Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
He has always been a U.S. citizen (born in the United States, and legally adopted by a U.S. citizen couple). We depend on our society to fully observe our rights and citizenship status even when we cannot ourselves (we aren't deporting Alzheimer patients wandering on the streets after all). The system failed Mark Lyttle, and the compensation (which also should have had a higher punitive amount) was for that.
The difference is that most Alzheimer patients wouldn't claim they are from Mexico either. Mistakes are made. Get over it. He got his compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
He has always been a U.S. citizen (born in the United States, and legally adopted by a U.S. citizen couple). We depend on our society to fully observe our rights and citizenship status even when we cannot ourselves (we aren't deporting Alzheimer patients wandering on the streets after all). The system failed Mark Lyttle, and the compensation (which also should have had a higher punitive amount) was for that.
Why a higher punitive amount? It still comes down to him telling the agents he was from Mexico. So he got a trip to Mexico - and nothing bad happened to him there.

If he was deported to Canada would people be as up in arms over it? Or do I sense a little racism, a needless fear of someone finding themselves in Mexico?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM

As far as Alzheimers patients --- here were I live, there is a very strong tendency for them to deport themselves to Mexico. Every month or so there is a news story about a missing dementia patient. They're either found dead of dehydration in the desert or safe and sound in Juarez.

Man missing for nearly a week found in Juarez | www.kfoxtv.com

A family's desperate search to find their loved one came to an end Tuesday. The 77-year-old man was spotted in a Juarez nursing home and brought back across the border, according to family who spoke exclusively to KFOX 14.

74-year-old missing woman found in Juarez | www.kfoxtv.com

Missing Elderly El Paso Man Found Safe | KTSM News Channel 9 | News, Weather and Sports | El Paso, Las Cruces, Juarez

87- year-old Isidro Villanueva dissapeared yesterday morning from his home is West El Paso.
Police say he was found safe Wednesday afternoon at a church in Juarez.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why a higher punitive amount? It still comes down to him telling the agents he was from Mexico. So he got a trip to Mexico - and nothing bad happened to him there...
Do you understand what the punitive portion of a judgement is for?...

Quote:
...If he was deported to Canada would people be as up in arms over it? Or do I sense a little racism, a needless fear of someone finding themselves in Mexico?
Sense of a little racism by who?...

Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Do you understand what the punitive portion of a judgement is for?...

Sense of a little racism by who?...
Oh, I have a little feeling that if someone claimed to be here illegally from Canada and was then deported to Canada, you and others wouldn't be wringing your hands and whining about it.

The guy made a false claim, got sent to Mexico and nothing bad happened to him there and now he's back. Big deal.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Oh, I have a little feeling that if someone claimed to be here illegally from Canada and was then deported to Canada, you and others wouldn't be wringing your hands and whining about it.

The guy made a false claim, got sent to Mexico and nothing bad happened to him there and now he's back. Big deal.
You didn't read the whole story. Mark had to travel through Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala. Despite getting a U.S. passport and other documents at the U.S. Consulate in Guatemala, ICE held him for several days when he flew back to Atlanta, and tried to deport him again.

If the State Department and FBI can determine his U.S. citizenship so quickly, how come ICE couldn't do it after holding him in custody for months?...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
You didn't read the whole story. Mark had to travel through Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala. Despite getting a U.S. passport and other documents at the U.S. Consulate in Guatemala, ICE held him for several days when he flew back to Atlanta, and tried to deport him again.

If the State Department and FBI can determine his U.S. citizenship so quickly, how come ICE couldn't do it after holding him in custody for months?...
Because it is just one giant conspiracy/discrimination against those of Mexican ancestry in spite of the fact that even though many of their illegal counterparts are being given a pass on our immigration laws by our government?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Because it is just one giant conspiracy/discrimination against those of Mexican ancestry in spite of the fact that even though many of their illegal counterparts are being given a pass on our immigration laws by our government?
Mark Lyttle is not of Mexican ancestry...

Your conspiracies don't make sense...

Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Then why did he tell them he was a Mexican? What was the point in doing that?

I've been stopped and questioned by border agents 3 different times and when asked my citizenship, I did not choose to lie because for one what would be the point in lying unless you were trying to get yourself deported?

I'm quite sure if I would have told agents I was a Mexican, or Canadian, or German, or Italian, that I could have been questioned further and deported. Only an idiot would think it was a cute time to lie or that there are no consequences for claiming foreign citizenship.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Mark Lyttle is not of Mexican ancestry...

Your conspiracies don't make sense...
He told them he was. Why would they suspect he was lying?

In fact some Mexicans (and others) will lie and claim US citizenship. It's like if you're pulled over by the police because a crime was committed by someone in a similar vehicle and you claim you just robbed people.

This guy wasn't some innocent guy who just got deported, he brought it on himself.

As for traveling in Mexico and Guatemala and Honduras -- I've traveled all over Mexico and always wanted to travel to Central America --- I suspect this guy wanted the adventure because even if he was deported to Mexico because he claimed to be Mexican, that doesn't explain why we went further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration