Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,463,383 times

Advertisements

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Flag Etiquette

When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag - of a state, community, society or Scout unit - the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 04:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,647,735 times
Quote:
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use.
Isn't this common in the US? They even sell that here, with the tags "Made in the US" on them.

I assume this is a continuance of the thread about the veteran and the Mexican flag?
Quote:
When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation.
It doesn't say anything about that the US flag should be above the other, so in accordance with the law, it is no real criminal action against the US if another flag is flown above the American. It's a criminal action against international law, though. But I have seen many American flags hanging above other countries flags, so...
Sure, I would be irritated about someone hanging another flag above my flag, but it's not a big deal, since most people have no idea about flag etiquette. I mean, I didn't before, and I've studies flags.

Why is this in immigration, by the way? It doesn't seem to have any ties to the subject?

Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 AM

436 posts, read 811,223 times
Maybe it is just a little reminder that the American flag, not the Mexican (or other flag) is to be at the pinnacle position when flown from the same flagpole on U. S. soil. Obviously, there are some people who "forget" this fact, and should be reminded of it by having officials REMOVE any flag flying over that of this nation.

The officials who allow this to happen should be removed from office.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Flag Etiquette

When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag - of a state, community, society or Scout unit - the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea.
Leads me to the question, since so many Americans obviously dont even know the laws in regards to flying our own flag, (just look at some of the posts on this forum alone) why would we expect others to know it. (Not excusing the bar owner, just making a point)

Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 AM

447 posts, read 798,703 times
here in albuquerque, a veteran who attends unm college, had seen the mexican flag flying by itself on a flagpole that was dedicated in the 70's for only the american flag, he asked school officials to do something about it, to take it down and replace it with the american flag as intended by the dedicators,yet nothing was done.
finally after trying the correct routes, he'd had enough and took it down himself, and was charged with misdemeanor vandalism charges.
he is a very nice guy, met him the other day, and he told me, that it wasn't the fact that it was the mexican flag, that if any other flag had been flying, he would have taken it down too.
now, he is facing charges in court, and has been called a racist because of his actions...
i say he is a patriot, who served our country, and more should be done to keep old glory waving proudly , no other flag should be flown alone, or above the american flag on u.s. soil.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,463,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
here in albuquerque, a veteran who attends unm college, had seen the mexican flag flying by itself on a flagpole that was dedicated in the 70's for only the american flag, he asked school officials to do something about it, to take it down and replace it with the american flag as intended by the dedicators,yet nothing was done.
finally after trying the correct routes, he'd had enough and took it down himself, and was charged with misdemeanor vandalism charges.
he is a very nice guy, met him the other day, and he told me, that it wasn't the fact that it was the mexican flag, that if any other flag had been flying, he would have taken it down too.
now, he is facing charges in court, and has been called a racist because of his actions...
i say he is a patriot, who served our country, and more should be done to keep old glory waving proudly , no other flag should be flown alone, or above the american flag on u.s. soil.
Give em an inch they'll take a mile. He is a Patriot where was his help.
People better wake up a little more in this country because they are not stopping.
I mean if they will protest over tortillas in their country. There going to most certainly continue to protest over the freebies here.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 PM

447 posts, read 798,703 times
amen to that

Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,957 times
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.
(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.
(g) The flag should be displayed during school days in or near every schoolhouse.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,957 times
In response to your question about items that are made to mimic Old Glory, they are not actually made with a flag...they are made to appear to represent the flag....yeh, I know, a fine line and it should just not happen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration