Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times

Advertisements

I have a suggestion and would like your input. Why not stop the lost war on drugs and use the money to give local law enforcement incentives to round up illegal aliens? The money that law enforcement keeps is the primary reason so many drug raids are conducted. If this money were used instead to entice law enforcement to turn in illegals, I believe their population would diminish almost overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:40 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,541 times
It looks to me like the easiest answer is to stop enforcing laws all together. (said with despair in my voice)

It's not about choosing one "war" over another. We can't just quit fighting because it's gotten too hard. I think the first step is to secure our borders. Securing our borders will do a great deal in stopping the flow of drugs AND illegals from coming into this country.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:24 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Stop handing out the freebies, make it impossible for anyone in this country illegally to get a job, enforce current law and secure our borders.

That is how you deport illegal aliens. End the reasons they are coming here, take away the free food, medical care, education, housing, and jobs, and they will have no reason to stay.

Deportation through attrition.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
How do you round up illegals for deportation? Well, grabbing them at the illegal alien marches would be a good start. If you want local jurisdictions to get involved you would have to make it financially beneficial for them to do it. One possibility would be to seize assets of illegals and let local jurisdictions keep the assets to auction them off.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Stop handing out the freebies, make it impossible for anyone in this country illegally to get a job, enforce current law and secure our borders.

That is how you deport illegal aliens. End the reasons they are coming here, take away the free food, medical care, education, housing, and jobs, and they will have no reason to stay.

Deportation through attrition.
Excellent points. As long as there is incentive to be in a certain place people with migrate there by any means possible.

There is no humane method of securing our borders. Only a lethal deterrant would be successful and that would not be tolerated by our moral standards, even those who are exceptionally ardent about our border security.

If we limit our social programs to citizenry and legal visitors to our country, we will reduce our program costs and reduce incentives for illegals. Of course, we would look like uncaring bast*rds if we did that, so I would propose that we also provide our emergency social programs such as food and medical care to those illegals that request it on condition that they also allow voluntary deportation. In this way we provide those humanitarian services to those in our country who need it, but only temporarily until they can be peacefully removed.

If the cost of receiving these services are higher than the value of the services, there is no incentive for illegal migration.

We already have laws on the books to prevent legal employment and housing. The housing can be circumvented by having a good samaritan obtain the housing and provide it on a temporary basis to illegals. That would appear to just be a humanitarian act.

I agree with the educational benefits being restricted as well. One could argue that if the illegal could find acceptable temporary housing and had sufficient resources to pay for education, why not permit it? I have no unassailable reproach to that other than to postulate that someone unable to obtain legal resident status likely does not have legitimate resources to pay for non-resident education either. So the odds would be that they have obtained illegal employment or have income from "non-employment" sources.

I have to feel that illegals who commit legal offenses in the US should not be jailed on US soil, but should be turned over to their own governments for punishment. If their government is uninterested in incarcerating them, then they are free to release them in their own country. I see no sense in overcrowding our jails to the point our own criminals are either overcrowded or set free for lack of space while we house non-citizens. That is more of a miscarriage of justice than the potential lack of punishment for non-citizens.

I feel that our immigration policy should be loosened up as to how many legal immigrants we accept and for what periods, but that relaxation in policy must be counterbalanced with a toughening for how we treat those that violate our policies.

So, in effect a carrot and stick approach. Make things available for legal migrants and permit a bunch of them, shut down everything for illegals and throw them out when we find them.

It would be very hard on people at first, but it would make a much more sustainable policy in the long term and permit us with a much better border security.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:45 AM

48 posts, read 184,336 times
Illegals are not only from central and south America
They come from all over the world.
I wonder how much would it cost to send all these people back to their respective countries. Africa,China, India, The Carribean, Europe,Phillipines,Austrailia,
Just to name a few

Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
There is no humane method of securing our borders. Only a lethal deterrant would be successful and that would not be tolerated by our moral standards, even those who are exceptionally ardent about our border security.
What is inhumane about putting up a secure fence and backing that up with enough border patrol to make sure the fence isn't breached? These arguments that it is inhumane to deport people and keep them out of the country we've built over the last two hundred years are just the types of mamby pamby behavior that has let us get to this point where our own politicians favor THEM over US (legal residents and citizens). Someone breaks the law and invades our country, demanding citizenship and their "birthrights" and we wish to keep them out - that's inhumane?

And provide welfare services to these people to coax them to get out? Ha! All that will do is tell everyone else to flood over the borders to get their free humane care from the US and weekly checks from US taxpayers back in their own country... Man, I have just about seen the limit on this stuff. I can't understand the mentality of Americans that want to pander to the illegal crowd.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawo View Post
I wonder how much would it cost to send all these people back to their respective countries. Africa,China, India, The Carribean, Europe,Phillipines,Austrailia,
Just to name a few
True, but the vast majority are coming over the border from Mexico. And the cost and burden that they put on our country and infrastructure over the course of their entire lives costs far more than it would to deport them. I heard on the radio this morning that the cost illegal aliens will burden this country with over the next several decades (if amnesty is allowed) will be in the trillions of dollars. That doesn't even take into account the social implications such as them turning America into a third world country.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawo View Post
Just to name a few

This could be solved very easily, because we don't need to send them back. Any that don't go should be put on road gangs and fed green baloney sandwiches like they do down in Arizona at that tent city jail where it's 115 degrees in the shade. Remember, these illegals are all criminals, every single one of them. So we need to treat them like criminals. Not reward them. The only reason they are here in the first place is because they know there are no consequences to their actions. They can get caught a dozen times and never go to jail. We as a nation are literally paying them to break our law.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:40 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,314 times
Round them up just like ICE in L.A. said "Every single day, all day". ICE is rounding up at least 600,000. Deporting and NO employers hiring them will work just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration