Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times

Advertisements

We need to get rid of ESL, first of all. It doesn't work. This Texas taxpayer is sick of throwing good money after bad on ESL programs for kids whose families refuse to learn English...sometimes those kids were even born HERE in the USA and they're STILL not proficient in English.

So glad I didn't ever have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 AM

19 posts, read 12,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why does the hispanic community continue to boom and at the same time all we hear about is the are in poverty? Simple, the US government has done nothing to stop illegle immigration and even harbors them. They do not report wages or pay taxes as they should. So, they are getting free medical care to have even more children, get food stamps and TANF, and free school that is the heart of this article. All at taxpayers expense. Stop the cycle and the schools will have more funds and will improve again.

We can thank Obama for that. Costs are going up and results are going down.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:31 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So in that case all education is bad, since it is true, we the taxpayers pay for public education that the majority of children use.

You would rather there be no publicly funded education and the U.S. would sink in education attainment to maybe the level of Haiti?

The U.S. already ranks 25th in student Math skills out of 31 countries. You want it to go lower?
I will be blunt here: if you changed the immigration quotas in this country to reinstate European quotas prior to 1965, as well as increasing people of origin from Pan-Asian nations, the math skills would climb instead of fall.

That said, to be consistent with my premise that overpopulation is our nation's #1 problem, I argue for an outright freeze, indefinitely.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Quote:
And since when is education a bad thing?
When illegals who don't belong here over run our financial support system.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I looked for something saying "illegal aliens" in the article, and didn't find it...

We already discussed that Hispanic growth is not primarily driven by illegal immigrants and their children...

The topic was originally in Politics & was moved here.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Hispanic growth over the years has been driven a lot by illegal immigation. Go ahead and remain in denial if you wish.

Need say no more!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 PM

62,887 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That answer is a resounding no. Legal immigrants have never been "the" problem. It's always been illegal aliens that have caused all of the issues.
I am speaking of the family reunification immigrants. Some or many may becoming burdens to our country and living in poverty.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I am speaking of the family reunification immigrants. Some or many may becoming burdens to our country and living in poverty.
Define whom is encompassed by your "family reunification immigrants" category, and the different criteria from other immigrant categories that lead to your beliefs that they will become burdens to the United States and live in poverty...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
And since when is education a bad thing?
It is arguable that public education is a failed experiment. The trend is toward private schools and I believe that will continue.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:43 AM

62,887 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Define whom is encompassed by your "family reunification immigrants" category, and the different criteria from other immigrant categories that lead to your beliefs that they will become burdens to the United States and live in poverty...
I said some or possibly many. Are citizen sponsors mandated to provide their family member with health insurance? Are the citizens who sponsored a family member monitored for providing basic living expenses for them or they being self sufficient or do some or many end up on the public dole?

At any rate this is getting spun off into a discussion about legal immigrants and that wasn't my intent.

Last edited by Oldglory; 10-26-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration