one time or another. Or does the nation as a whole really care about Cuba as much as certain voting blocs in Florida and New Jersey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration