Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's great. Maybe there is less corruption in the Canadian government?
There is half my family is from Canada and they laugh at the US, with all the lobbyist PAC money and Koch brothers influencing elections, just as bad on the left. This country is run by Corp. America in case anyone doesn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Even if the hiring manager follows the process honestly and correctly, 100% of illegals will successfully get through E-verify by presenting a stolen driver's license and matching social security card. The current system in place has no way of detecting this.
Stolen drivers license and matching SS card? I don't think so. E-Verify would know if a DL had been reported stolen. We use e-Verify and it works. It is not so easy to fool the system because it contains legitimate SS numbers and will reject a false one. And heaven help you if that SS number belongs to a real citizen.

What's wrong with ferreting out people who don't belong here? We have 23 million citizens out of work. i will never understand the pro-illegal attitude. Maybe if those same folks started paying for their pet project (aka illegal aliens) then the rest of us could focus on taking care of ourselves and our families instead.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 AM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Stolen drivers license and matching SS card? I don't think so. E-Verify would know if a DL had been reported stolen. We use e-Verify and it works. It is not so easy to fool the system because it contains legitimate SS numbers and will reject a false one. And heaven help you if that SS number belongs to a real citizen.

What's wrong with ferreting out people who don't belong here? We have 23 million citizens out of work. i will never understand the pro-illegal attitude. Maybe if those same folks started paying for their pet project (aka illegal aliens) then the rest of us could focus on taking care of ourselves and our families instead.
E-verify is something like 96% accurate and does/will weed out illegal immigrants. Not sure why anyone would claim that it doesn't. If it didn't the whole program would be trashed but instead there are continued enhancements of it to make it even more accurate.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:10 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Actually, it appears on the surface to be working very well in Phoenix, Arizona! Just a few years ago it was getting to the point where you almost had to speak a little Spanish to go to McDonalds. God forbid they messed up your order because the window person could barely speak English beyond dollar and cents stuff. These days, it is rare to find someone who does not speak English in McDonalds. Waiters in restaurants are again mostly, obviously US citizens and even the bus staff is. Our kids get jobs at Subway, and Pizza Hut again because the illegals have been excluded by e-verify. It's not perfect and you see a lot of illegals with the subs for home construction and remodeling and, especially landscaping where payment is cash under the table. But it is working without question.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Actually, it appears on the surface to be working very well in Phoenix, Arizona! Just a few years ago it was getting to the point where you almost had to speak a little Spanish to go to McDonalds. God forbid they messed up your order because the window person could barely speak English beyond dollar and cents stuff. These days, it is rare to find someone who does not speak English in McDonalds. Waiters in restaurants are again mostly, obviously US citizens and even the bus staff is. Our kids get jobs at Subway, and Pizza Hut again because the illegals have been excluded by e-verify. It's not perfect and you see a lot of illegals with the subs for home construction and remodeling and, especially landscaping where payment is cash under the table. But it is working without question.
Yes, e-verify does work and I am noticing the same thing at these fast food places where there is a sign that says "we use e-verify". It is mostly whites and blacks working at these places now. I am sure illegals don't even bother to apply for jobs at these places as that sign is a deterrent.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,166 times
I'm still curious on how accurate E-verify is if someone uses forged documents with legitimate names and numbers. I'm one of those "personnel" people that you guys all seem to think are such crooks. Also, I read so much about how people are mad about companies paying people under the table. Well, as a professional in the field, let me say that I know of no legitimate companies that pay people under the table. For one thing, you can't claim any of it as business expenses on taxes, so you'd better be saving a bunch of money by not having them on the books.

It might be true that whatever industries there are that use the day labor guys off the street corner by the home improvement store are paying under the table, but for real businesses, we're not. Yet, I know that I have worked with many immigrants that it is impossible for them to have been here legally. As I explained to a group manager at a previous business, we were running the risk of being shut down for a number of days if INS ever came up with their buses and loaded up our line workers. He started to flip out and asked if we weren't doing document checks properly. I told him that was the problem. They all had documents, but it didn't mean they were real. (This was several years before E-verify) As I pointed out, why, if it was so tough for us to get a visa for a talented database programmer from somewhere in the Far East, did he think that it was easy for several hundred unskilled laborers born in Mexico and Central America to have received legal status just to be a temp for us? Obviously, they hadn't.

So, if E-verify is working, then how come there are so many illegals still on the job? I promise you that only a small percentage of them work in industries conducive to day laborers. The rest are showing up for work like the rest of us, showing documents, and getting paychecks with taxes withheld every couple of weeks, that is, on the taxes part, until someone explains to them about claiming they're exempt.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
E-verify is something like 96% accurate and does/will weed out illegal immigrants. Not sure why anyone would claim that it doesn't. If it didn't the whole program would be trashed but instead there are continued enhancements of it to make it even more accurate.
96 percent is MOST illegal aliens trying to scam the system and stopped and the rest WILL lay real low because it's too dangerous for them to raise a ruckus.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuck View Post
I'm still curious on how accurate E-verify is if someone uses forged documents with legitimate names and numbers. I'm one of those "personnel" people that you guys all seem to think are such crooks. Also, I read so much about how people are mad about companies paying people under the table. Well, as a professional in the field, let me say that I know of no legitimate companies that pay people under the table. For one thing, you can't claim any of it as business expenses on taxes, so you'd better be saving a bunch of money by not having them on the books.

It might be true that whatever industries there are that use the day labor guys off the street corner by the home improvement store are paying under the table, but for real businesses, we're not. Yet, I know that I have worked with many immigrants that it is impossible for them to have been here legally. As I explained to a group manager at a previous business, we were running the risk of being shut down for a number of days if INS ever came up with their buses and loaded up our line workers. He started to flip out and asked if we weren't doing document checks properly. I told him that was the problem. They all had documents, but it didn't mean they were real. (This was several years before E-verify) As I pointed out, why, if it was so tough for us to get a visa for a talented database programmer from somewhere in the Far East, did he think that it was easy for several hundred unskilled laborers born in Mexico and Central America to have received legal status just to be a temp for us? Obviously, they hadn't.

So, if E-verify is working, then how come there are so many illegals still on the job? I promise you that only a small percentage of them work in industries conducive to day laborers. The rest are showing up for work like the rest of us, showing documents, and getting paychecks with taxes withheld every couple of weeks, that is, on the taxes part, until someone explains to them about claiming they're exempt.
E-verify is around 96% accurate. If you want more details on how it catches unauthorized workers then google it. E-verify is not mandated and that is the problem.

Big companies probably don't pay under the table. They are given fake or stolen documents by the illegal immigrant employee and the company may or may not know that. I would think that it is small companies that pay under the table. Many times it is the HR dept. worker that knows they are hiring an illegal immigrant and many times they don't. They aren't all crooks.

Most here illegally aren't talented programmers. Most are the poor, uneducated and unskilled. We don't need them. They are a burden to our society.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuck View Post

One of the reasons is even if a company decides or is mandated to use E-Verify it is not allowed to go back and check the employees on the payroll prior to starting the E-Verify program.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
One of the reasons is even if a company decides or is mandated to use E-Verify it is not allowed to go back and check the employees on the payroll prior to starting the E-Verify program.
You're correct and I wonder why that is? Hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration