Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
If you enter the US on a B-1 (business/pleasure) visa you're typically (in my experience watching how my parents have filled the forms) given 6 months to stay in the country at max before you have to leave. I don't know how it works for those countries who participate in the visa waiver program. In any event you can go to a state DMV office and apply for a driver's license using the one from your own country (to show that you are capable of driving), and when you apply you present your I-94 (stamped and official proof of entry to the US) and the expiration date will be tied to the one on the I-94 - it's the same day that those 6 months expire. In other words if you were to overstay, you'd be losing the legality of your entry time as well as driving on an expired license

This may be wrong as I've only watched the procedure and not performed it firsthand, but that's what ive seen - I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm mistaken

As for a "legality check" if one is a permanent resident, a permanent resident card can be used to prove it. If one entered the US legally, you should have either an I-94, or I-94W.
It varies by state. All you have to do is sit for a few minutes at the DPS in Texas and you will see it's no problem at all for Mexicans and other immigrants to get a Texas drivers license. Where I live it seems there are many more citizens of Mexico getting licenses than US citizens. They do not have to be citizens to get a Texas drivers licenses but they have to show a passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 02:20 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
YOur opinion on the ITIN is more convoluted (it is not limited to a Foreign National "making money in the United States").

An ITIN is an establishment of trying to enter the U.S. tax system. There is every large possibilities of not being based on working illegally (I can think of one close case). What identifier can be used to list a dependent on tax forms when they don't have a Social Security number?

YOur response was surprising in that it didn't refer to introducing immigration documents into the New Mexico system. There hasn't been any replies about whether licenses need to be bound to visa expiry dates. Policy in this instance can't made as to whom is disqualified, it has to be based on whom qualifies.
An ITIN number is for anybody without an SS# to use to file taxes (to include businesses), whether it be from within or outside the US. I simply made it basic in understanding.

Why should an ITIN be any sort of qualifier for a NM DL? NM already has immigration document requirements, as do almost all other States to include those that use the SAVE to determine eligibility.

Why should we tie DL's to visa expiration, if they have a foreign DL they can legally drive here on it provided that it doesn't expire while here, at which point if it does expire they are denied the privilege until they do what needs to be done to attain a US DL or re-new their foreign DL (extension can be done through their consulate while here).

Everybody is disqualified by definition, only those that qualify are the ones allowed the privilege.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
New Mexico -

“The policy of giving driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants, which nearly every other state has repealed or opposed, leads to fraud, human trafficking, organized crime and significant security concerns,”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/us...tntemail1=yGov.

Susana Martinez wants to revoke the current law, allowing licenses to be issued to illegals. She is supported by 72% of voters on this issue.
No licenses for law breakers, the illegal aliens. Arrest and deportation when they're stopped for an infraction.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
No licenses for law breakers, the illegal aliens. Arrest and deportation when they're stopped for an infraction.
I'm with you there.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM

441 posts, read 886,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It varies by state. All you have to do is sit for a few minutes at the DPS in Texas and you will see it's no problem at all for Mexicans and other immigrants to get a Texas drivers license. Where I live it seems there are many more citizens of Mexico getting licenses than US citizens. They do not have to be citizens to get a Texas drivers licenses but they have to show a passport.
yes but if they're showing a passport then they'll be showing their entry documentation, and the time period on the driver's license is going to be tied to the expiry of the visa. you don't have to be a citizen of the US to have a driver's license of a state

Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
yes but if they're showing a passport then they'll be showing their entry documentation, and the time period on the driver's license is going to be tied to the expiry of the visa. you don't have to be a citizen of the US to have a driver's license of a state
No, but you do need to be considered a "resident" to have a DL from the state. If they are here on a non-immigrant visa they can drive with their DL from their home nation, unless it expires while they are here. There is no need to have a tax payer funded worker waste time on a non-immigrant DL for someone here who may already have a DL from their home country, waste of money.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 699 times
IF the state takes taxes from you, you should be able to get a driver's lic whether you are here legally or not. Illegals are employed and often get a legal identification number for tax puposes and those taxes help pay for roads. They also contribute to local economies. Give them a break!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica ventor View Post
IF the state takes taxes from you, you should be able to get a driver's lic whether you are here legally or not. Illegals are employed and often get a legal identification number for tax puposes and those taxes help pay for roads. They also contribute to local economies. Give them a break!
The state doesn't "take" taxes from someone purchasing goods, it's a cost to sell that the retailer passes on to the consumer. A DL is a privilege not a right, paying any kind of tax doesn't grant one the privilege that is denied to them. If illegals are employed through a business, they are employed by fraud, as illegals can not legally work and receive payroll checks; if they work for cash then they don't pay any taxes. The ITIN number is not an identity number, it is a taxation number, one of which they steal billions yearly from. The only taxes that pay for roads are fuel taxes, if they don't use fuel and in turn walk or ride a bicycle, then thy do not pay those taxes.

Give them a break? Why? They came here for their own economic gain, nothing more.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
There is an available process to get a DL for EVERYONE of age but the illegals decided to bypass that process.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Since illegal aliens don't even have a right to be here or to work here why should they be given driver's licenses? What does paying taxes have to do with it? Many of these taxes are being paid by using a fake or stolen SS number. Sorry, but they take more out of our economy than they put into it not to mention that they doing jobs that Americans need and are entitled to. How about illegal aliens give us a break and go back home where they belong? They have violated our immigration laws and have no right to be doing anything in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration