Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
What's sick is that you have a problem with somebody getting a life-saving kidney transplant.

Remember: but for the grace of God go I.

Repeat to self.

They don't perform life saving kidney transplants in Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:44 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That someone has broken half a dozen American laws and continues to do so openly and unrepentently. What's sick is that Mexicans don't provide kidney tranplants for their own poor people. Instead they expect Americans to do that. How is that fair?

He needs to go back to Mexico and stay there. And Mexicans need to fix up their own damned country and stop making unreasonable demands on us.
What's really good is what happens to American citizens in Mexico who suffer illness or injury without ability to pay. They wheel you out and dump your dumb America butt on the sidewalk.

And why should a Mexican get preferred treatment just because Mexico shares a border with the US? Shouldn't a citizen of Uganda be afforded the same right to come to America for free transplant and after patient care?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
What I don't get is that he lost his job, yet his medical insurance is paid up for the next 18 months? How does that work?

Quote:
The decision came following a petition on Change.org that accumulated 130,000 signatures in support of Navarro's case.
So, do ya think everyone who signed that petition was an American citizen?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Shouldn't a citizen of Uganda be afforded the same right to come to America for free transplant and after patient care?
No, because he doesn't have a free pass to ride on the yellow bus.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
What's sick is that you have a problem with somebody getting a life-saving kidney transplant.

Remember: but for the grace of God go I.

Repeat to self.
No. What's sick is a person who has NO right to be here getting a transplant. There many Americans who are waiting and may die first.

Flip it around. If I was living illegally in Mexico and needed that sort of med care; I'd be kicked out of Mexico real fast.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:37 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What I don't get is that he lost his job, yet his medical insurance is paid up for the next 18 months? How does that work?

So, do ya think everyone who signed that petition was an American citizen?
Our COBRA law entitles him to temporarily continue his coverage at the group rate after losing his job; which tends to be quite expensive because he must now also pay the portion previously covered by the employer. But, if he fails to make timely payments, his insurance will be canceled. He no longer has a job. So, how can he possibly afford to continue the payments?

However, employees terminated through "gross misconduct" do not qualify for COBRA. I would like to know how a person discovered to be in this country illegally, who therefore lied on his employment application, and also used either a stolen or fake SSN, could possibly qualify. If that doesn't constitute gross misconduct, I don't know what does.

And, something else is fishy. They are now claiming his wife will be his donor. If true, then why does he need to be placed on the transplant waiting list? Also, since they already have the organ, I would think they could operate immediately. After all, the propaganda machine is describing him as "dying." Furthermore, if his wife is his donor, will his insurance also cover her surgery, hospitalization, and follow-up treatment? For her, the operation is elective, not required. Insurance companies generally don't cover elective procedures.

I have to wonder if the hospital would agree to perform the operation on a citizen under similar circumstances. If their policy requires the patient to have the means to pay for the expensive aftercare, then what, other than negative publicity from pro-illegals, caused the hospital to make an exception for this man?

After he recuperates from his operation, both he and his illegal alien wife should be deported. They can take the baby with them. And, pro-illegals can't whine about her "not knowing Mexico." At her age, she certainly doesn't know the USA either. But, most likely, he will be legalized. And, U.S. taxpayers will be forced to support him for the remainder of his life. Heaven forbid this transplant doesn't work, and he needs another.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Our COBRA law entitles him to temporarily continue his coverage at the group rate after losing his job; which tends to be quite expensive because he must now also pay the portion previously covered by the employer. But, if he fails to make timely payments, his insurance will be canceled. He no longer has a job. So, how can he possibly afford to continue the payments?

However, employees terminated through "gross misconduct" do not qualify for COBRA. I would like to know how a person discovered to be in this country illegally, who therefore lied on his employment application, and also used either a stolen or fake SSN, could possibly qualify. If that doesn't constitute gross misconduct, I don't know what does.

And, something else is fishy. They are now claiming his wife will be his donor. If true, then why does he need to be placed on the transplant waiting list? Also, since they already have the organ, I would think they could operate immediately. After all, the propaganda machine is describing him as "dying." Furthermore, if his wife is his donor, will his insurance also cover her surgery, hospitalization, and follow-up treatment? For her, the operation is elective, not required. Insurance companies generally don't cover elective procedures.

I have to wonder if the hospital would agree to perform the operation on a citizen under similar circumstances. If their policy requires the patient to have the means to pay for the expensive aftercare, then what, other than negative publicity from pro-illegals, caused the hospital to make an exception for this man?

After he recuperates from his operation, both he and his illegal alien wife should be deported. They can take the baby with them. And, pro-illegals can't whine about her "not knowing Mexico." At her age, she certainly doesn't know the USA either. But, most likely, he will be legalized. And, U.S. taxpayers will be forced to support him for the remainder of his life. Heaven forbid this transplant doesn't work, and he needs another.

The story he gave during the interveiw with CNN is that he had saved enough for the kidney transplant procedure and that his wife was going to be his donor. During that interview he also stated that he did not have money for the followup treatment, that his insurance would expire (I believe within 30 days) after his last date of employment.
The reason that he was rejected for the transplant was because he would have no means financially to continue treatment or dialysis after receiving the transplant, nor would he be eligible for Medicare. It was at that time that he was asked about returning to Mexico for continued treatment at which time he stated he would not receive free treatment from Mexico and could not afford the cost here nor there so going home to Mexico was not an option.

When he stated the above, I knew that his long term goal was to stay here in order to ensure that America took care of him, his illegal wife and anchor baby for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 02-10-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
[Benicar;22923572]Our COBRA law entitles him to temporarily continue his coverage at the group rate after losing his job; which tends to be quite expensive because he must now also pay the portion previously covered by the employer. But, if he fails to make timely payments, his insurance will be canceled. He no longer has a job. So, how can he possibly afford to continue the payments?
I know that COBRA kicks in, but he can stop paying the premiums one week after surgery and then what? Bill the taxpayer?

I agree, why didn't he go back to the top of the list if his wife was a confirmed match? Why would he even have to go on a "list" since the list is for people waiting for a donor.

I love the "miscommunication" bit. What was the problem? He doesn't speak, write, understand English? The interpreter wasn't very good at translating? I guess administration and everyone else better learn to speak Spanish so as to avoid "miscommunication" in the future. I bet the hospital saw it as an illegal getting priority over citizens and they didn't want to be burdened with the medical costs, which they will be at some point.

The whole story stinks. Too many things wrong with it.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
[PurpleRain_1;22925429].......nor would he be eligible for Medicare.
As an illegal, technically and legally he isn't eligible for anything if one went by the law. But, there is a new term "American but undocumented", so that makes illegals eligible for everything government has to offer them.

Now he has medical insurance for the next 18 months, yet to be paid.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:20 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I know that COBRA kicks in, but he can stop paying the premiums one week after surgery and then what? Bill the taxpayer?

I agree, why didn't he go back to the top of the list if his wife was a confirmed match? Why would he even have to go on a "list" since the list is for people waiting for a donor.

I love the "miscommunication" bit. What was the problem? He doesn't speak, write, understand English? The interpreter wasn't very good at translating? I guess administration and everyone else better learn to speak Spanish so as to avoid "miscommunication" in the future. I bet the hospital saw it as an illegal getting priority over citizens and they didn't want to be burdened with the medical costs, which they will be at some point.

The whole story stinks. Too many things wrong with it.
Bingo! They certainly can't force him to return to the hospital to "reverse" the procedure if he defaults on payments, can they? I agree. This entire story stinks to high heaven. It's just another example of the scams illegals use to fleece taxpayers. I wouldn't be surprised if as a "humanitarian" gesture, they offer to cover ALL costs. Wouldn't that make a nice heartwarming press release? Of course, they won't mention the fact that they'll actually pass the costs to taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration