Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:20 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times

Advertisements

From today's New York Times:

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/ny...1&ref=nyregion

Then she headed from her home in the Wyckoff Gardens housing project in Brooklyn to join some of the 26,000 young men and women hoping to land one of the 2,000 jobs as ushers, ticket sellers and food and drink vendors that will become available at the Barclays Center arena near Downtown Brooklyn that is to open in September.
Twenty-six thousand applicants for two thousand mediocre jobs in our largest city. Ask a single one of them if they are happy that President Hispander just added a million more Mexicans to compete with them for jobs.

I don't care what the polls say. This is madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
From today's New York Times:

Twenty-six thousand applicants for two thousand mediocre jobs in our largest city. Ask a single one of them if they are happy that President Hispander just added a million more Mexicans to compete with them for jobs.

I don't care what the polls say. This is madness.
Well to be honest it isn't only Mexicans here illegally that will benefit from these back door amnesties.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Well to be honest it isn't only Mexicans here illegally that will benefit from these back door amnesties.
But Obama did this mostly to please hispanics and get their votes. Of those most are Mexicans. I've read that more than 70% of the applicants under this program are expected to be Mexican. That's neither fair or diverse.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
But Obama did this mostly to please hispanics and get their votes. Of those most are Mexicans. I've read that more than 70% of the applicants under this program are expected to be Mexican. That's neither fair or diverse.
True dat.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM

475 posts, read 508,066 times
Obama will win again. Deal with it.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Obama will win again. Deal with it.
Probably. But despite his hispandering and not because of it. You may have the luxury of not caring about unemployment numbers but many Americans do not including him. I'm a liberal democrat who generally supports the president I helped elect. But it's frustrating as hell to see him literally brushing aside reasonable concerns about job numbers while openly fishing for votes from people based primarily on their race. If were hispanic I would be greatly offended he thought he could win my vote by encouraging people who shared my ethnicity to break multiple American laws.

He's sold out the unemployed and working class and helped prop up Mexico's dicatorship. That's poor public policy even if thinks it will win him votes.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Probably. But despite his hispandering and not because of it. You may have the luxury of not caring about unemployment numbers but many Americans do not including him. I'm a liberal democrat who generally supports the president I helped elect. But it's frustrating as hell to see him literally brushing aside reasonable concerns about job numbers while openly fishing for votes from people based primarily on their race. If were hispanic I would be greatly offended he thought he could win my vote by encouraging people who shared my ethnicity to break multiple American laws.

He's sold out the unemployed and working class and helped prop up Mexico's dicatorship. That's poor public policy even if thinks it will win him votes.
I am perplexed by your comments. You are aware that Hispanics vote Democrat at about a 70-30 rate, correct?

My wife is a conservative Hispanic (Mexican-American) and guess what? The Republicans have lost her and many other conservative Hispanics for a generation thanks to SB1070 and other legislation.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I am perplexed by your comments. You are aware that Hispanics vote Democrat at about a 70-30 rate, correct?

My wife is a conservative Hispanic (Mexican-American) and guess what? The Republicans have lost her and many other conservative Hispanics for a generation thanks to SB1070 and other legislation.
Why are you perplexed? We have a huge unemployment rate. Obama just handed out a million job permits to Mexican nationals for no other reason other than pander to hispanics. I'm sick and tired of hearing from many hispanics that unless we allow the guy from Mexico or Guatemala with a GED, a DUI and four kids to become an American citizen after violating our laws we're fundamentally bad people.

Do you think we have the right to control our borders? To decide who gets to work here and who does not? To put the needs of our citizens above the needs of Mexico's? Because I'm not sure that Obama and many hispanics think so. And that depresses the hell out of me. I don't think it's good public policy or even remotely fair to turn middle class Americans into the scapegoats for the largely self induced problems of Mexico's vast underclass.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Why are you perplexed? We have a huge unemployment rate. Obama just handed out a million job permits to Mexican nationals for no other reason other than pander to hispanics. I'm sick and tired of hearing from many hispanics that unless we allow the guy from Mexico or Guatemala with a GED, a DUI and four kids to become an American citizen after violating our laws we're fundamentally bad people.

Do you think we have the right to control our borders? To decide who gets to work here and who does not? To put the needs of our citizens above the needs of Mexico's? Because I'm not sure that Obama and many hispanics think so. And that depresses the hell out of me. I don't think it's good public policy or even remotely fair to turn middle class Americans into the scapegoats for the largely self induced problems of Mexico's vast underclass.
I wish just one Hispanic-American would explain to me (and be honest) why they are opposed to sb1070 since it is ludicrous to claim racial profiling when that is prohibited in the law itself. What does a Hispanic-American have to fear anyway if they are stopped under lawful contact since they would have a valid ID? Regardless of your ethnicity if you don't have it with you opportunity will be provided to obtain it. Rarely has a U.S. citizen ever been deported so just what is the problem?

Instead of just giving an honest and viable explanation they demonize the whole Republican party just because they are pro-American enough to want our borders respected and our immigration laws enforced. Does this make any sense at all? Not to me it doesn't.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
I wish just one Hispanic-American would explain to me (and be honest) why they are opposed to sb1070 since it is ludicrous to claim racial profiling when that is prohibited in the law itself. What does a Hispanic-American have to fear anyway if they are stopped under lawful contact since they would have a valid ID? Regardless of your ethnicity if you don't have it with you opportunity will be provided to obtain it. Rarely has a U.S. citizen ever been deported so just what is the problem?..
I am not a "Hispanic-American", I am "unhyphenated"...

Even if not physically deported, there have been thousands of adult U.S. citizens wrongly detained by ICE each year, sometimes for lengthy periods of time...

Quote:
...Instead of just giving an honest and viable explanation they demonize the whole Republican party just because they are pro-American enough to want our borders respected and our immigration laws enforced. Does this make any sense at all? Not to me it doesn't.
I rather like former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, so it isn't the whole Republican party. For a number of years I was a registered Republican, but feel that the party left me, rather than the other way around. The way I see the stupid stuff now, like debates on whether Obama is bowing to Calderon, or idiotic "Birther" claims, is definitely going to make me stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration