Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:57 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
You are blowing what I said WAY out of porportion, but that is typical of you to try that. You really tried to twist this, but we are talking about how there will be illegal immigrants who will benefit greatly from doing something ONLY because they know it is their only option.

Of course I would not "look" at a Marine and question what his responsibility was to decide if I can respect him or her or not.

Also, once again, YOU brought up nationality and even ethnicity (Filipino). I specificially said that just because you join the military does not mean you have some allegiance to a country; that allegiance is what all of these people have been said will be shown by illegal immigrants if they join the US military. I am saying that that is not true and that because of that, people who only look at joining the military as a way to get what THEY want will fool the government once again.

It goes back to the "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

Also, my brother was a "cook" (which you decided to mention in this conversation and incorrectly quoted it as if I had said it) in the Army.

The reality and point is that there are a lot of people who join the military simply because they have no other choice or they want to get something out of it under than serving the country. If an illegal immigrant is not only doing that and also getting more and more assistance from the government as a military member, isn't that a better deal for the illegal immigrant than the other way around? You know that there will be MANY illegal immigrants who DO get a cushy job in the military and ALSO get rewarded with tons of benefits and then citizenship.

My opinion about this is in relation to illegal immigrants. A legal resident and/or citizen of the United States should have the right to join the military unquestioned. No one can question what job they got or their allegiance, but when you have someone who is obviously joining the military just to receive their end of the deal, that makes you scratch your head. It just feels like they got a really good deal and everyone elsegets what? Another reward for illegal immigrants.
I so agree with what you have said. There are legal immigrants and even citzens of all ethnic makeups who join the military not out of some allegience or a wilingness to die for this country but for what they can get out of it. There is no way of knowing unfortunately what is in the hearts and minds of those people when they enlist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
You are blowing what I said WAY out of porportion, but that is typical of you to try that. You really tried to twist this, but we are talking about how there will be illegal immigrants who will benefit greatly from doing something ONLY because they know it is their only option.

Of course I would not "look" at a Marine and question what his responsibility was to decide if I can respect him or her or not.

Also, once again, YOU brought up nationality and even ethnicity (Filipino). I specificially said that just because you join the military does not mean you have some allegiance to a country; that allegiance is what all of these people have been said will be shown by illegal immigrants if they join the US military. I am saying that that is not true and that because of that, people who only look at joining the military as a way to get what THEY want will fool the government once again.

It goes back to the "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

Also, my brother was a "cook" (which you decided to mention in this conversation and incorrectly quoted it as if I had said it) in the Army.

The reality and point is that there are a lot of people who join the military simply because they have no other choice or they want to get something out of it under than serving the country. If an illegal immigrant is not only doing that and also getting more and more assistance from the government as a military member, isn't that a better deal for the illegal immigrant than the other way around? You know that there will be MANY illegal immigrants who DO get a cushy job in the military and ALSO get rewarded with tons of benefits and then citizenship.

My opinion about this is in relation to illegal immigrants. A legal resident and/or citizen of the United States should have the right to join the military unquestioned. No one can question what job they got or their allegiance, but when you have someone who is obviously joining the military just to receive their end of the deal, that makes you scratch your head. It just feels like they got a really good deal and everyone elsegets what? Another reward for illegal immigrants.
Thank YOur brother from me for his service...

YOu had commented about the occupations during military service, I merely showed what YOur perspective meant. Malamute also remarked about cooks in the military. Where is the reply to him?

I can't agree with you about not questioning the allegiance of U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents in the military. Security clearances require it all the time. On the other hand, expecting the desire to serve from pure patriotism is misguided.

I've brought up the example of Leland Davidson before. He was a Canadian born to American parents, but they never registered his birth outside the United States. Prior and during World War II he served aboard the USS Saratoga (CV-3), married a U.S. citizen, worked, had a family, paid taxes, probably even voted and received government benefits.

But he had only assumed he was a U.S. citizen, the status was never formalized as required. Ultimately he lived in the United States being truly an illegal alien. Just within the last year has the U.S. government processed his ability to naturalize from wartime service. It is not retroactive; He is effectively a U.S. citizen from the date on that document, despite all of the life and family he had here in the United States.

I don't know what he did aboard the 'Sara', other than seeing rosters identifying him as a Seaman 2nd Class prior to the U.S. entering the war. After he was in the news, I chatted with him on the phone for about 20 minutes. He'll have his 96th birthday soon, still very active and alert.

All the best Leland, Thank You for your service...

Was Obama correct (let's fully attribute this to him, of the same nature that other things here are attributed to him here) in allowing Mr. Davidson to become a U.S. citizen, seeing how he came from an illegal alien background?...

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM

791 posts, read 460,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Thank YOur brother from me for his service...

YOu had commented about the occupations during military service, I merely showed what YOur perspective meant. Malamute also remarked about cooks in the military. Where is the reply to him?

I can't agree with you about not questioning the allegiance of U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents in the military. Security clearances require it all the time. On the other hand, expecting the desire to serve from pure patriotism is misguided.

I've brought up the example of Leland Davidson before. He was a Canadian born to American parents, but they never registered his birth outside the United States. Prior and during World War II he served aboard the USS Saratoga (CV-3), married a U.S. citizen, worked, had a family, paid taxes, probably even voted and received government benefits.

But he had only assumed he was a U.S. citizen, the status was never formalized as required. Ultimately he lived in the United States being truly an illegal alien. Just within the last year has the U.S. government processed his ability to naturalize from wartime service. It is not retroactive; He is effectively a U.S. citizen from the date on that document, despite all of the life and family he had here in the United States.

I don't know what he did aboard the 'Sara', other than seeing rosters identifying him as a Seaman 2nd Class prior to the U.S. entering the war. After he was in the news, I chatted with him on the phone for about 20 minutes. He'll have his 96th birthday soon, still very active and alert.

All the best Leland, Thank You for your service...

Was Obama correct (let's fully attribute this to him, of the same nature that other things here are attributed to him here) in allowing Mr. Davidson to become a U.S. citizen, seeing how he came from an illegal alien background?...
After 70 years crime-free and without getting caught? Sure!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
After 70 years crime-free and without getting caught? Sure!
Does "getting caught" make a difference in YOur mind for the illegal act?...

I tend to believe Mr. Davidson was drawing Social Security benefits in recent years...

He even declared he was a U.S. citizen before he actually was, which normally means a lifetime ban from the United States, with no possible chance of a waiver...

Of course the irony of not placing Illegal Presence on him is interesting, how many times is it said here that it is criminal to be in the United States illegally?...

And that some here have a stance that once an illegal alien, any amount of time and punishment would not qualify someone to "legalize"...

Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Does "getting caught" make a difference in YOur mind for the illegal act?...

I tend to believe Mr. Davidson was drawing Social Security benefits in recent years...

He even declared he was a U.S. citizen before he actually was, which normally means a lifetime ban from the United States, with no possible chance of a waiver...

Of course the irony of not placing Illegal Presence on him is interesting, how many times is it said here that it is criminal to be in the United States illegally?...

And that some here have a stance that once an illegal alien, any amount of time and punishment would not qualify someone to "legalize"...
Someone with real power put in a good word for Davidson. I DO have a problem with fraud.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Someone with real power put in a good word for Davidson. I DO have a problem with fraud.
So illegal immigrants just need someone with "real power" to put in a good word to gain U.S. citizenship? The comparison to the current topic is excruciating. Illegal is illegal, why is there a difference in allowing Mr. Davidson a path when YOu won't allow it for others?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
So illegal immigrants just need someone with "real power" to put in a good word to gain U.S. citizenship? The comparison to the current topic is excruciating. Illegal is illegal, why is there a difference in allowing Mr. Davidson a path when YOu won't allow it for others?
In a word..? INTENT

Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
In a word..? INTENT
YOu're all over the map. First YOu say Mr. Davidson was crime-free for 70 years, now YOu say he is excused for ignorance of his status. He was an adult in stating he was a U.S. citizen prior to the Certificate of Citizenship, that shouldn't have any implications?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
YOu're all over the map. First YOu say Mr. Davidson was crime-free for 70 years, now YOu say he is excused for ignorance of his status. He was an adult in stating he was a U.S. citizen prior to the Certificate of Citizenship, that shouldn't have any implications?
If you think I'm going to sit here all night and play your 'Gotcha Game', you really need to think again. Adios, muchacho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration